Finding a DPM Job After Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theanswer03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what some of the resources you all have used or have heard about to find Podiatry jobs coming straight out of residency? Any websites, journals, or anything that you have found to be reputable or helpful regarding this would be of great help. I have interest in Podiatry jobs coming out of a 24-month Podiatry residency in the Southeast region.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you an MD student or a DPM? looks from your previous post that your an MD student just trying to troll...

MD student.

But I am actually asking this question for a close friend who isn't on SDN. We were just wondering what resources and avenues there were to find podiatry jobs out of residency. Her program is not very helpful with this.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD student.

But I am actually asking this question for a close friend who isn't on SDN. We were just wondering what resources and avenues there were to find podiatry jobs out of residency. Her program is not very helpful with this.

Residency programs don't usually "find" jobs or assist residents in the employment department. There are many resources, and your "friend" has to start utilizing and/or researching those resources. There are classifieds on several podiatric websites, in the APMA news, other podiatric journals,state podiatric medical society newsletters and also jobs posted on a site supported by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.

I see great opportunities advertised on a daily basis, but she will have to start doing a little homework and detective work.

I see great opportunities advertised on a daily basis, but she will have to start doing a little homework and detective work.

Yeah, I'm an undergraduate student and I subscribe to Podiatry Today and there are always job listings in there...

Residency programs don't usually "find" jobs or assist residents in the employment department. There are many resources, and your "friend" has to start utilizing and/or researching those resources. There are classifieds on several podiatric websites, in the APMA news, other podiatric journals,state podiatric medical society newsletters and also jobs posted on a site supported by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.

Thank you for the information. I know she needs to start doing her homework herself, but I am trying to help her out at least initially.

Which websites specifically are you referring to?

Is there a search engine, website, etc., where you can post your resume for podiatry jobs, where potential employers can look at it, download it, and contact the potential candidate?

What do you think about getpodiatryjobs.com and podiatrycareers.org? Are these sites reputable?

Last edited:
If your "friend" doesn't have a clue about this stuff this late in the game, she is in serious trouble. Get her on this site and we can help. 2nd hand information isn't always the best way to relay solid advice.

If your "friend" doesn't have a clue about this stuff this late in the game, she is in serious trouble. Get her on this site and we can help. 2nd hand information isn't always the best way to relay solid advice.

:thumbup:

We are basically surfing this site together. She doesn't want to join. I'm asking a legitimate question that I'd like to have some help with. I'm not trying to flame or be annoying. I'd like some honest help, if anyone would be willing to give me some answers and honest opinions.

We are basically surfing this site together. She doesn't want to join. I'm asking a legitimate question that I'd like to have some help with. I'm not trying to flame or be annoying. I'd like some honest help, if anyone would be willing to give me some answers and honest opinions.

We are giving you our honest opinion. Get HER on the site. It's her career. Don't you find it odd that she won't get involved?

Regardless of how close you are with your "friend", it is ultimately up to her to find a position. She won't do that by watching from the sidelines. If she is a resident, she has a plethora of resources to help her in the search. She should easily be able to utilize these resources and/or be able to research how to find a job. She should have a network of attendings at her hospital, former residents, residency director, etc., all of whom should be able to offer her different avenues for finding a position. There are people, journals, internet sites, etc.

If she can not do this on her own, I question her ability to succeed.

And THAT is my advice. She's a big girl now and she has to take responsibility for finding herself a job. There are many positions available and lots of ways to find those jobs.

Why so much hate? He want s to help a friend. Stop being the 2 douchebags you and your little sidekick have become for once.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, I know. It's "trolling" to call these 2 out. But it's kinda gotten outta hand. If I didn't see a :thumbup: from Kidsfeet for every ridiculous post that padm spouts out, then I might literally poop in my pants.

And they drove off Feli - one of the best. Jonwill's taken a hike lately too. And I can't blame them much...

And I also realize that a lot of Kidsfeet's "admiration" for padpm is a result of his begging for a job from him a few months ago. But still, that's no excuse for this type of behavior as far as I'm concerned.

And I also realize that a lot of Kidsfeet's "admiration" for padpm is a result of his begging for a job from him a few months ago. But still, that's no excuse for this type of behavior as far as I'm concerned.

LOL, nice. Do you feel good about yourself now?

Sorry, but helping a friend would entail telling her to get off her tail and get involved in her career, rather than try to pretend like he can find her a job, or advice on how to find a job on these forums.

He asked for advice and I gave it. Sorry if it seems harsh, but life is hard.

