Finding a shadow...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RJSpaulding

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,

So I'm having a difficult time finding a doc. to shadow. I live not too far from Loma Linda UMC and have been calling but they keep redirecting me to nowhere it seems. I will soon be volunteering there (guessing ER), and was wondering if it would just be as simple as getting on the scene and approaching a physician to ask him/her about it? Would love to hear successfull methods....thanks!

RJS

Members don't see this ad.

RJSpaulding said:
Ok,

So I'm having a difficult time finding a doc. to shadow. I live not too far from Loma Linda UMC and have been calling but they keep redirecting me to nowhere it seems. I will soon be volunteering there (guessing ER), and was wondering if it would just be as simple as getting on the scene and approaching a physician to ask him/her about it? Would love to hear successfull methods....thanks!

RJS

Well VA hospitals seem to be among the most friendliest in allowing for shadowing as well as certain teaching hospitals.

I shadow at the VA hospital near my university's medical school. The VA is one of the main teaching hospitals at my University and thus has many med school staff members working there. So they are always very willing to allow people to shadow.

I've heard the same about other VA centers, so you may want to see if there is one near Loma Linda.

another way to go about things are emailing doctors around. I know a guy that did that for a DO recommendation, and it worked. but you'll find people whom are associated with medical schools tend to be more willing to allow for this sort of thing because they already are used to having people observe them from having med students and what not.

Have any of you ever shadowed a trauma surgeon or a general surgeon? Or are they usually to busy so they dont allow it?

Members don't see this ad :)
katiew said:
Have any of you ever shadowed a trauma surgeon or a general surgeon? Or are they usually to busy so they dont allow it?

A friend of mine was able to shadow a general surgeon. Others I know have been able to shadow reconstructive surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, and cardiothoracic surgeons. however, I don't know too many people whom have been able to find ER or trauma related shadowing opportunities.

katiew said:
I don't know of any trauma surgeons, but I have shadowed an ER physician and a general surgeon. The ER doc is super cool. I was dropping off someone at the ER and he saw me, and while I was filling out my paperwork, he came over and sat down to ask how I was doing. :cool: I hope to be that friendly to the mere pre-meds when I'm a doc.

I shadowed an orthopedic as well as neuro surgeon last summer. I have to agree with the previous poster that MD's are much more willing to allow shadows in a university town or atmosphere than one without. If I could give you one suggestion, ask around and see if anyone you know is family/good friends with a doctor and have them ask if they would be willing to speak with you. I found this approach much more successful than just cold calling and it also seemed that upon shadowing the surgeons provided a much better atmosphere. One other suggestion, be persistent! these MD's were all med students at one time as well and you shouldn't feel bad for asking. Good luck

Oh I just wanted to add that most of my shadowing experiences have been in neurology, physical med and rehab, and back before college in orthopedics, pediatrics, and ob/gyn.

However, what I did precollege was part of a summer internship kind of program. On the other hand, the neuro and phys med and rehab shadowing was more recently in the past 2 years at the VA.

As shadowing coordinator for my (AED premed honor society chapter) I was able to get people in with cardiologists, interventional radiologists, ophthamologists, pediatrics, neonatologists, geriatrics, and cardiothoracic surgery as well as dermatology.

Its really cool too because the doctors that I shadow are super nice. I've heard the other physicians from the aforementioned departments, have been nice as well.

A couple of the cardiologists even offered my friend letters of recommendation and to call and say that she is a nice girl whom they believe should get in.

I think she really impressed them.

Overall, if you can get someone to allow you to shadow, I think you should go ahead and do it, because it is a well worth experience.

Oh one more thing, another route to shadowing may be to do it through a summer internshiip kind of program. Many preprofessional summer enrichment programs for premeds have rotational shadowing opprotunities that allow you to see a little bit of everything.

So you may want to see if you can find any programs like that. Good luck.

gujuDoc said:
Oh one more thing, another route to shadowing may be to do it through a summer internshiip kind of program. Many preprofessional summer enrichment programs for premeds have rotational shadowing opprotunities that allow you to see a little bit of everything.

Any good websites to look at for that?

Thanks again...

katiew said:

I shadowed a trauma surgeon and residents. It took me about six weeks to set it up (through a dean at my school), but it was worth it. For those of you who go to a school not affiliated with a hospital, try asking your professors or the dean of your department if they know a doctor you could shadow. It worked for me.

Many schools have a pre-med organization set-up that takes care of shadowing. I know ours has over 20 doctors in all different specialties. However I met with a family friend and spent the summer shadowing him in surgery.

RJSpaulding said:
Ok,

RJS

I started by shadowing my family doc. Then, after a few weeks I asked him he had any friends of a different speciality that I could shadow. I then ended being able to shadow a neurologist, general surgeon, internist, dermatologist, and a pediatrician.