Finch Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettymean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was offered an interview at the Chicago Medical School on May 29th. My question is should I bother to go? The date seems a bit too late for me. I am concerned that the 185 spots maybe all filled up by the time they interview me. Plus flying to Chicago (round trip) and living accomodation are not cheap either. Notwithstanding the fact that I am already accepted into a medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think you should bother going then, especially with an acceptance. finch is not actually in chicago. it's in waukegan, which is a suburb about 40 miles from the city. generally, people don't like the school because it is in the middle of nowhere and their stats aren't so high either. i think because it's not too popular a school with many people, they keep interviewing for a while. they also don't have a wait list so they just keep your file around until their class is filled.

i interviewed there a few months ago . . . and that's what i can tell you. but hey, airfare's kinda cheap nowadays so you can go for it. but i'd say you wouldn't be missing much by not going.

Originally posted by prettymean
Hi, I was offered an interview at the Chicago Medical School on May 29th. My question is should I bother to go? The date seems a bit too late for me. I am concerned that the 185 spots maybe all filled up by the time they interview me. Plus flying to Chicago (round trip) and living accomodation are not cheap either. Notwithstanding the fact that I am already accepted into a medical school.

I'm a third-year at CMS and I can tell you it's a good school, regardless of what other people may say based on "reputation." The first two years are spent out in the suburbs, which kind of sucks, but may be a good thing if you are easily distracted. You can live in Lake Forest, which is a very nice little town (has a Ferrari dealership!), or Highland Park (Michael Jordan lives there). You can also live in the new campus housing if you want. If you want to live downtown, it is possible to commute using the metra rail (in retrospect, I would have done this). The teaching is excellent, as is board preparation. Our class averaged 220 this year. Clinical training is very good, I felt well prepared to enter clerkships. I think we compare very favorably to students from other, more notoriousj Chicago schools. Socially I think the school has improved since merging with the Scholl podiatry school. There are a lot more acitvities than there used to be, and dating opportunities abound. The third/fourth years are spent in downtown Chicago, and none of our rotations are really malignant. The hospitals we rotate through are very good for learning, and include the infamous Cook County. I did ER, medicine, and pediatrics there.

Our match list is okay, and getting better, but it's still no where near those of top 20 schools.

I probably wouldn't give up attending a top 30 school to go here, but if your other acceptance is at a top 50+ school, or is in a lousy location, give CMS a look.

They still accept people up to the day before classes begin, I know at least one example from my class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to interview feed back section to see what people have to say about this school...not very good remarks.

Oh yeah, they're affiliated with a podiatry school....enough said.

Dude,
What does a school's affiliation with a podiatry school have to with anything???!!!!! I am so freakin' tired of people making lame ass remarks on how crappy med school "X" is...esp. because its not in the top freaking 70 schools!!! Give me a break!!
If you're a doctor...you're a doctor....your patient isn't going to be concerned with where you went to med school....
whether you become an awesome doc or a mediocre doc...depends on YOU not the med school you go to!!!
To the OP: research the school for yourself...go!! Its an opportunity...I know its an expensive one, but why not give it a shot...obviously they see something in you since they are inviting you for an interview..
Good Luck!

oh yeah, the total cost for one year is about $54,000 a year...let that sink in for a while before you decide if the interview is worth it.

Personally, I would probably choose ANY medical school over Finch. When I interviewed at a med school in Houston my interviewer asked me where I applied to and I told him Finch was one of the schools, he then told me that Finch is the school that will let you in if you give them $100,000....this is a total anecdote but everyone knows its reputation.

OH YEAH, they are affiliated with a podiatry school

Originally posted by Lpgovard
Its an opportunity...I know its an expensive one, but why not give it a shot...obviously they see something in you since they are inviting you for an interview..
Good Luck!

But the op has already been accepted to a medical school. Shes asking if a trip to Finch would be worth it. From the sound of things, if its a good schools the op has been accepted to it may not be worth the trip. Not worth giving a shot to a school one wouldn't attend.

to the op - perhaps if you told us which school you have already been accepted to we could give you a more focused answer.

Originally posted by Tamomo
Go to interview feed back section to see what people have to say about this school...not very good remarks.

Oh yeah, they're affiliated with a podiatry school....enough said.

You been there yourself? You're making lots of assumptions homey. You'd think someone at this stage of their lives would be mature enough to only speak of things they're actually knowledgeable about. If you interviewed there, well then you have formulated an opinion which could only be validated by your attendence there, not by spending a few hours there.