Please find these so called posts where I "begged" PADPM for a job. I consider PADPM a very close and dear friend, and someone who has helped more than any single person outside my family I have ever known. These qualities are the rarest of rare. Do you have someone who is looking out for you this way? If you do, then you should know how important it is, and if you don't, you haven't a clue how rich your life could be with someone like that having your back.

Thanks for displaying how sorely clueless you are. If you don't like it, don't read it, but please go elsewhere to make a total ass of yourself. How exactly do you correlate Jonwill and Feli's absence to my and PADPM's contributions? Please educate me.

LOL, nice. Do you feel good about yourself now?

Sorry, but helping a friend would entail telling her to get off her tail and get involved in her career, rather than try to pretend like he can find her a job, or advice on how to find a job on these forums.

He asked for advice and I gave it. Sorry if it seems harsh, but life is hard.

Please find these so called posts where I "begged" PADPM for a job. I consider PADPM a very close and dear friend, and someone who has helped more than any single person outside my family I have ever known. These qualities are the rarest of rare. Do you have someone who is looking out for you this way? If you do, then you should know how important it is, and if you don't, you haven't a clue how rich your life could be with someone like that having your back.

Thanks for displaying how sorely clueless you are. If you don't like it, don't read it, but please go elsewhere to make a total ass of yourself. How exactly do you correlate Jonwill and Feli's absence to my and PADPM's contributions? Please educate me.
Really, known him for all of about 4 months? So dear and close? You're ignorant, and you're a complete suckup. That's the worst combination.

Here it is - don't listen to those 2 douchebags. PM Feli or Jonwill. They will very likely help you.

You are absolutely right. Our combined 35 years of practice experience and involvement in the profession on just about every level means absolutely nothing. Good call mate. I'd listen to your advice over all, too. Where are you in your career, btw?

Really, known him for all of about 4 months? So dear and close? You're ignorant, and you're a complete suckup. That's the worst combination.

Interesting how you think our knowing each other was only since we've been on these forums. You know what they say about when you assume, right?

I wanted to know what the poster had to offer besides a scathing tongue.

In spite of how your post came across, I'm willing to accept you at your word on this.

As an aside, it's clear anyone who reads this or any number of similar threads that you can be provoked into these little spats pretty easily.

For someone of your experience and status, it just doesn't sit well.

In spite of how your post came across, I'm willing to accept you at your word on this.

As an aside, it's clear anyone who reads this or any number of similar threads that you can be provoked into these little spats pretty easily.

For someone of your experience and status, it just doesn't sit well.

Perhaps, but I'll tell you what. For as much time as I volunteer on this site to help, being called a douchebag requires a response. The other question is why would someone want to provoke such a response? That was clearly the intent, and once again, required a firm response. I'm human. I respond to negativity and chose not to blow it off.

What's also interesting is that you focus on the negative of my post here and other "similar threads". I guess that's just part of what happens when you care and put yourself out there to be scrutinized. Think about that for a minute.

...being called a douchebag requires a response.

In this setting, I diasagree. Everyone knows what Organically was trying to accomplish, and I don't think there is any regular poster here who thought he/she deserved a response.

This is just one student's opinion and is partly due to the fact that I've been called much worse by coaches (in undergrad) and expect to be called much worse throughout my training, all instances where it is best to put my head down and go back to work.

I feel that this thread is not supposed to be here in the first place. Not only has this question has been addressed previously by several attendings on this forum, but a current resident, if independent and motivated, would not ask this question. To me, this is one of those "how much money would I make" type questions, just want a easy way out but not much personal efforts. That being said, the resident, assuming independent and motivated, would at least be proactive and registering for an account isn't a hard thing to do. I simply can't understand the logic, if the OP's friend can't find a job with that attitude, too bad.

OR, maybe it's just a troll lol

This is just one student's opinion and is partly due to the fact that I've been called much worse by coaches (in undergrad) and expect to be called much worse throughout my training, all instances where it is best to put my head down and go back to work.

Sorry, there is no reason for ANYONE to treat you that way, online or in person. You should not be called "much worse" in your training. If you do, it's because the person who treats you that way has no self esteem and would rather belittle than realize they been given the privilege of training the next generation.

No sir, don't accept that behavior from anyone. If you do, you are only perpetuating that person's behavior. If you are treated this way in training, I suggest you discuss it with the powers that be politely, calmly and politically. I think you will be surprised how if it handled the proper way, how successful you will be. There is absolutely no reason for that. Ever.

