Finding out about a school's reputation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dunbar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read in many different posts about people picking schools based on reputation, but I'm not sure how they are arriving at these judgements. Are they speaking with doctors, current students, or is there some website (isn't there always) that gives them this information?

Thanks in advance,
Dunbar

Members don't see this ad.

Dunbar said:
I have read in many different posts about people picking schools based on reputation, but I'm not sure how they are arriving at these judgements. Are they speaking with doctors, current students, or is there some website (isn't there always) that gives them this information?

Thanks in advance,
Dunbar
Oh...its usually a combination of student word of mouth, professor/faculty knowledge, family beliefs and the oft-quoted but highly deried annual US News and World Report rankings. Each has its advantages and disadvantages and what might be a good school "by reputation" may not be the best choice for everyone.

Yeh... the methodology of the US News rankings is a joke... but I still use it :/

Most people are referring to US News when describing a school's reputation.