Finch/CMS Medical Radiation Physics?? Medical physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoobie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading online about their MIS and MRP program and found both interesting. From what I gathered, the MIS is a 1 yr program directed at people who are dead set on medical school (similar to the AP program, but geared more for those interested in radiation) and the MRP program is a 2yr program designed for someone that wants to pursue medical physics or medicine. (well, this is what I could gather from the websites).

So my question; is the MRP (medical radiation physics) program at finch a good/reputable program for those that might be considering medical physics as a career? or is it just an "extended filler aka unusable degree except to get into med school" program for the time off b/w admission? (ex: like the smp at GT, mams at BU, AP at finch, etc...). I've been on aapm.org , campep.org ,etc... and finch doesn't appear anywhere.

I'm just trying to consider different options if medicine wasn't written in the stars for me.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Scoob

Members don't see this ad.

hey...
the mrp is a pretty decent degree... many of the grads earn in the ballpark of 80 grand starting salary. the faculty at finch has a lot of connections in the medical physics community in chicago too.

the mis degree is more like the ap degree... kinda useless... but good if you just need something so you can prove you can hang with the med students and get into med school.

the mrp class does not take any medical school classes and it is not really directed to those who are dead set on medicine... but the mis degree is.

Thanks for the info. Are you by any chance enrolled (or have been) in one of the programs? If so, which one and how did you like it?

80g's starting...not bad for a 2yr masters. ;)

Scoob

just bumping this up to see if anyone else might have some input and to see if any SDNers have chosen this route.