If you are treated this way in training, I suggest you discuss it with the powers that be politely, calmly and politically.

I agree completely. A discussion behind closed doors on the inappropriateness of such comments would be warranted. In this case, as a moderator and valuable contributor, I would think a PM to the instigating individual would suffice. No need to let my fellow residents or other attendings to be involved, much like there is no reason (IMO) for other posters to be privy to discussions between you and organically. Especially since we already understood the post's utter unprofessionalism (I don't think that is a word but you get the point).

You are a grown man and I am in no way trying to tell you how to handle a situation. Just trying to shed some light on how it looks to an "outsider". That is all.

I agree completely. A discussion behind closed doors on the inappropriateness of such comments would be warranted. In this case, as a moderator and valuable contributor, I would think a PM to the instigating individual would suffice. No need to let my fellow residents or other attendings to be involved, much like there is no reason (IMO) for other posters to be privy to discussions between you and organically. Especially since we already understood the post's utter unprofessionalism (I don't think that is a word but you get the point).

...Just trying to shed some light on how it looks to an "outsider". That is all.

I understand completely what you mean. However, ESPECIALLY as a moderator, I feel it is important to publicly speak out about this behavior. If someone on the forums is so blatantly disrespectful, they should be called out publicly to dissuade this type of behavior publicly as well.

What you'll find in your travels, I'm sure, is that those that display this type of behavior, HATE to have it thrown back at them. They think they are above that, and once it's done right back at them, they STFU. People like that then become less likely to display this behavior in the same venue again, and resort to looking elsewhere for their self satisfaction. Psych 101.

You are not an "outsider" in this situation, my friend. You are a colleague giving good advice and I appreciate it. An "outsider" would probably look at this situation and realize that I'm responding in an appropriate manner to an immature gesture. Goading, maybe, but for the sake of seeing if the immature gesture had some reality behind it, and it turns out I was right. It didn't.

Do you have any kids?

You are a grown man and I am in no way trying to tell you how to handle a situation.

If you ask my wife and kids and certain of my close friends, they'll tell you...meh, not so much. I'm the biggest big kid around!

What you'll find in your travels, I'm sure, is that those that display this type of behavior, HATE to have it thrown back at them. They think they are above that, and once it's done right back at them, they STFU. People like that then become less likely to display this behavior in the same venue again, and resort to looking elsewhere for their self satisfaction. Psych 101.

Understood. Admittedly, the opportunities to throw it back in somebody's face (politely of course :) ) have been few. When you aren't an "authority" or in a position of one, it is tough to do that. In football, especially, you talk to the GA's and assistant coaches when you have an issue with the gameplan, scheme, playcalling, etc. and let them take your input to the big guy. But I get it.

And no, no kids. However, my wife would probably just smack me...I pick my battles

I feel that this thread is not supposed to be here in the first place. Not only has this question has been addressed previously by several attendings on this forum, but a current resident, if independent and motivated, would not ask this question. To me, this is one of those "how much money would I make" type questions, just want a easy way out but not much personal efforts. That being said, the resident, assuming independent and motivated, would at least be proactive and registering for an account isn't a hard thing to do. I simply can't understand the logic, if the OP's friend can't find a job with that attitude, too bad.

OR, maybe it's just a troll lol

This really sums it up perfectly. Period. Now it's time for my "suck-up" friend Kidsfeet to wash my car. After all, he has to keep me happy according to our cheery friend Organically.

Wow. I didn't mean for this thread to degenerate into this :eek:.. I certainly didn't appreciate some of the rude comments from posters about my original question, but I was just going to ignore them and move on. I love people that judge someone based on an internet message board post. I simply asked a question on behalf of a friend, and people start ripping her. She IS doing her own homework and research, but I want to help her out, as well. Isn't this forum a place to post questions and get answers about the field of Podiatry? If I had just asked the question on my own behalf, without mention of my friend, I'm sure some of the same people would have still ripped me for some other reason. In my experience, I've found SDN to be an excellent online community and source of information. Thanks for proving me wrong.

Now, if anyone would be willing to help me out with my original question, without all of this other crap, I'd love to hear some real input. PM me if necessary.

Seriously, PADPM and Kidsfeet, nobody is reasonably going to think that you're on a mod power trip... just lock this garbage up.

Seriously, PADPM and Kidsfeet, nobody is reasonably going to think that you're on a mod power trip... just lock this garbage up.

Agreed. This amount of kissing ass from kf deserves a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.