Finding time to see a therapist in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonmed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety lately. I used to see a therapist several years ago, and I think it would be helpful to pursue that again. But is it even possible to see a psychologist/therapist for regular sessions during residency? I'm never available during the 8am-5pm hours on weekdays...

My residency program has a mental health program that is free and supposedly confidential, but I'm nervous going that route. But I'm too broke to pay for outside therapist...

Would appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety lately. I used to see a therapist several years ago, and I think it would be helpful to pursue that again. But is it even possible to see a psychologist/therapist for regular sessions during residency? I'm never available during the 8am-5pm hours on weekdays...

My residency program has a mental health program that is free and supposedly confidential, but I'm nervous going that route. But I'm too broke to pay for outside therapist...

It is possible but will be hard. If you can talk with whoever creates your schedule and tell them you have some health needs and need some time to meet with whoever. Keeping you mentally stable is good for the residency program. Telling them what is going on entirely depends on your program.

All GME programs are required to allow emergency leave/coverage for mental health, most even have counselors on staff. Do not feel bad about taking advantage of this offering, your health is paramount to your own safety as well as your patients.

Reactions: 3 users
Many (most?) therapists have evening hours, often appointments starting up until 8pm. I would find someone that can work with your schedule.

I definitely support you trying to find a therapist that you can work with. There may be some that are in-network for your insurance and this may limit the cost to just your co-pay.

The biggest issue, as you point out, is going to be finding a time that works for both of you on a semi-regular basis. You don't mention your specialty, but I'm going to assume it's something with inpatient/ICU requirements and a jacked up schedule that will make it hard to have a regular appointment slot. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to do so.

And if you need to take an hour or two in the middle of the day once every week or two in order to do this, you certainly can. This will raise some eyebrows no doubt, but I've known several people that have done so (including one in Gen Surg) with the support of their program. As long as you get the work done, you should be OK. You'll definitely need your PD's support in this, but s/he should be willing to do so, especially if the alternative is your symptoms becoming overwhelming and requiring you to take an LOA, or worse, leave the program entirely.

Reactions: 1 users
Would be careful using therapist provided by your Residency since if any issues happen in the future that knowledge could be used against you.

Perhaps borrow money and use outside therapist?

Reactions: 2 users
Just adding to what's been suggested above

- it can be program specific, sometimes, anecdotally.
Generally, it's better to seek help early. and it's looked on better as well, that you recognized you needed help and did the adult/mature thing of handling it on your own early on, before it mushrooms.

Occasionally there's concerns raised about residents seeing psychologists - which is a bit disheartening. it shouldn't be this way, there ideally shouldn't be any stigma etc. etc.

you could always try to ask the residents you trust on how this is generally perceived, or what's a good idea specific to where you are. What's the vibe in your program?

Is the mental health service with counsellors or psychologists affiliated with the hospital or program?
some outsource this for staff, so it's with a clinic or company entirely unaffiliated and can actually be handled rather anonymously. hours may be flexible to your schedule (i.e. open on weekends or early mornings) or phone calls instead of in person.

I would call/email all of the therapists in your insurance network, explain your situation/schedule, and ask if they are open to week-by-week scheduling and/or evening/weekend appointments. I did this in medical school and was able to meet with my therapist on Saturday mornings if we didn't have a compatible weekday time. Good job getting the help you need to live the life you deserve.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
never ever have any health related issues be made known to the workplace. especially mental health.

i cant emphasize it anymore.
u have been warned.

I would check out a session via skype of facetime.

I would check out a session via skype of facetime.

This is a reasonable suggestion. Talkspace advertises on NPR. I have no experience with it, perhaps others do.

If one of my residents brought this issue to me, we'd figure out a way for them to attend. However, the disruption to the team workflow on inpatient rotations would be challenging, and the resident would be expected to get all of their work done. Hence the online option seems like it might be a great solution -- flexible timing, no travel, etc.

never ever have any health related issues be made known to the workplace. especially mental health.

i cant emphasize it anymore.
u have been warned.

Disagree. If someone is pregnant, the residency needs to know. If they are having complications of their pregnancy, the residency needs to know. If someone has a chronic disease that flares and they need time off to manage it, the residency needs to know. (And by 'the residency', I mean chiefs and program leadership, not necessarily everyone in the residency program).

Mental health gets a little sticky, but feel out the program. Our program is very supportive and tries to make accommodations whenever possible, but I realize that not every program is like this.

Reactions: 1 users
The program can use it against you when the need arises

Ain't that the truth.

The kicker is they can also force you to undergo psychiatric testing and pretty much fabricate a documented "issue."

Basically they keep the cake, eat it, then get another cake, and eat that one too. Then they take your cupcake.

Hi, lurking and thought I'd drop in. I treated a bunch of med students and residents while in graduate school. It was through our clinical psychology program's training clinic (separate from the college counseling center). Totally free, no insurance involved, minimal paper trail. I was super flexible with scheduling since I knew what the demands were. (I required weekly sessions with commitment to homework but would offer different days/times as needed.) I'd recommend seeing if a local phd program has a training clinic open to the community. If it's not free, it'll at least be sliding scale. Feel free to send a PM if you want to know if a local program is reputable.

Reactions: 1 user