FINCH and MCP HAHNEMANN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dknykid1980

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was just wondering, if anyone has any suggestions about these two schools (MCP HAHNEMANN and FINCH). I'm from the Chicagoland area and my GPA is about 3.35, havent taken the MCATS in august yet. The reason my gpa is low is cuz i had a little too much fun my freshman year, but I did improve. I have volunteer experience, research, shadowing, etc. DOes anyone have any suggestions ???

Members don't see this ad.

The problem with Finch (for us as Illinois residents) is that they take 1/2 of their entering class from California and Illinois is 2nd in the class representation. MCP also is known for taking alot of out-of-state students, which can be a good thing for IL residents. With a 3.35 GPA, you'd think that MCP and Finch would give you the Rob Roddy "C'mon down!", but they don't. Their averages are highly deceiving. I know of graduates from Cal-Berkeley with 3.6 GPAs and 32 MCATs getting into Finch. Now, I'm not saying you CAN'T get in with your GPA, but I'm saying think again if these schools look appealing because they look easy to get into. Now, I DO think you can get into a medical school as long as you score around the national mean for accepted allopathic students...in other words a 30 or 31 would help your case. Let's say you get a 30 MCAT. You should apply to U of I, Loyola, RUSH, etc. Apply to all of the in-state schools as well as some private, out-of-state schools. If you have the bankroll, apply to 20, 25, or 30 schools. Also, I think with your academic improvement, you'll impress some folks in an admissions department somewhere. Also, I'd recommend that you investigate osteopathic medicine and its corresponding schools. You seem like an ideal candidate for a DO school. Look into it and see if it's for you. At this point, I'd say that you're only savior is the MCAT. That test can possibly put you over-the-top and into medical school, which is where you want to be.

Best of luck!

I just want to say my roommate is going to Finch and he graduated from UC Berkeley with a 3.6 and a 33 MCAT. Another one of my friends is also going there with a 3.65 and a 32 MCAT.
So you are right on Atlas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I read your earlier post regarding your friends who got into Finch and I was indirectly talking about them too. It's quite a place that Finch is! Their averages are very deceiving! I thought it was gonna be easy to get in there too, but then withdrew that notion as soon as I figured out that the school is loaded with 3.6s and 3.7s from top schools. Heck, the reason their GPA is on the lower end is because they'll accept people with lower grades, but they make up for it with high MCATs and strong undergraduate backgrounds (e.g. Harvard). I had them highly ranked on my list a year ago and today I'm not at all interested in applying to the school. I know that as an Illinois resident from a small liberal arts school, I'm at a disadvantage in the application process, which is sad.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Atlas:
•I think I read your earlier post regarding your friends who got into Finch and I was indirectly talking about them too. It's quite a place that Finch is! Their averages are very deceiving! I thought it was gonna be easy to get in there too, but then withdrew that notion as soon as I figured out that the school is loaded with 3.6s and 3.7s from top schools. Heck, the reason their GPA is on the lower end is because they'll accept people with lower grades, but they make up for it with high MCATs and strong undergraduate backgrounds (e.g. Harvard). I had them highly ranked on my list a year ago and today I'm not at all interested in applying to the school. I know that as an Illinois resident from a small liberal arts school, I'm at a disadvantage in the application process, which is sad.

Thank you.•

Their average GPA is ~3.3 and avg MCAT is ~29 for accepted applicants. Those numbers aren't the pits, but are hardly deceiving.

dknykid, actually i don't think your situation is as bleak as others may feel it is. your gpa is on the lower end of accepted candidates but is in no way uncompetitive. plenty of people (myself included) suffer academically when they first begin college but rebound strongly as college progresses--adcoms certainly take this into account and i've even been told that they are often quite willing to overlook bad freshman grades as long as a big improvement is made. the trend in grades matters a lot! but everyone is right in saying that this all hinges on your mcat scores. if you score around a 30 (and especially if your scores are very balanced among the three subtests) i would go for it. atlas's advice is good: apply to all of the IL schools (although northwestern and pritzker will be reaches--NU may not even send you a secondary) and as many other schools that accept high numbers of out-of-state applicants as you can afford. the process is a crapshoot and if the rest of your application is strong, you may fare better than you think.

finch's numbers really do seem to be misleading. my impression of the school is that anyone who has other options goes elsewhere. i've heard student happiness is pretty low. how their averages remain relatively low is interesting, however. the only people i know who have interviewed there are those with high numbers. this is my second time through the application process and the first time around, i wasn't even offered an interview, even though my numbers are above their averages (i'm an IL resident too). in fact, the only people i know who have actually matriculated there are all CA residents. finch is a mystery to me.

