Finding job after dental school and asking if associate is needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

outback95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies if I'm asking this in the wrong forum, but it is a question I've had for a while. It's sort of a couple questions in one and is a little difficult to relay. First, is the spring semester of your third year of dental school too soon to inquire as to whether or not dentists in your community are looking for associates? I have never really had time to think about getting a job after dental school (and my school hasn't done the best job of preparing me for finding one), but it is kind of hitting me that I should start thinking about it. I have a friend who started practicing in my hometown where I want to practice, and he has told me that he knows of a dentist who is looking for an associate. Is it appropriate at this point in my dental school career to call this dentist and straight up ask, "hey, I'm from where you practice and I heard you're looking for an associate. Would it be cool if I visited your office and shadowed when I'm available?"? Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but I genuinely do not know how and when to look for a job as an associate. Any and all feedback would be most appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's never too early to start looking, but the owner might need an associate tomorrow. So I don't think you'll end up getting this job. That said, it doesn't hurt to meet and greet because this could turn into an opportunity later down the line. I've found networking is huge in dentistry and if you don't work for this guy, he might know someone that needs an associate when you're available. Something I've found over the years is a lot of dentists say they need an associate and either don't really need one, don't want to do the work to keep one busy, or don't know what to do with one when they get one.

Your best bet is to try and find a job after graduation where an associate is leaving due to buying a practice or relocation. Craigslist, Indeed, and your state/local ADA chapters are good resources. DentalTown is also good, if you're open to relocating. There's almost always someone on there looking for an associate in a rural area. You could also try some of the bigger Facebook groups. Dentists will occasionally look for an associate on there.

I started looking in the middle of my GPR (March-ish) and no one wanted to hire me because I wouldn't be ready until July. I had to look closer to my expected start date. It doesn't hurt to start doing some networking now. Who knows where it will lead later.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to have an idea on what is available. Contact local dental society. Make a resume and a short cover letter. No more then one page each and take it in person to dental offices you are interested in
When you complete your licensing exams, add that to your resume and post it on Indeed or similar

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to an equipment rep, they'll know who needs an associate and who can actually afford to pay one

Reactions: 1 users
Talk to an equipment rep, they'll know who needs an associate and who can actually afford to pay one
As a dental student, how do we get in touch with an equipment rep? I feel like in these last few months leading to graduation, we have had a lot of people contacting us such as the contract lawyers, the disability insurance people, the financial advisors etc., but I don’t think I’ve heard from an equipment rep.

As a dental student, how do we get in touch with an equipment rep? I feel like in these last few months leading to graduation, we have had a lot of people contacting us such as the contract lawyers, the disability insurance people, the financial advisors etc., but I don’t think I’ve heard from an equipment rep.
Go to a company's website or call them and ask for local rep
Make sure you have a nice, professionally looking resume, preferably with a picture and a list of references
Have all your applications ready in order to receive the license faster

Hi,
How much do entry level dentists make fresh out of college, in Kansas/Mid-west(USA)? Also, what type of career options available for new dentists?

Apologies if I'm asking this in the wrong forum, but it is a question I've had for a while. It's sort of a couple questions in one and is a little difficult to relay. First, is the spring semester of your third year of dental school too soon to inquire as to whether or not dentists in your community are looking for associates? I have never really had time to think about getting a job after dental school (and my school hasn't done the best job of preparing me for finding one), but it is kind of hitting me that I should start thinking about it. I have a friend who started practicing in my hometown where I want to practice, and he has told me that he knows of a dentist who is looking for an associate. Is it appropriate at this point in my dental school career to call this dentist and straight up ask, "hey, I'm from where you practice and I heard you're looking for an associate. Would it be cool if I visited your office and shadowed when I'm available?"? Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but I genuinely do not know how and when to look for a job as an associate. Any and all feedback would be most appreciated.
Corporate dentistry will approach you now and give you a for sure job when you get out but please stay away from them, the work and pay is basura