Finding physician to shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altamont850

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked and discussed ad nauseum but I honestly cannot find a physician to shadow. This summer I planned on doing some medical volunteering as well as shadowing a physician.

I emailed at least 5-7 doctors and received no responses. If it helps, I live in Leon county (Florida). Everytime I inquire about shadowing, I'm informed that only medical students shadow:confused:.

I understand that shadowing is essential, but it seems like these admission "hoops" test your ability to be enterprising rather than your interest in medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this question has been asked and discussed ad nauseum but I honestly cannot find a physician to shadow. This summer I planned on doing some medical volunteering as well as shadowing a physician.

I emailed at least 5-7 doctors and received no responses. If it helps, I live in Leon county (Florida). Everytime I inquire about shadowing, I'm informed that only medical students shadow:confused:.

I understand that shadowing is essential, but it seems like these admission "hoops" test your ability to be enterprising rather than your interest in medicine.

This is where you went wrong. The best way to maximize your chances at getting any results is to visit the doctor in person. If you have a family member or friend who has a doctor appointment, ask if you can accompany them and later ask that physician. Do you have an appointment with your own physician? Can you visit your physician? Do they know you well enough?

A face to face interaction makes your case more personal and will yield higher success rates than random emails or cold calls.

Once you get elementary shadowing, you can ask the physician you shadowed as a connection to those surgeons.

Emailing random doctors is OKAY, but it makes it seem like you really don't care, unless your email was like "Oh, I noticed how you won the nobel prize for this and how you achieved this and this and I was so impressed and inspired!" and anything else stalkerish like that.

This is where you went wrong. The best way to maximize your chances at getting any results is to visit the doctor in person. If you have a family member or friend who has a doctor appointment, ask if you can accompany them and later ask that physician. Do you have an appointment with your own physician? Can you visit your physician? Do they know you well enough?

A face to face interaction makes your case more personal and will yield higher success rates than random emails or cold calls.

Once you get elementary shadowing, you can ask the physician you shadowed as a connection to those surgeons.

Emailing random doctors is OKAY, but it makes it seem like you really don't care, unless your email was like "Oh, I noticed how you won the nobel prize for this and how you achieved this and this and I was so impressed and inspired!" and anything else stalkerish like that.

I've tried most of the methods you suggested (i.e. face-to-face, etc) and I'm always told that the HIPPA laws/regulations would pose a problem and when I visit walk-in clinics I'm told that only medical students may shadow:confused:. I thought the purpose of shadowing was to gain a more accurate appreciation and or view of medicine prior to entering medical school. Just recently, when I called a clinic, I was told "that it is inappropriate to contact a medical facility with such a request." I do not know any physicians personally and the few I've asked never help they just spout off about HIPPA and wish me luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried most of the methods you suggested (i.e. face-to-face, etc) and I'm always told that the HIPPA laws/regulations would pose a problem and when I visit walk-in clinics I'm told that only medical students may shadow:confused:. I thought the purpose of shadowing was to gain a more accurate appreciation and or view of medicine prior to entering medical school. Just recently, when I called a clinic, I was told "that it is inappropriate to contact a medical facility with such a request." I do not know any physicians personally and the few I've asked never help they just spout off about HIPPA and wish me luck.

Do you not have a PCP? That'd be the first person I would ask if I didn't have any physician contacts. Sorry you're not having much luck- I didn't know it could be this big of an issue finding someone to shadow. Keeping trying. You're bound to find someone who will let you shadow.

Ask a clinic manager and be persistent if cold calling doctors doesn't work out. Try to ask around for immediate family doctors or friends' doctors first, though.

I honestly had to email about 20 doctors for each invite I got to do shadowing. I just found their emails in the white pages for medical websites and emailed basically everyone in a department.

My only tip is to ask younger doctors. I found in general older doctors either didn't reply or were negative to the idea of having an undergrad shadow them.

I honestly had to email about 20 doctors for each invite I got to do shadowing. I just found their emails in the white pages for medical websites and emailed basically everyone in a department.

My only tip is to ask younger doctors. I found in general older doctors either didn't reply or were negative to the idea of having an undergrad shadow them.

Well if you look like a cat I can see why you had to email them instead of going to their office in person.

:cool: