Finding an RA job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyduck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for research assistant jobs on the job board websites of several major locations. However, I've decided to be a bit more proactive and directly contact some labs that I'm interested in, even if they have not specifically advertised openings. My question is something of a logistical one- should I email the PI directly, or should I not bother him/her and go through one of the lab's senior research assistants, post-docs, etc.? The PI could be in charge of hiring new people but could also be really busy and never get back to me and prefer to leave that stuff to the other lab members. What do you all think? Has anyone tried this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Psyduck,

I think it's probably best to contact PIs directly, as they know what funding is available for new hires, etc. (UNLESS the website specifically says "for more info, please contact so-and-so, the RA.")

If you're willing to do this unpaid, there will be a ton more options, but I know that's easier said than done.

Are you looking in NYC? I work as an RA at Columbia and could maybe put you in touch with someone here or @ the Psychiatric Institute!

Ditto--I've always contacted the PI directly and never had a problem with it. They are more aware of what they want/need than an RA would be, particularly if they're in the midst of a new grant application that may potentially create future opportunities that no one (other than them) may know about yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone give me a ballpark of how much RA positions pay?

Can anyone give me a ballpark of how much RA positions pay?

That would depend upon a number of factors, including location, duties, & your education/experience. I know people who claim to make $15-20+/hour as an RA. In my area, however, the only RA (paid) positions are at the med center and the pay is considerably lower than this, even with experience/degree. And, then there are the lovely individuals (such as myself) who do it for free. Oh, what fun! :rolleyes:

I'm an RA in the Boston area and we do OK. All the RAs at my hospital are on the same salary, mandated by the institution, and it's not much but it's livable.

I'm an RA in New York. Part-time, so I am hourly- 23.

Yeah, I mean, if you're in it for the big bucks, go into iBanking. ;-) From what I've heard, I'd say most RAs tend to make in the $30Ks/year range. And that's if the position pays at all! It's definitely worth it for the experience.

Thanks. No, I'm definitely not in it for the money, or I'd stay in marketing. I do need to earn enough for rent and food, though!

I realize that there are many RA positions, some paid and some not. I may even have to try to find one myself which would mean leaving my job which is already in psychology - just no research. However, I would like to know what consitutes a good position vs. a bad one. I do not think it is just the place, i.e. prestige of the institution or the person. Several points come to mind as an explanation. One, if you do not get your name attached to any publications during the course of the RA position has it been a waste of time? I was once an RA for a long time and the research was so large that I do not think the head investigators were going to publish anything for years so I left with nothing but the name to put on my Vitae. Second, I do not think an RA position which just has you do office type work is so interesting but how much can an RA really do? An RA might get to: recruit subjects, conduct screening interviews, code data, maybe take blood samples, perhaps administer tests, help with presentations. But is this enough? What would be valuable tasks to look for? The research in which I was once involved had a person with a Ph.D. in Bio-Stats. handling all the data so they were not going to let any RA near it other than just to collect, enter, and code it (of course that may also have to do with eliminating bias problems). Finally, once an RA position is found, then should one only consider looking for grad professors/ programs who are studying that exact same subject or might the research be looked at as general research experience? This might mean picking the subject very closely. Depression, drug addiction, Schizophrenia might be considered narrowed but research in Health psychology or child psychology might be able to be more generalized. Sorry if I was confusing but my main question is just what things make for a valuable research experience which moves you forward.

Addition: I forgot, how much time in terms of years must one be willing to commit? Would a study want someone for only a year or is two years a minimum requirement? I think I mean in terms of an RA paid job as opposed to volunteering.

I realize that there are many RA positions, some paid and some not. I may even have to try to find one myself which would mean leaving my job which is already in psychology - just no research. However, I would like to know what consitutes a good position vs. a bad one. I do not think it is just the place, i.e. prestige of the institution or the person. Several points come to mind as an explanation. One, if you do not get your name attached to any publications during the course of the RA position has it been a waste of time? I was once an RA for a long time and the research was so large that I do not think the head investigators were going to publish anything for years so I left with nothing but the name to put on my Vitae. Second, I do not think an RA position which just has you do office type work is so interesting but how much can an RA really do? An RA might get to: recruit subjects, conduct screening interviews, code data, maybe take blood samples, perhaps administer tests, help with presentations. But is this enough? What would be valuable tasks to look for? The research in which I was once involved had a person with a Ph.D. in Bio-Stats. handling all the data so they were not going to let any RA near it other than just to collect, enter, and code it (of course that may also have to do with eliminating bias problems). Finally, once an RA position is found, then should one only consider looking for grad professors/ programs who are studying that exact same subject or might the research be looked at as general research experience? This might mean picking the subject very closely. Depression, drug addiction, Schizophrenia might be considered narrowed but research in Health psychology or child psychology might be able to be more generalized. Sorry if I was confusing but my main question is just what things make for a valuable research experience which moves you forward.

