Finding a research position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shantster

Eye protection!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attend a smaller university that unfortunately does not do much in the line of medical research so I am trying to find a program that I could do research for this summer. I have applied to a number of schools that I have found programs that were advertised online, but I heard that the programs are quite selective and generally want people who have had a formal research experience already. For those of you that did summer research, how did you find your programs?

Members don't see this ad.

shantster said:
I attend a smaller university that unfortunately does not do much in the line of medical research so I am trying to find a program that I could do research for this summer. I have applied to a number of schools that I have found programs that were advertised online, but I heard that the programs are quite selective and generally want people who have had a formal research experience already. For those of you that did summer research, how did you find your programs?
My university had a career services center which was very good about having regional company, hospital, and university opportunities listed and even went as far as to help you the application procedure. If you don't have that, look around at major universities you would have interest in working at over a summer. From my experience most of them have summer programs where previous research will definitely be a plus, but is not necessary.

Back when I was in college I worked a summer doing medical/bioscience research at National Jewish Medical and Research Center . . . as long as you don't mind coming to Colorado for a summer it might be worth checking out www.nationaljewish.org

shantster said:
Hiya!!!
I go to a small school too and I got names of research programs through Career Resources. They are great! Honestly, I think they are more of a resource then my pre-med advisor. Come to think about it, I think I talked to the pre-med advisor once!