Finding Clinical MSW Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMS@1987

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this. I am trying to find jobs in which my primary function would be a therapist in either a substance abuse treatment or some kind of outpatient mental health facility and I am coming up short with all of my online searches. I have tried Monster.com, CareerBuilder, and a host of other job sites and all I see are either medical social work jobs or case manager positions. Does anyone have any suggestions about finding jobs a different way to increase my chances of finding the jobs that I want.

Just to let you know, I'm earning my MSW in NY but I'm gonna be moving to Arizona after I graduate so I don't know if that affects things.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Texas, andt he LMSW therapist jobs are rare. There are a decent amount of positions available for LCSWs though with good compensation. Most of the jobs I'm finding for LMSWs are medical social work. It seems that you're going to have to suck it up for 2 years and do medical social work until you get your LCSW.... at least that seems to be the case if you live in Texas. It sounds like you're in a similar situation.

I would try www.medhunters.com. Also, check out the magazine "Social Work Today." They have ads for websites and stuff. When you search, don't just search LMSW. Search for therapist or counselor. Search for LPC, LMFT, etc. Sometimes that returns positions that take any master's level therapist.

Also check out the websites of major hospital systems in your area.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this. I am trying to find jobs in which my primary function would be a therapist in either a substance abuse treatment or some kind of outpatient mental health facility and I am coming up short with all of my online searches. I have tried Monster.com, CareerBuilder, and a host of other job sites and all I see are either medical social work jobs or case manager positions. Does anyone have any suggestions about finding jobs a different way to increase my chances of finding the jobs that I want.

Just to let you know, I'm earning my MSW in NY but I'm gonna be moving to Arizona after I graduate so I don't know if that affects things.
Thanks

Social Services Agencies are your best bet. You may also consider county and state departments of mental health.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is from several years ago. Why did it get bumped? The original poster already either has a job or is panhandling in the streets of Tucson with a sign that says "Will Work For Clinical Supervision."