With all due respect...

Doggy,

How can you say those numbers are not misleading? Sure the average is a 3.3, but it seems that the trend is to enroll California residents with high GPAs and MCATs. Sure, the school probably accepts students with lower GPAs, but those are people from Harvard, Stanford, etc. that have other outstanding accomplishments like a high MCAT score and great volunteer/research experiences. Frankly, the 3.3 gpa makes the school look easy to get into, but we all know that it's not. That's where it becomes misleading. We know that you need a high gpa (a 3.35 WON'T keep you out!) and at least an average MCAT score to be considered for an interview. Illinois residents with 3.5 or even 3.6 GPAs don't fare as well as the California folks with the same averages, statistically. The school is indeed a mystery in that respect.

Sandflea,

I agree that he has a chance to get into a school this year. The missing link is that MCAT. Without it, it's hard to tell how strong of a candidate he'll be.

Atlas,

An "Office Space" quote...nice :)

Chicago Med has an applied physiology Masters of Science program. I heard they give priority to students that finished the degree and that they accept a set number of students from the program every year into thier med school. someone speculated this might be the sourse of the deceiving low gpa average. i've only heard of people with high gpas but weak MCATs from good schools get into Finch. One Indian girl who got in last year had a 3.9 from berkeley, but a 6VR 9PS 10BS, if I remember correctly.

My premed advisor mentioned to be that Finch was impacted, because many students assume it to be a "backup" school, so they all apply to finch, I think last year 9,500+ students applied there.

Yes, this is what I have heard as well. Thanks guys for your input. I mean I guess I took it took Finch to be a "backup" as well, however, it does seem that Cali students are given priority because of their relatively excellent MCAT scores due to their experience with taking standardized tests on a regular basis in cali.

I am considering that physiology program for sure though. But does anyone have any valuable input on MCP as well??

Alot of people apply to MCP as a backup as well because they have a GPA average around 3.35 and people assume that it's easier to get into. All-in-all, the same rules that apply at Finch are game at MCP with respect to admissions. Alot of good applicants are turned away.

To Pre-hawkdoc,

You like that, huh?! :) Office Space is my favorite movie.

For Atlas & pre-hawk doc: "Damn, it feels good to be a Gangsta!" :cool: :D

there are no back ups in med schools...someone with a 3.8 and 35 mcat's never receive interviews from MCP or finch...also, i know an art major/bio minor going to wash u. with a 3.3 and 29 on mcat's; probably the artistic side of him got him through...

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn! I need to apply to Wash U! lol :D Seriously, I thought I was way outta their league with my measely 3.6 GPA. I'm applying to SLU no matter what, but now I'm going to reconsider Wash U after hearing that story! Thanks for the enlightenment. But, You and I must realize that this person attending Wash U is a special case. He/She must be a special person, indeed, and they must have some exceptional ability that Wash U couldn't pass up. What that is exactly..I dunno. It just goes to show how med school isn't really about numbers as much as it is about selling yourself when given the chance.

To Prayin,

Dude don't get me started with all those Office Space songs!!! lol :) I love that part in the movie where Michael Bolton is driving to work and listening to his rap music. I think it's hilariously funny because I look like him and I love my rap music! "I got my pistol point cocked...ready to ring shots nonstop...."!..."I got this killer up inside of me...I can't talk to my mother so I talk to my diary!" lol :D Man, That is the best movie EVER! AHHHHHHHH!!!!! :D Brain freeze!

Why should I change my name? He's the one that sucks.
...and I could see the squirrels and they were merry.
Man, this could be a thread all by itself (of course, it would have to be moved to the lounge, per Dr. Cox).

This is too funny. LOL. And I thought I was the only freak out there who loves this movie. It's wonderful to think that these are my future colleagues. I am proud to be a part of the Office Space Club and this is a day that will live on in history. :D ;)

Damn, it feels good to be an Office Space Fan! :cool:

This definitely deserves its own thread in the Lounge. It has inpired me to watch it again soon. :D

I totally agree! I'm in good company and we deserve to make a separate thread featuring our favorite lines or parts from Office Space. It's way cool how there are others out there who have actually seen the movie! Most people I try talking to about it say they haven't seen it! They're totally missing out. I know when I have a bad day I can come home and laugh my arse off at that movie and my day is all good! lol "(Lawrence)I'll tell you what I'd do man...2 chicks at the same time man! (Peter) That..That's it. You'd do two chicks at the same time? (Lawrence) Yeah..I figure if I was a millionaire I could hook that up cause chicks dig dudes with money. (Peter) Well...not all chicks! (Lawrence) Well...the types that double up on a dude like me do!" Muahahahaa! That's the best! Where can we sign up an official 'Office Space' forum?! :D

P.S. It's amazing how fast the topics change on this forum isn't it?

