Finding collaborative physician in MO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello63

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I feel like this is a long shot, but thought it might be worth asking. I started residency in 2017 and left during the first year when my wife developed a serious, life-threatening health condition. I intended to resume residency after her recovery but unfortunately things didn't work out as planned. Though I tried to keep my medical knowledge/skills as sharp as possible during this time off, it seems I was much less desirable as a re-applicant for residency programs. Though I was able to get some interviews this past cycle, I just found out that I was again unable to match into a program. I am a DO graduate with decent board scores and no failures, but I think the time passed since graduating has essentially killed my chances.

After considering the Assistant Physician option in Missouri for quite some time, I applied for licensure which I expect to receive within the next month. Unfortunately, after countless phone calls and emails to primary care clinics all throughout Missouri, I have been unable to secure a collaborative physician.

Is there a better way to go about finding a CP? I've gotten a few emails back saying they might be interested and would get back to me, but then they never followed up. Things are starting to feel pretty hopeless at this point. I still can't believe sometimes that I put so much time and money into an education that I'm unable to use. I have a doctorate degree and can barely support my own family. If I can practice as an AP, I feel like it would at least give me a chance to use my education in a meaningful way, doing something I love and worked hard to do. But do I uproot my family to move to MO just hoping that I'll be able to find a CP once I'm there? Is there possibly some website I don't know about that lists providers currently working with midlevels that might take on another? Doubtful but man that would be helpful..

If anyone can offer relevant insight/advice (or a potential CP referral!), it would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. For anyone just finding out that they didn't match, I feel your pain. But we will overcome this, somehow.

Members don't see this ad.

What you should have done was to apply pathology or prelim surgery... 1-yr post-grad as a US student would make you eligible to have a medical license in 30+ states. With a license, you can open a cash primary care practice, work for a county health department, the prison system or the FED (Indian Health Service) etc... You might need to try this strategy next cycle.

Last edited:
You should take the time to personally contact every tri/prelim program literally anywhere in the country. Get a single year of residency and you can get a real license in a lot of states

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you contact those asst physicians and see if their collaborators will take you? Can you get a research position that does not require license? Contact the DO school in Mizzou? I would contact the military to see if there are military residency spots?

Probably try prev med and occ med

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You should take the time to personally contact every tri/prelim program literally anywhere in the country. Get a single year of residency and you can get a real license in a lot of states

Not a shot at OP

It's amazing to see that a lot of med students don't know how to work around the system. I have a friend who did one-year post-grad training after he was unable to obtain residency for 3 years... He is doing extremely well right now. Working about an hr from a major city in the Northeast making ~200k and all the benefits of the FEDS...

Not a shot at the OP again, just a further point at med students trained in north america not utilizing what's present for them in terms of resources.
Really though, if you have 1 year of PGY-1 that someone does recently (in categorical position, i.e. prelim surg, etc), or a few years ago, wanting to do primary care.. would that even be safe? Hell I know this is probably more training than the mid-levels, but just need to rework the dam system here.

Can you contact those asst physicians and see if their collaborators will take you? Can you get a research position that does not require license? Contact the DO school in Mizzou? I would contact the military to see if there are military residency spots?

Probably try prev med and occ med
Unfortunately not that easy or logistically transparent it’s very difficult to find any real opportunities for particular situations, I have one year post grad training but am a Caribbean grad so I’ve still been SOL

Unfortunately not that easy or logistically transparent it’s very difficult to find any real opportunities for particular situations, I have one year post grad training but am a Caribbean grad so I’ve still been SOL
Get a license in Puerto Rico and work for the Fed (Indian Health Service, Federal prison etc...).

Last edited:
also something thought of and tried logistics of getting a PR license seem nearly impossible any insight would be appreciated (short of move there and try to find the right people to talk to )

also something thought of and tried logistics of getting a PR license seem nearly impossible any insight would be appreciated (short of move there and try to find the right people to talk to )
There might be online companies that may help. You probably might have to spend some $$$.

Going there also and spend a couple of weeks to get a medical license is not the end of the world... I was told things move very slowly there. My friend who was in the same situation is very happy that he did that... as he is making ~200k per year in the Northeast with excellent benefits we don't get in the private sector...

Eligibility Requirements:
  • USMLE Attempt Limit: No attempt limit.
  • USMLE Time Limit: Must complete USMLE steps I, II, & III within 7 years of passing the first step.
  • PGY (AMG): 1 Year
  • PGY (IMG): 1 Year
  • SPEX/COMVEX: Not required.

Link:

Last edited: