Finch-Chicago Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pi__Guy1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the general reputation of this school? Is it on par w/ other Chicago med schools like Loyola, UIC, Rush?

Members don't see this ad.

c'mon...i know this thread is being read! there were like 11 views in the last minute...lol. anyone care to chime in?

it's a good school...but most ppl think it's not on-par with the other schools you listed.

(and that's probably because their published stats are lower , lower GPA and MCAT, HOWEVER, from what I heard, that's because they took a lot of students from their post-bacc program and that brought down the average)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Finch on par with other Chicago schools? I guess you have to define what you mean by "on par". Does it have the reputation that other Chicago schools have? Certainly not. On the other hand, it is a US medical school... enough said.

Don't worry so much about whether it is on par. Is it a good fit for you? Do you want to live in North Chicago/Waukegan (over an hour from downtown Chicago)? Do you want to pay almost 40k$ a year? Do you like the curriculm?

I wish people would stop worrying about rankings and which school is "better" than another. Find a place that you are interested in.

Originally posted by uwcoxswain

I wish people would stop worrying about rankings and which school is "better" than another. Find a place that you are interested in.

True.
I think that for a lot of people, this is the best way to approach choosing a school. Find a place you love and really want to be for the next few years.

Thanks for the info guys! I was just curious...I'm a 2nd year dental student at NYU:D

Does anyone who interviewed at Finch have any idea when we are going to start hearing back?

It could take a long, long time. They don't have a waitlist, so they hold on to applications for a while. I met a few people at Finch who were told in June that they could start in July.

i don't know much about the curriculum, research, etc. at finch, but i heard for your first two years, you're literally out there in the middle of nowhere...plains as far as the eye can see. is this true? i'm not finch bashing, i heard their trauma teaching hospitals are great.

I interviewed at Finch at the beginning of the month and they told me they'll do the first rounds of admissions committee for decisions the first week in December.

I interviewed Oct. 23 and we were told we'd hear in 2-3 weeks....Still haven't heard anything.

For everyone who interviewed 10/23 and maybe other dates as well:

I just called today and they adcom met and made their first decisions. And the receptionist said he's not supposed to tell me, because it's not official (they need a signature-I'm guessing the deans), but I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAHOOOO I am at work, and I want to run around and scream and yell, but I can't, will wait until 5pm. I'm so excited but I don't want to tell all of my friends and fam, because it's not official, but I definately told everyone I am close to.

They said they will be mailing these out. YEAH! YEAH! I can't believe I am really going to medical school and I am going to be a doctor AHHHHHHHHHHH What a load off.

Originally posted by Pi__Guy1
Thanks for the info guys! I was just curious...I'm a 2nd year dental student at NYU:D

that's a wierd question. why do you care?:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations snowbear!!! That's awesome.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanx too much,

I am dying right now, at work highlighting some stupid deposition and I want to be partying. But your clapping smileyfaces definately help.

HEY SNOWBEAR !!!
YOU DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

YEAH, more clapping smileyfaces, and they are clapping for me.

I just told my boyfriend, and he was all--I knew you'd get in. No one understands how awesome this is, except sdners.

I will survive on smileyfaces until I can party after work.

are they mailing them out tomorrow?

congrats though :)

im waiting on this to decide whether or not to go to another interview. it would take a load off

I am not sure when they are mailing them off, it might not be for a couple of days if they still need a sig, I am not sure? You should just call if you're waiting to decide whether to go to another interview; they were very nice to me when I called and they didn't sound bugged at all. But maybe you should go check the other school out just in case, you never know.

Originally posted by snowbear
No one understands how awesome this is, except sdners.