"Yeah, That would be GREEEEEEEAT!" Yes, it's amazing how the topics change here. It's just a good thing Milton's not talking because we wouldn't get anywhere! Then again, there *are* some Milton's on this board-- you gotta admit that. :D

No doubt! We have our share of Milton, Samirs, and Mike Boltons around this joint. "Yes...Bbbut..I.wuz..told that I could keep mmy stappplerr." That's horrible, but it happens!

Hey Atlas and praying:

Yeeeaaaah hi. Did ya get that memo? It's not a half day today...
Oh, and it looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays.

(P) "Lawrence, when you go to work, does anyone ever say to you 'it sounds like a case of the Mondays'?" (L) "No...No!...NO! S$%T, man I believe you'd get your a$$ kicked saying something like that!"

Funny story related to 'Officespace' ...

I went to undergrad in Evanston, IL and Samir from the movie went to Evanston High. My college roommate and his brother also went to Evanston High. So ...

Last Thanksgiving, I decided to spend the day with my friend's family (since his mom was cooking a big meal, and my parents were planning on coming to visit the next day). Lo and behold, I get there, and there is Samir snacking on some chips. His mom and my friend's mom were good friends, I guess. I was talking to him, and I told him how much I (and most of the college world) really appreciated 'Officespace' ... He was gracious and all, but I think he wants to be known more as a serious actor ... Anyway, he was the nicest guy and I can't wait to see that movie again. In fact, I think I'll rent it tomorrow...

Simul
Tulane Med '05

Originally posted by SimulD:
•...In fact, I think I'll rent it tomorrow...

You mean you don't OWN it??? Cool story though. If that happened to me, I'm pretty sure I'd be making the Oh face. You know what I mean...OH OH...

Dude, I'm one of those cali-dudes that take all those standardized tests and dude I totally like office space, especially that sweaty scene with jennifer aniston and the boss. Ohh and that rap song scene was one of the best ever, next to the button restaurant!

Great story SimulD! I would totally freak out if he was at the same party as me, especially if we have some type of personal connection! That's awesome! Did you get an autograph? Lol...Prehawk, I guess you could say we'd definately bring our "OH!" faces. lol :D I never was asked by my high school counselor what I'd do if I had a million dollars! What would you do? :D Let's get this party started!

"PC load letter...what the !*&% does that mean!?"

LOVE that movie! My favs:

"You know the Nazis had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear."

"Hey man, it's the breast exam again!"

And the best line of the whole film from Milton:

"ummm, ok, well, That's the last straw..."

:)

I watched it last night and thought about SimulD's post about the party and when they went to Tom's Bar-B-Q I started cracking up! I thought about Samir eating chips! Anyways..I like it when they as the lawyer about minimum security prison and Michael Bolton and Samir both bobble their cups and a piece of ice flies up and knocks Samir right in the head! I was rollin'! Another thing that cracks me up is everytime I go into a restauramt like TGI Friday's, I think about that spunky Brian guy. GOD!...Why do I always get stuck with the super enthusiastic waiters!?

I hadn't checked out this topic until today, and thought I would see what the most recent posts were. Imagine my surprise to see a whole page of "Office Space" quotes. I thought I had the wrong thread for a second.

Originally posted by dknykid1980:
•it does seem that Cali students are given priority because of their relatively excellent MCAT scores due to their experience with taking standardized tests on a regular basis in cali.

Well, I spent most of my life in Cali public schools, and then a Cali private college, and I don't think I took any more standardized tests than someone from Illinois or Virginia, so I'm not sure about this theory of yours. I don't know if CA students as a group have higher MCAT averages than students from other states.

My only advice is that if other parts of your application are strong, apply to places you are interested in even if your GPA or MCAT is lower than a school's stated average. I think every school I interviewed at, my GPA was lower than their average, but I know my application made it up for it in other ways. Good luck.

I've been waiting tables at night to save money for August. I cna't even tell you how much I laughed when I saw the part about not having enough "flair" the last time I watched that movie. It's so different to be in food service when you're not a "lifer"

aaammmm Can someon tell me what was the TOPIC
again :rolleyes: I gues I am lost in some where :D

The topic has changed to: State your favorite quotes from the movie Office Space!

PCL,

I know what you're talking about because I worked in food service (Chuck E Cheese's) too for 3 years, but we didn't have pieces of flair. We had to wear the damn rat costume! Now that's bad! So...I can relate!