Financing Med School for Non-Trad Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pardon me all if this has been covered, I did a couple of forum searches and didn't see too much that was helpful. Trying to target the audience.

So, I'm looking to get feedback on any military past or present who are currently, have in the past, or will in the future attend any medical school (preference for USUHS and public schools for this thread). I'm trying to figure out how to set myself up ahead of time to make going to medical school more than just financially viable, but very tolerable under a budget by figuring out how best to use Post 9/11. I don't know much about how to use Stafford Loans or Grad Plus and things like that. My current ideas and plans are to attend a public university (looked a lot into which schools will at least consider out-of-state students pretty regularly) where GI Bill will cover 90-100% of the tuition costs. So, after that, I know that you can take out loans and such. I am really looking for feedback from anyone who's done something similar to this? Or considered it and paid for it a different way? Or- this feedback would be much appreciated, in particular- someone who considered this subject and just decided USUHS was the must-go way with the ability to maintain same pay (looking for more detail than just that, if possible). For perspective, if I went USUHS, my pay grade would be O-3, 4+ years, maybe 6 depending on if I do an UQR before I decide to go to med school.

I appreciate any and all input related to these topics. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Pardon me all if this has been covered, I did a couple of forum searches and didn't see too much that was helpful. Trying to target the audience.

So, I'm looking to get feedback on any military past or present who are currently, have in the past, or will in the future attend any medical school (preference for USUHS and public schools for this thread). I'm trying to figure out how to set myself up ahead of time to make going to medical school more than just financially viable, but very tolerable under a budget by figuring out how best to use Post 9/11. I don't know much about how to use Stafford Loans or Grad Plus and things like that. My current ideas and plans are to attend a public university (looked a lot into which schools will at least consider out-of-state students pretty regularly) where GI Bill will cover 90-100% of the tuition costs. So, after that, I know that you can take out loans and such. I am really looking for feedback from anyone who's done something similar to this? Or considered it and paid for it a different way? Or- this feedback would be much appreciated, in particular- someone who considered this subject and just decided USUHS was the must-go way with the ability to maintain same pay (looking for more detail than just that, if possible). For perspective, if I went USUHS, my pay grade would be O-3, 4+ years, maybe 6 depending on if I do an UQR before I decide to go to med school.

I appreciate any and all input related to these topics. Thanks all.

GI Bill covers 100% of tuition costs for public schools for where you qualify as a resident (which with the new laws you should qualify as a resident in any state). It also includes BAH of an E5 w/ dependents for when you are in school. The only issue with it is it lasts 36 months, which with the schedule set up may or may not last the entirety of medical school. There are other options for payment with the VA, such as vocational rehab, but you need have a disability percentage to even apply for it. The major benefit of these options is no additional military obligation. I can't comment on USUHS. You will have a higher pay during school, but there are some downsides to military medicine that are elucidated at length in the military medicine forum.

I used post 9/11 GI Bill for my MS1 year and then switched to vocational rehab for the reasons elucidated above (voc rehab lasts longer and will not run out before I finish school).

Reactions: 1 user
I think basically, if you are not averse to borrowing is that you can use your GI bill to pay for tuition and receive a stipend. Then you can borrow ~ 40k a year to live on if need be. Again, my experience is anecdotal but most of the Army docs I ever worked with (and I was at BAMC for 4 years) were miserable. I have a few theories about why that is but you should try to shadow some Army docs and find out if it seems like something you would like. The few well adjusted miltary docs I knew were all former enlisted NCO's who basically wouldn't fit in the real world but were perfect for military medicine. Those few were immensely happy because battlefield medicine was their life's passion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's my plan so far. I intend to follow a military doc around a bit, but I have spoken to a few. I haven't found very many (read: none) who are crazy about it. And the anonymity of the internet has given me some who say they hate it. Though, battlefield medicine could appeal to me. I have a few theories, too, based on my experience with the army on why most hate it. Though, that's what the whole shadowing experience is for, I suppose.

Yeah, that's my plan so far. I intend to follow a military doc around a bit, but I have spoken to a few. I haven't found very many (read: none) who are crazy about it. And the anonymity of the internet has given me some who say they hate it. Though, battlefield medicine could appeal to me. I have a few theories, too, based on my experience with the army on why most hate it. Though, that's what the whole shadowing experience is for, I suppose.

It's the Army. It will suck the joy out of you throughout the years.

It's the Army. It will suck the joy out of you throughout the years.

No truer statement has been made this day.

It was more like a slow burn than a suck :D I will say with regard to Army docs, there are few things quite as entertaining and watching some of them send 30 rounds down range and not hit a single target. Before I knew that things like USUHS existed, I was totally miffed as to how these individuals chose a life of military service. Now it all makes sense :laugh: Whenever you would see all the range safety NCO's gathering up in one area, you knew there was a doc getting ready, lol.

Hey Dochopeful 89-- just wanted to add my $.02 for using the post 9/11 GI Bill. Best.deal.ever!!!!

I took the pre-reqs for med school when I was still active duty in night classes at the local university, and just paid for them out of pocket. I got out of the service (and accepted into a public in-state med school) with 100% of my Post 9/11 benefits left, and no disability rating. The GI Bill covers 100% of tuition for for 36 months, pays $1000 per year for books, and pays me BAH at E-5 w/ dependents rate.

The BAH is only paid during months with school, and it's pro-rated. So, for example, in December the semester ended in the middle of the month, and I only received half the month's BAH.

As was noted above, you only have 36 months of benefits, which doesn't really cover all four years of school. However, if you have 1 day of eligibility left when your tuition is due, the VA will pay it. So, my final semester (if all goes well) will start in Jan, 2019. That will also be my final month of eligibility. So, in theory, the VA will pay the tuition for my last semester, and one more month of BAH, and then my benefits will be exhausted. I won't be receiving any BAH my last semester, but all the tuition will be paid, which is still very awesome.

I think if you have some savings and live very frugally, you could get by without taking out any loans. You could also just take out small loans to supplement your living expenses. Either way, great deal all around.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
@need_some_coffee so glad to hear from someone that is doing this! Finishing undergrad at a cheap state school out of pocket in order to get the most bang for my buck from the Post 9/11. You'll have to let everyone in the non-trad forum know how financing that last semester works out.

Do you have any credits already? How were your grades/SATs in high school if you don't have any college credits/degrees already?

Are you currently servicing or are you a vet? Are you planning on returning to serve? .. It seems so since you list the military medical school.

If you're planning on returning to service, you can utilize the military Med school or HPSP to cover led school after using the GI Bill for undergrad.

If you're not planning on retuning and receive VA disability, you could qualify for Voc rehab, but wouldn't recommend applying for this without a med school acceptance in hand.

Your best bet if you have a strong HS transcript and SAT scores (assuming no college credits), would be to apply for a BS/DO or BS/MD program.

It will leave you in less debt overall if you need to take loans at any point, and if you qualify for Voc rehab, it gives you a form of acceptance to apply for it and potentially have all of it covered, especially if it's a 6 or 7 year program.

This is just my .02 though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app