SO TRUE! congrats!

hey snowbear, i took your advice and called.
i didnt know how to just ask, so i took a roundabout way instead haha.
i asked them about updating my file, grades, etc.
he asked for my name, and put me on hold for a bit.
came back and told me, i didn't need to update my file. and to call back tomorrow. i know they give out no rejection until registration, soooo
i think im in too, but ill probably know for sure tomorrow?

i hope its good news as well.

thanks

Awesome,

That does sound like good news. Let me know what happens when you call back. I bet they are getting the signature today and so they want to make sure before they tell you. I am very interested to receive the acceptance in the mail. Yeah Finch! So, what do you think the probability is that you will go there?

thanks.

the suspense wouldve killed me.

im not too sure, i probably want to stay in state if i can because of costs/family. but i also have family in chicago, and i really enjoyed my time at the school, so it'll be a tough decision. ive gone through undergrad wanting/hoping to get out of florida, but now im confused. what about you?

Hey Snowbear.. I have sent you a message with my question but havent heard back from you.. Might be a technical glitch.. But since we have thekaratekim here . . let me paste my PM here..
thekaratekim - Please answer this if you can :::

Hey Snowbear,
First of all CONGRATS !! That is an awesome JOB !! I am very happy for you ..
I am playing all my cards for Finch next year..
My stats are
3.2 Ugrad
3.35 BCPM
3.7 PostBacc (Well this gets added to Undergrad overall.. and gave me the 3.2 you are looking at)
3.5 Masters
2 years Research in Computer Science
1 year Volunteer experience
Lots of EC

Please tell me from your experience if I stand a chance..
I am applying for Fall 2005 entry.. and I am taking the MCATS in April 2004. .. Please give me any adivice that you think is appropriate.

I AM NERVOUS

TX
Intl MED

Sorry,

I have never used PM, so I don't know about it, but I will try to figure it out now.

Is your volunteer or any of your ECs clinical experience? You definately should have a solid year of clinical experience, but if you don't, don't worry you can start some now if you have the time. And I even advise that you do some more now, to better your chances with all med schools, if you have the time.

But the rest of your record looks great, for a wide range of schools, not just Finch ( I think Finch is less selective in terms of GPA/MCAT). From what I know, and it makes sense, the adcoms look at your most recent gpa and I know that graduate work is more difficult, so you are set with that. They will also like that you have solid research in computer science.

If you are set on going to Finch, make sure you let them know that. On their secondary, I think they ask "Is there anything you want the adcom to know?" And if they don't , you can still tell them. The thing with this app process, is that it is a big crapshoot, and so if you are set on one place, you should tell them.

As for the MCAT, good luck. Try not to get too overwhelmed. Definately start preparing asap--if you aren't amazingly self disciplined you might want to try a class--I know it's expensive. ALso, start getting your lORs now, 'cuz professors can lag. And start writing your personal statement if you haven't already. TURN IN YOUR APP AS EARLY AS YOU CAN! Finch doesn't have any essays on their secondary, but if you want good chances with other schools too, you might consider finding secondaries from this year and maybe think about the essays in the lag time between primaries and secondaries. I didn't do this, but I wish that I had. I know this sounds like a lot, but just take it one day at a time.

Good luck with everything

Thank you so much for your response snowbear. I will definitely start working on that Research aspect.. But.. If you have time.. can you fill me in on what GPA's did you see as competetive for Finch .. ???
Just Curious

Originally posted by thekaratekim
thanks.

the suspense wouldve killed me.

im not too sure, i probably want to stay in state if i can because of costs/family. but i also have family in chicago, and i really enjoyed my time at the school, so it'll be a tough decision. ive gone through undergrad wanting/hoping to get out of florida, but now im confused. what about you?

Me too. I want to stay in Cali 'cuz of cost and fam. I also have fam in chicago. But I really did like the school. It will be nice to be near a big city, but have the cheaper cost of living in a suburb. ANd the clinical training in 3 and 4th years in Chicago will be awesome. If things don't work out in Cali, I would definately consider going to Finch. It's just nice to know now that I will definately be going to med school this next fall, and to stop thinking "what will i do if I don't get in?"

