Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Financing the application process

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by blackbird03, Sep 6, 2002.

1. blackbird03

blackbird03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi

Just wondering, How are you guys paying for all of this. I worked all summer and can barely cover my AMCAS fee and rent. I am now worried about how much secondaries and interviews will cost? Anybody in the same boat?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It is an incredibly expensive process. Ask friends, parents, grandparents, whomever, to help you out if you need it. Use a credit card (with the lowest interest rate you can find) if necessary. Unfortunately, it's just the way it is and it is definitely something to think about. However, depending on where you get accepted, the costs will only get worse (think $25,000+ per year for tuition alone at some schools not to mention living expenses, books, fees, transportation, rent, etc.). Yikes!

4. blackbird03

7+ Year Member

Thanks mpp

It is easy to lose track of the big picture when one barely has enough to survive. I guess I will take your advice and ask relatives for help, though it is hard for me to do. I've also thought about student loans. Do you know of any low interest student loan that would be willing to lend me a few thousand dollars?

5. athena21

athena21 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i mentioned this on a previous thread...but there are lots of credit card offers where there is 0% interest on charges for up to 1 year, sometimes 2 years...that way u can avoid interest. Make sure u pay within the year though! Otherwise it's something like 30% interest!

6. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

It's ridiculous. A couple hundred for AMCAS, plus $30/school. Then you have secondaries. That's like $50-100 each or so. Then you have interviews. The average person probably applies at least 10 places? So that's like maybe $1250 plus interviews, which are probably like $200-300 to fly to. My first car was probably worth about $500. You'd think it'd be an equitable process, but no...

-RA

7. blackbird03

7+ Year Member

athena,

Can you please tell me which credit card these might be?

otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to sell one of my kidneys:(

thanks

8. athena21

athena21 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a Citi Platinum Select card I've been using where it's 12 mos 0% APR--just make the minimum payment each month which is about $20 to $40 (depends on how much u charge). customer service # is 800-950-5114...maybe u can call them up and ask for an application? First North American National Bank has a deal where u get 3.9% APR for 6 mos and their number is 800-759-4093. good luck!

9. Bounty

Bounty 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Athena
    I just checked out the citicard website and it says that the 0% on that card is for balance transfers. Does that mean it isn't for regular purchases?
    Thanks,
    Bounty

10. athena21

athena21 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

apparently, the card i have from CITI was a limited time offer...u might be able to call them up and ask for it, but i think u need a certain income..

HOWEVER, i checked Discover Card's website and they have and Introductory 0% APR for all purchases and balance transfers for about 8 months. Here's the website where u can check it out and apply:

http://www.discovercard.com/discover/data/apply/

best of luck!

11. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm still paying off my credit card debt from applying a year ago! :eek:

Luckily, I got a Fleet Visa card that had 0% interest for 6 months....so I did a balance transfer from my previous credit card and I didn't have to pay it off until last month (though I'm not finished yet ;))

This is a very expensive process--it cost me at least $6,000, and you guys need to be ready to pay for expensive flights if you get called last minute to interview. So go get that credit card now, b/c it takes a few weeks.

buena suerte!

12. wolferman

wolferman Member?
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I went to a financial planning seminar held by an AAMC representative who mentioned that if your credit is too bad (lots of debt), some schools will refuse to give you financial aid, fearing that you'll go bankrupt while matriculating. In these cases, they make you defer a year in order to fix your finances. So I just worry about going in the hole too much during the whole process. Anyone else hear this?

13. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I heard that too....it's always best to borrow as much money as you can from family members, but also keep in mind that you'll probbaly be able to pay off the debt before med school starts (i.e. before they process your financial aid). They don't want you to have astronomical debts, but they realize it's an expensive process to get into med school.