Addition: I forgot, how much time in terms of years must one be willing to commit? Would a study want someone for only a year or is two years a minimum requirement? I think I mean in terms of an RA paid job as opposed to volunteering.

Will someone please comment on this! Anyone...anyone?

Maybe RayneeDeigh's sock puppets will elaborate!:laugh:

Will someone please comment on this! Anyone...anyone?

Maybe RayneeDeigh's sock puppets will elaborate!:laugh:

1001721xs0.jpg

Well I asked these guys, and they said they really weren't sure. But they imagine that the minimum requirement varies from place to place. Most RA jobs I've heard of have a year requirement but I'm sure some have two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I asked these guys, and they said they really weren't sure. But they imagine that the minimum requirement varies from place to place. Most RA jobs I've heard of have a year requirement but I'm sure some have two.

:eek: Oh, my! These bother me even more than the last ones! I didn't think it was possible. :D

:eek: Oh, my! These bother me even more than the last ones! I didn't think it was possible. :D

RayneeDeigh's hands or the sock puppets? :laugh:

What is the picture on her fingernails?

RayneeDeigh's hands or the sock puppets? :laugh:

What is the picture on her fingernails?

Well it's a palm tree and a sun.

But you don't know that I didn't hire someone to hold the creatures for me.

And stop making me go off-topic in threads, you're going to get me in trouble with Therapist4Chnge. :p

From my experience most RA jobs want more than one year commitment. However, I did find a one year position between undergrad and masters. But was turned down my many others because I would not commit to more than a year. I have had friends that have just not told the person they were leaving after a year, but if you want a LOR, I would not recommend that. When I did not get into grad school the last time I applied I told RA jobs that I would make a two year commitment. It was easier to find a job and it gave me an opportunity to get better LOR, research and clinical work. But what it comes down to is what the PI is looking for, they could have a grant that is ending in less than a year and their current RA took off for grad school and they need someone just for that year. The best thing is to look around and be open to having to commit for more than a year.

Giant Steps - yes I think of course if you can find an RA position that fits in exactly with your line of interest, pays, is at a major institution, is run by a well-known PI and involves work that goes beyond the basic stuff then it would help your application a lot.
But the reality may be that such a perfect position isn't open and you'll have to find something that has 3 out of those 5 items in your list of criteria, for example. Otherwise, what will you do - avoid doing any RA work until the perfect one comes along... which could be 6 months from now? I think we're kind of stuck with what we can find because of competition for this work plus the fact that RA's don't usually run the whole show.
I took last year off to volunteer as an RA in 2 labs. One is at a small school but the PI is well known in her field. The other was at a major school but the PI is there on soft money and is an assistant professor. At the small school, I've done more drudge-level work, but really bonded with the rest of the kids in the lab and it's been a great place to share grad school ideas. Meanwhile, at the big school, I've been able to do independent research which I submitted to the APA conference for a poster presentation - and I had my PI's support because I was basically helping her career by doing research with her name attached to it without her having to do much extra work.
I guess my point is, even if an RA position looks less-than-ideal to you, it might turn out to be a great experience in unexpected ways.

Mine pays 25k, which in my area allows me to live quite comfortably. I'm not saving up a ton of money, but I am saving some (which will probably help as a grad student).

I've said it before though and I'll say it again - get a job in YOUR area of interest. I did not and it screwed me over. Several profs I emailed to find out why I wasn't interviewed said it was because "While I had great experience, I didn't have as much experience in their area as they wanted". Admittedly I applied to a lot of VERY good programs, but still. Even if you have to move halfway across the country for a year or two....find a job in your research area.

It's often very difficult to find something within your research interests if they are more off-the-beaten path/less studied/incredibly specific. Also, positions available in labs and your ability to become hired all must be taken into account, as well. Let's not forget that just because a lab is "right up your alley" doesn't mean that you will get the job!

I will share with you my brief story. My main focus is very specialized. My lab where I work specializes in studying a much broader spectrum. Now, while this isn't my primary focus, I have been able to gain testing experience, a stronger biological background, and work in a medical setting, which has been invaluable. I still found working here 100% applicable to what I want to do someday. If you're ambitious enough and intelligent enough, you can work almost everything you do as an RA into another merit on your CV!

