Finch or Howard? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

There are things I like about both. I think the biggest difference is tuition, but disregarding that aspect, where will I get a better education? One thing that really turns me off about Howard is the area I must walk through to get to school each day from the metro (they tell you the DONT recommend that you drive and park there). I felt very unsafe when I did a few trial runs with my husband along with me (the area is SCARY--I've seen nothing like it). I am not african american (although I am a mixed race), so I also wonder how comraderie with my fellow students will be. I noticed when I interviewed that the non-african american were together in their own groups, and black (african american, carribean, etc.) students were in their groups, which isn't the climate I would like. It seemed segregated. I dont really know if this is how it is though, if anyone knows please comment!

From what any of you know, where do you think I would have the best opportunities experience and education? All I want is to become a good physician--competent, knowledgable, and skilled as well as remain human and treat my patients with the best care possible. The name/reputation of the school doesnt matter to me-- I had lower credentials coming in and am just grateful that I will now fulfill my dream of becoming a physician. If anyone has comments on the strengths and weaknesses of each, please do.

PS I don't plan on going into primary care, although I don't know which specialty yet. And I feel the only "con" for Finch is the tuition. Will it's reputation really hurt me that bad for residency? And isn't it nearly the same as Howard?

Members don't see this ad.

An important component of doing well in college, graduate or professional school is the comfort level for you. I call that being a "happy camper". If you feel intimidated at Howard, unless that wears off (I don't know how you can predict that) and more comfortable at Chicago, you will next have to evaluate how much in dollars that comfort level is worth to you. In life, there ARE some things worth paying more for and economizing elsewhere. I was a 30 year old Scrooge when I had that insight, without benefit of Christmas past, present and future. You are on the road to Medicaldoctordom: May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face.

Howard lost my secondary when I was applying.... They said they sent it but I didn't receive anything and when I asked about another secondary, they didn't send one till 2 months later.... :eek:

Just describing my experience with Howard.... But I did live with an alumni of Howard and is now a Gastroenterologist in UCDavis.... I'm sure he'll say take Howard.... He had a nice time there from what he had describe to me. In addition, he mentioned that medical school is a lot easier, he thought..... I'm not sure if that helps but there's my two cents....

Members don't see this ad :)
Met a physician in one of my UCLA classes, and she was working at a clinic in LA.
Said she loved howard.

Just a friendly note, You might want to decide soon as others are waiting.... Good luck in your decision and I hope it turns out well.... :cool:

finch...chi town rocks