Finding an apartment in London

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuvPups

Non-traditional Applicant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting RVC this September (2012) and am looking for an apartment near the Camden campus that allows 2 small dogs. Does anyone have any tips? Should I use a relocation service? Is Craigslist or Gumtree my best bet for looking from the US (I'm in New York City). Will it be much more expensive than the student housing? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be starting RVC this September (2012) and am looking for an apartment near the Camden campus that allows 2 small dogs. Does anyone have any tips? Should I use a relocation service? Is Craigslist or Gumtree my best bet for looking from the US (I'm in New York City). Will it be much more expensive than the student housing? Thanks!

The best response to ur question would probably be found if you post it here! http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=837807&page=8

I'm in Dublin so I can't say anything about London, but I'm from just outside of NYC and had to move 140lbs of dog over to Dublin with me so I feel your pain!

In general I'd say don't use a relocation service, they cost too much to be of any benefit, and then try and find whatever renting website is most popular (in Dublin its daft.ie etc. and go from there!)

Good luck! :luck: M.A.

I'm a first year at RVC, renting a place that allows dogs. We found ours on www.rightmove.co.uk . But its hard to find a place without being here, - by law you are required to see the apartment before renting one here. But you can get away with having a friend check one out for you. Then the next problem is figuring out how to give them a deposit/rent, as it tends to take Americans a few weeks to get a local bank account sorted out.

Our other difficulty was that many places get rented the same day they are posted. We only got ours because it was posted a few weeks before it was ready to be shown, so we talked our way to the top of the list.

I live in Potters Bar (near the Hawkshead campus), but I can connect you to a few americans who rented places in Camden if you'd like, they may have more tips.

Just noticed the last question on expense. If you are living alone and in Camden, it will be way more expensive than student housing. If you find some roommates, then you can probably pay something closer to what student housing costs.