Financing the Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreaminOfMD>.<

Addicted Member...;)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the whole process cost you? Where did you come up with that kind of money?

I know there's like this Fee Assistance Program which I'm currently applying for, but I'm pretty stressed thinking about the costs. I really would like to apply to alot of schools (a broad range) but I'm freaked out that I'll be severely limited b/c of the costs. I mean, it ain't just the apps...it's the plane tickets, the stay during your interview, the secondaries (separate fee right?), etc...

How did you guys do it?

I hope all of that paid off for you guys and congrats on your acceptances...:)

Members don't see this ad.

Just another reason to apply early. The sooner you apply, the more likely you will get early acceptances, so you may be able to cancel later interviews and save a good deal of $$$.

At almost every school, you can stay with a student host when you interview, so you don't have to pay for a hotel. Even if the school doesn't initially offer you this option, if you ask, they often will provide you with some names.

Best of luck!

All things considered, I spent just under $3,000 (amcas + mcat + secondaries + suit + travel to interviews). I worked two jobs over the summer (one full time and one part time) and also two part-time jobs during the first semester of this school year to pay for it all and still, you know, eat and stuff.
Start saving your $$ now!!! Those secondary fees really add up. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my mother to pay for it
It was her idea to start with ;)

Don't go gaga over the application cost
ever thought about your 4 years of undergrad, if not postbac, etc?
it is all part of the package
the application is just drop in the bucket

I spent around a 1,500 and didn't get in. Applying again next year.

Last year I knew that I would need some extra cash so I took out a loan. This semester I got a scholarship for my undergrad research (1.5 K). Trying to secure it again in the summer and next fall. If so I'll use that money for the application process.

Ok...thats...alot of money...but then again, it also depends on how many schools you guys applied to and how many secondaries you got back right?

About the student host thing...I've never heard of it. So, you pretty much spend the night at a stranger's dorm/apartment? That's got to be a little wierd...

oops.....I almost forgot..... and $400 for a new suit (ugh!)
Oh yeah, I forgot about that too...If I'm lucky enough to get an interview, I gotta get me one of those too.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by dreaminOfMD>.<

About the student host thing...I've never heard of it. So, you pretty much spend the night at a stranger's dorm/apartment? That's got to be a little wierd...

Not weird at all since it is common at most medical schools. Its great because it not only saves you money but the host can give you better insight on what the school is all about. But ya...you basically spend the night at a student's place. These students sign up to host people so its not like the school just tosses you with some random student. If there happens to be a big midterm or test when you interview it is likely that all the hosts will be busy and won't be letting interviewees stay over. But most other times there are usually hosts the school can pair you up with during your interview.

Just remember that they are not motels though. So bring your own towel, toiletries, etc. Also it is usually common courtesy to treat your host out to dinner or something or to get them a small gift and thank you card at the very least. Not required but a little thanks even if it is just in the form of a card is always nice.

Applications alone (AMCAS, secondaries and non-AMCAS fees) cost me $1205 for 11 schools. To send my letters of rec cost me $55. $180 to take the MCAT, $20 for a handful of transcripts to be sent which adds up to $1460. $200 for a new suit, and $600 for airfare ends up at $2260.

And that was only 11 schools. I hate to think about those people that applied to more...

Including time off work (lost wages) about 10K. That included an MCAT prep course, 26 primaries, 24 secondaries, 13 interviews (12 out of state), airfare (7 separate trips East), amtrack between schools on the east coast, hotels when I couldn't get a host, food while traveling... about 7-8K without lost wages.

But I got in to where I wanted to be, and didn't have to do it again.

How? I worked, Stafford loans contributed about 1500, and my father (who was my boss during my year applying) kindly offered to give me vacation pay for some of the days I had to miss, which made a huge difference.

woops, thanks for doin the search anyway pocwana. i forgot all about it...oh well, we can just keep goin here on my thread.

anybody else wanna post? i seriously need to start saving BIG TIME!

23 primaries = $1350
19 Secondaries = $840
7 interviews = ~$1500 (good thing we had tons of flier miles saved)

Total ~$3700

While my dad helped me with travel expenses, the other $2200 in application fees all went on my 2 credit cards.

Word to the wise: I heard at a presentation by an AAMC rep that it's important not to accrue too much debt, because some schools will be hesitant to let you matriculate until the debt load is managable. After all, they don't want you declaring bankruptcy half-way through your first year or getting black marks on your credit report.

Just for application fees, including secondaries, about $100/school is a good estimate. Hence, I spent about $1000 on that since I applied to 10 schools. My other costs were minimal, I think $80 for a suit and I drove to all my interviews, so no plane tickets. But I specifcally applied places I could drive to, since I had quite a good selection in that range (I'm in Virginia and a 12 hour drive was "in range"). I also worked 2 jobs that summer since I had to pay for that and half my tuition for the next year.

I came home one day - looked at my dad and said , can I borrow 1500$ ? And he choked and asked me why....and then he agreed but on the condition that I never put him in a rest home.