Originally posted by IntlMed
Thank you so much for your response snowbear. I will definitely start working on that Research aspect.. But.. If you have time.. can you fill me in on what GPA's did you see as competetive for Finch .. ???
Just Curious

I think that patient contact in a clinical setting, more than research, is the best bet, but both are awesome. I think the averages for last years class were 3.5, I know it is in the admissions brochure on the website. I have it at home and if this is wrong, I will let you know.

Thanks for your responses snowbear.
Congrats once again

For those of you who have interviewed ... how long did it take Finch to notify you of an interview? And how did they contact you, email or snail?

My app was completed in late Sept and I am thinking about calling in to check on my status ...

Thanks.

i think i was complete by late august or early september (sorry im not too keen on the exact dates). i got the interview invite by snail mail in mid october.

It took a little over a month for them to send out the interview invitations, by regular mail. (just got mine Yay!!!!)

H i all....

ok thekaratekim I called them too and got the exact same response. I was put on hold and then told to call back later this week, I think they said Friday, apparently not all the decisions have been made 100% final or something...

Man I hope and pray I get in too.... Finch is such an awsome school...

And snowbear congrats .... I hope to be seeing you next year...:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

he told you that you didnt need to update either?

hmmm. that would be cool if we both got in...

could it mean something else though, ...like maybe he's just waiting for the decisions and then when we call back he will let us know if we really do need to update?

He never said anythign about updating, just that the school has a new dean and therefore the process is going a little slower than expected.

He told me that the committee met, and I'm assuming that now all that remains is the 'official' signature by the dean.

I am going to call later on today and check my status,

Yeah it would be great if we both got in :) hey when did you interview? I interviewed on Dec 4 and looooved the school :)

i interviewed on nov 20 and got the same impression from the school as you.

good luck, and let us know what happens.
im so scared to call back today...gah

i called today. still not official. but he said i have nothing to worry about. i think that means im in.

Hi thekaratekim,

Yeah I called back as well and the admissions officer told me that he had 'good news' for me but yeah it wasn't 'official' they need to get some signatures from the dean. So I assume that means an acceptance.

I hope so.... well anyhow good luck, lets hope we get the letters by next week :)

Supposedly the USMLE Step 1 average at HMS is the same as at Finch. Hard to believe..Urban myth???

In any case the worst student at HMS is still got a lot more going for him than an average student at Finch.

Namebrand means everything in this world.

At the end of the day your success is NOT measured by the 'name brand' of school you go to BUT by what kind of physician you make...... a board certified plastic surgeon from Finch can definetly be as successful as one from HMS or any othe rmedical college.

I saw first hand the types of residences that FUHS grads get, and they are VERY competitive, including dermatology and opthamology. So to say that Finch grads don't do well on their boards is completely wrong. The average score is VERY high! and definetly on par with all other american colleges.

To put the school down simply because its not 'brand name' is elitist, it also shows that you don't know much about the school.

Finally, how do you know that HMS students have more 'going on' than Finch students? What you did some kind of statistical survey on who's 'happier' or 'more successful'?

Bottom line.... loose the elitist attitude and think before you talk.

just got back from my Finch interview.....i have never imagine that i would be saying this, but "FINCH IS MY #1 CHOICE AMONG SCHOOLS I INTERVIEWED!!"

i LOVE the school :)

hopefully I will get in! :cool:

Congrats! Yeah!

Did you call this morning?

thanks. yep i called around 11 this morning.

my mom started screaming when i told her. haha.
more excited than me i think.

congrats to you too.

the letters will be mailed either today or monday. it includes info on housing etc.

Congratulations all....

I just called and they told me that I was accepted too; I'm so very thrilled this is great.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

welcome to the club!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

but definitely congratulations....

hurray!
what luck, that all three of us were accepted and not on of the unfortunate ones to call in and get no news at all.

Originally posted by jlee9531
welcome to the club!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

but definitely congratulations....

Did you get in too? Congratulations!