Finding Dental Summer Research Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trueinthegame

Time is Illmatic...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been searching for research internships to do this summer to add to my resume, but I haven't been having much luck.

I've seen plenty of medical research internships, but very few dental research internships.

Do you all have any tips on finding dental internships? Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

trueinthegame said:
Hello, I've been searching for research internships to do this summer to add to my resume, but I haven't been having much luck.

I've seen plenty of medical research internships, but very few dental research internships.

Do you all have any tips on finding dental internships? Any help would be appreciated.

This was 5 years ago, but I remember UCONN and UCSF having summer research internships where you could work in dental research. The NIH has a huge summer research internship program where you can work at the NIDCR.

I'm assuming you're referring to the research interships usually done between summer of junior & senior years.

Other than that, it will be rarer to come across as a specific "dental summer research intership" given the glut of the medical ones out there. I wouldn't let that discourage you, I'd apply for the medical ones as well.

This probably won't apply to you, but for the UWSoD students, you are able to participate in SURF (summer research fellowship) where you get a 5k stipend and also elective credit. You should check into the school you will be attending for a similar program. Also, I hear Mich has some pretty good summer programs for pre-dents (might want to check into if they have any programs for dental students). Sorry if this wasn't of any help, and good luck finding something for the summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would research someone at a dental school that you are interested in working with and just send them your resume with a nice cover letter. That landed me every research position I've ever wanted, some of which were paid. All you have to do is ask nicely :)

Not sure where you're located, but all three Texas dental schools have some sort of program or another. I know Houston's deadline is March 4th, not sure on the others. Very helpful when comes time to remembering faces ~

marshall said:
I would research someone at a dental school that you are interested in working with and just send them your resume with a nice cover letter. That landed me every research position I've ever wanted, some of which were paid. All you have to do is ask nicely :)

So true. The experience doesn't have to be labeled a fancy internship for you to get the same experience as an internship. Just write to profs asking if you can work for them over the summer. Some will say no; a few will say yes.

Also, search the NIH site. They should have something.

sidewalkman said:
So true. The experience doesn't have to be labeled a fancy internship for you to get the same experience as an internship. Just write to profs asking if you can work for them over the summer. Some will say no; a few will say yes.

Also, search the NIH site. They should have something.

It's not too hard to send out your resume to find someone who will let you hang out in their lab and get some research experience and label it a "research internship." If you are just looking for experience and something to do, this isn't a bad idea.

IMO, it is 10x more difficult with this method to find someone who will pay you. I always had to apply for the "fancy internships" if I was going to get paid for doing research as a student.

Just go look for profs on the Dent faculty staff list. See if they do any research. Send them an email asking if they would like a volunteer to help them around the lab. Once you get your foot into the door, you're set!