BTW, most labs want at least a one year committment.

Good luck *Ella:luck:

ps- I make in the upper 30s, if this helps. ALWAYS negotiate for a higher salary, you wouldn't buy a car at sticker price so never take the job w/the salary they post online. You will be surprised just how creative medical centers can get with finding "extra" money.

I've said it before though and I'll say it again - get a job in YOUR area of interest. I did not and it screwed me over. Several profs I emailed to find out why I wasn't interviewed said it was because "While I had great experience, I didn't have as much experience in their area as they wanted". Admittedly I applied to a lot of VERY good programs, but still. Even if you have to move halfway across the country for a year or two....find a job in your research area.

Ollie,
This begs the question: why didn't you apply to work with professors or schools which had research which related to what you were researching? Perhaps, you thought (I raised the question in my post) that your RA experience was general and you could fit in doing something else.

Well, the question isn't why I didn't apply to grad schools that matched to my work experiences, its why I didn't apply for jobs that matched what my grad school interests were:)

The answer is laziness.

I have specific research interests that my current jobs do not even touch on. I would not want to go to grad school to focus on either of these subjects, I would be miserable and would not enjoy it. They ARE both good "general research" positions that have given me a lot of great experiences, but, at least at the top schools, that is simply not enough.

I'm fairly well networked in my area. I knew the people hiring, knew I could get hired here, knew what the jobs entailed and had friends working there. I thought "Research is research at this level, what's the point in going through all the hassle of moving for just 2 years when I can stay here with family, friends, etc.".

Big mistake. I was lazy and it came back to haunt me when I applied. If I was interested in addictions research(where the bulk of my experience has been), I'm fairly confident I would have at least been interviewed almost everywhere. Learn from my mistakes;)

ps- I make in the upper 30s, if this helps. ALWAYS negotiate for a higher salary, you wouldn't buy a car at sticker price so never take the job w/the salary they post online. You will be surprised just how creative medical centers can get with finding "extra" money.

EXCELLENT advice.

I've never accepted my first offer for a job, and RA positions are no different. Even if you get some extra paid vacation days (typically negotiated AFTER the direct $ is addressed). You can also get them to pay for conferences and other 'fringe' benefits that can translate into $ saved for you, and a tax write off for them. Laptop for home....paid 'net at home....to do 'research', etc.

-t

How do you negotiate for a higher salary, especially if your salary is based in a grant? Just asking for any advice. :)

Hey Psyduck,

I think it's probably best to contact PIs directly, as they know what funding is available for new hires, etc. (UNLESS the website specifically says "for more info, please contact so-and-so, the RA.")

If you're willing to do this unpaid, there will be a ton more options, but I know that's easier said than done.

Are you looking in NYC? I work as an RA at Columbia and could maybe put you in touch with someone here or @ the Psychiatric Institute!

NYCPsych, I sent you a private message about this.

How do you negotiate for a higher salary, especially if your salary is based in a grant? Just asking for any advice. :)

Your 'salary' isn't purely the grant, they just allocated a certain amount towards it. There is typically some wiggle room and/or some discretionary funds. Always do money first, benefits second, fringe third, vacation fourth.

With RA positions, I'm guessing fringe and vacation are the most flexible.

-t

Ok, after reading through this thread I still have no idea as to how to go about finding an RA job. If I don't get into the doctoral programs I am wait-listed at I would like to either get my masters or get a job as an RA.

Chances are good that I will be moving down to the Raleigh-Durham area in the next few months (if I don't get into school), so I would assume that the opportunities would be numerous considering that Duke, UNC, NCCU, and NC State are all right there, along with Research Triangle Park.

But where do I look? Do I check Monster or Hotjobs or should I do the footwork and go to every professor/lab I would be interested in working for and start asking?

Feel free to PM/IM me!

I think you may be hard-pressed to find someone willing to tell you exactly how to get a job as an RA. Let me explain why this is. For many of us it took a lot of hard work, research, shots in the dark to land our first RA gig. Many of us browsed websites, called former professors and tried to network as best we could. There is no one correct way to search and attain an RA job so we would be unable to give you one definitive answer. Second to that notion, is that if we worked so hard for it, why would we just give away the answer? Lastly, if you are thinking of pursuing a doctorate, you shouldn't be asking for too much hand-holding (i.e. Monster v. Hotjobs), in my opinion, but again, that's just my opinion. Try back threads and maybe talk to your advisor if you are still in school. I wasn't, at the time I applied for an RA position, so I had to do a lot of leg-work while working FT but I eventually got one. (Sidebar: I think many people think of RA positions as a holding-pattern for the eventual PhD. Personally, I feel that attitude fosters a sense of helplessness. Instead, think of applying for an RA position as an actual job; a professional endeavor. Then ask yourself, would you ask your colleagues what website to use or whether you should use white or linen colored reference paper?)

One last word, I think it is very important to remember that while most (actually all, IMO) people on the clinical psych SDN are friendly and helpful to an extent, we are also mildly to incredibly competitive.

Best of luck,

*Ella

I think you may be hard-pressed to find someone willing to tell you exactly how to get a job as an RA. Let me explain why this is. For many of us it took a lot of hard work, research, shots in the dark to land our first RA gig. Many of us browsed websites, called former professors and tried to network as best we could. There is no one correct way to search and attain an RA job so we would be unable to give you one definitive answer. Second to that notion, is that if we worked so hard for it, why would we just give away the answer? Lastly, if you are thinking of pursuing a doctorate, you shouldn't be asking for too much hand-holding (i.e. Monster v. Hotjobs), in my opinion, but again, that's just my opinion. Try back threads and maybe talk to your advisor if you are still in school. I wasn't, at the time I applied for an RA position, so I had to do a lot of leg-work while working FT but I eventually got one.

One last word, I think it is very important to remember that while most (actually all, IMO) people on the clinical psych SDN are friendly and helpful to an extent, we are also competitive.

What an interesting reply. Just because you are competitive and have worked so hard to land your RA job doesn't mean that you can't help lead others down the path to getting an interesting and beneficial position. I'm actually taken aback by how defiant you are to give insight, unless you are currently working in the RTP area and feel like I might present some sort of threat to your job security.

I guess a little background might be helpful. I went to a large research institution for undergrad and just graduated last year. EVERY single RA position at my school was held by graduate students within that program. To even volunteer to do research in most labs was almost impossible as you would often have 60-70 students trying to get into each lab. I was actually quite surprised to see that there were people getting paid to do research at what I'm assuming are rather large and well-known universities when they have many graduate students who would essentially do the work for pennies (minimal stipend).

I'm not asking for you to hold my hand I'm just trying to discover something new. There is a difference between being competitive and being mean.

My apologies if you felt my post was mean. I am very straight-forward and that's both how I write and speak.

As I said and as I mean... best of luck,

*ella:luck:

ps- I did give some insight (e.g. backthreads, your advisor, how I found mine, etc etc.). What more would you like? (I am asking this literally).

From what I have seen monster.com and such will never have postings for the good research jobs. Might not be a bad resource if you're looking for some BA-level clinical experience though.

Networking is really what it comes down to. Do your professors know you well? I know you said its hard to work in a lab there, and that is actually an enormous problem. Paid RA positions are tough to find. Paid RA positions for someone with no research experience(you never expressly said this, but seemed to imply it) might actually be near impossible. I'm not sure what school you went to, but I've never heard of anyone who could not find volunteer positions as an undergrad. Not saying I don't believe you, just that there is something SERIOUSLY screwed up about the system at your university if it was hard to find ANY research experience as an undergrad assuming you were relatively well qualified.

If you hadn't already made a decision of where to move this might be a bit easier since you could ask the profs who know you well if they know of people who just got grants who may be looking to hire. Similarly, most profs will have former students who are now post-docs at big research sites. Those post-docs also may be able to hook you up with the right people. But the likelihood of them knowing someone in a specific region of the country is much smaller.

For now, your best options may be either a master's program, or getting a non-psych job that won't require crazy hours. Then spend an extra 10-20-whatever hours per week and offer to VOLUNTEER in a lab at one of the schools you mentioned. Play your cards right and this could lead to a paid position or at least keep you in the loop on when other professors at that school are hiring. Afraid that's the best I can suggest at this point, if you did manage to scrape together some solid research experience as an undergrad you might be in better shape, but either way it can be tough to find paid positions if you are limiting yourself to a specific region and don't already have connections there. This field is all about networking.

Best of luck.

I'm an RA in NY, and found my position by searching for studies that are recruiting participants (in the area I'm interested). Then I just contacted the number listed and asked if they were looking for an RA. You can search on University web sites (Psychology Departments or Medical Schools), and usually its not to hard to come across postings for recruiting participants in research studies.
Additionally, you can look on the clinical trials website (clinical trials.gov) and search by location, or by disorder studied.

Ok, after reading through this thread I still have no idea as to how to go about finding an RA job. If I don't get into the doctoral programs I am wait-listed at I would like to either get my masters or get a job as an RA.

Chances are good that I will be moving down to the Raleigh-Durham area in the next few months (if I don't get into school), so I would assume that the opportunities would be numerous considering that Duke, UNC, NCCU, and NC State are all right there, along with Research Triangle Park.

But where do I look? Do I check Monster or Hotjobs or should I do the footwork and go to every professor/lab I would be interested in working for and start asking?

Feel free to PM/IM me!

You should be in pretty good shape if you're moving to Raleigh-Durham! There's so much going on there! I would still ask professors from your current school for recommendations - they may have contacts there. If that doesn't pan out, start emailing. Write a nice cover letter and attach your CV. If a professor is especially well-known and has research interests similar to your own, I would seriously consider taking an unpaid position, especially if you would still have the opportunity to publish. Also, most labs turn to interns first when a paid position opens up, so this may set you up for an RA position later on. Try working 10 to 20 hours per week in the lab and getting another paid position elsewhere (even if it's not in the field of psychology).

When looking for an RA position, start thinking about what your personal statement will look like. You will want to write about what your research/clinical interests are and how you have pursued those interests. Even if the research you will be doing doesn't perfectly match your interests, could you spin in your PS? For instance, I did mental health services research, but it was with high-risk populations of children, so I was easily able to explain how this applied to my interest in developmental psychopathology and clinical science.

Also, look for a position where you will be doing more that just data entry or running subjects. You want to acquire some new skills. Positions where you will be writing and analyzing data are the best. People who work in neuro labs also tend to be favored by grad schools.

Finally, try to work for someone influential. Having a letter of rec from a big name researcher can be a huge advantage, especially if the person works in the same field of research as the people you will be applying to work with.

Thanks for all the useful advice. In many ways I think this process may be more frustrating than applying to grad school because it's just hard to know where to look or they might not be actively seeking RAs.

By the way, I was also surprised by Ella_Mental's comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and need not share all of their tricks on this forum. But since you've already gone through the process and are not competing for jobs with us, I would think that you could be a little more helpful. Yes you did provide some good tips, but was it really necessary to include the other stuff? I understand you put in a lot of hard work to find your job, as we are doing by trying to do by gleaning as much information as we can from random people on forums!

Thanks for all the useful advice. In many ways I think this process may be more frustrating than applying to grad school because it's just hard to know where to look or they might not be actively seeking RAs.

By the way, I was also surprised by Ella_Mental's comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and need not share all of their tricks on this forum. But since you've already gone through the process and are not competing for jobs with us, I would think that you could be a little more helpful. Yes you did provide some good tips, but was it really necessary to include the other stuff? I understand you put in a lot of hard work to find your job, as we are doing by trying to do by gleaning as much information as we can from random people on forums!

Psyduck,

You are by all means entitled to your opinion. My comments were posted days ago and I considered the issue dropped, in my opinion. I find it hard to believe this is your first time reading them. Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps you are just a little bit stressed out right now and looking to release some of the tension/pick a fight. I don't know because I don't know you.

It's amazing that people are shocked (and angered?) when they read replies that vary from the collective voice. This is an open forum and I will say, once again, that I feel our different personalities/approaches/experiences are what make this forum the dynamic, interesting and informative place that it is.

*Ella

Psyduck,

You are by all means entitled to your opinion. My comments were posted days ago and I considered the issue dropped, in my opinion. I find it hard to believe this is your first time reading them. Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps you are just a little bit stressed out right now and looking to release some of the tension/pick a fight. I don't know because I don't know you.

It's amazing that people are shocked (and angered?) when they read replies that vary from the collective voice. This is an open forum and I will say, once again, that I feel our different personalities/approaches/experiences are what make this forum the dynamic, interesting and informative place that it is.

*Ella

i'm not trying to pick a fight and i never said i was angered by your words, only a bit surprised. i just read the post last night because i am not on here everyday. i was just wondering where your words were coming from since i assume you are on SDN to gain and give advice. and i didn't think it was necessary to include that you were deliberately withholding advice, but it's certainly your right to do so. in fact, i would be much more surprised to find someone who did give all their tricks away!

This is kind of a random question, but anyway....Since NIH is a major source of funding, would pretty much every lab there have a grant? (Which doesn't mean they are recruiting but it eliminates an important factor)

Re: NIH

Some labs have post-bac positions, but they're few and right now pretty much nonexistent, unless you're really on the bio end of things. Mostly, they want PhDs or MDs. I've been looking into this for a while now.