Fingerprinting at VA hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobblehead

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been mentioned at my hospital that the VA will begin fingerprinting all employees, physicians, students, volunteers, etc. in the near future. The closest link that I've found for this is here:
http://www.house.gov/va/hearings/schedule108/mar04/3-31-04/fmurphy.html

and here:
http://veterans.house.gov/hearings/schedule109/jun06/6-15-06/GAO_testimony.pdf

So far I haven't heard anything definite yet but this is one of those "will happen" events coming down from the administrative levels. Anyone here work in a VA where they've begun to do fingerprint screening?

What happens if you refuse the screening? Have people worked out arrangements for their jobs if they declined to be fingerprinted?

Members don't see this ad.

At our program you have no choice in the matter. If you choose not to be fingerprinted, you will be ejected from residency since 2 months of VA wards is mandatory for all interns. On the other hand, if a fingerprint background check reveals something shady from your past, then the medical residency committee will meet to see if this warrants you being "invited to leave."

Our VA has already started fingerprint screening.

Bobblehead said:
It's been mentioned at my hospital that the VA will begin fingerprinting all employees, physicians, students, volunteers, etc. in the near future. The closest link that I've found for this is here:

and here:

So far I haven't heard anything definite yet but this is one of those "will happen" events coming down from the administrative levels. Anyone here work in a VA where they've begun to do fingerprint screening?

What happens if you refuse the screening? Have people worked out arrangements for their jobs if they declined to be fingerprinted?

My VA didn't give us a choice either....I was forced to sit for my photo, get finger-printed and then go through HIPPA training before I could start or get a network password

DreamLover said:
My VA didn't give us a choice either....I was forced to sit for my photo, get finger-printed and then go through HIPPA training before I could start or get a network password

same here in addition to the extensive background check paperwork I had to fill out.. . . and they actually followed up with references who could vouch for my whereabouts and work/education history over the past 5 years.

did somebody say big brother??

I guess the VA certification process is not run by nursing staff.

What is the difference between a bullet and a VA nurse?
A bullet can draw blood. There is a second part of the joke from which I will refrain.
:D

VA nursing favorite quote: "Not my job" or "not my patient"

Here comes the "HEY I was a VA nurse and I drew so much blood . . . blah blah blah."

had it done even though i'm probably not gonna be working at va this year. the process pretty interesting. they squirt ur fingers w/ water and then u roll it around a scanner w/ a glass pane and an image appears on the computer.

bulldog said:
had it done even though i'm probably not gonna be working at va this year. the process pretty interesting. they squirt ur fingers w/ water and then u roll it around a scanner w/ a glass pane and an image appears on the computer.

I had to go through this process, the fingerprint machine is pretty cool. Though when I had to "roll" my fingers it had the darnedest time capturing my prints. I must have strange digits, no wonder I'm not in surgery.

I'm surprised why the issue with fingerprinting? You can't get a license to be a pharmacist in CA without fingerprints, so fingerprinting in a federal hospital is no big deal for us. What is the concern? I'm just curious.....

sdn1977 said:
I'm surprised why the issue with fingerprinting? You can't get a license to be a pharmacist in CA without fingerprints, so fingerprinting in a federal hospital is no big deal for us. What is the concern? I'm just curious.....

Because so far all the paperwork I've submitted for licensing and the various drug numbers has never included fingerprints. I'm not convinced this makes us any "safer" but once again assumes we're all criminals. Of course if you have no criminal record you have nothing to hide so you should just go ahead with this unreasonable search and seizure. And we all can rest confident in the fact that the VA will protect our information with the greatest care for ever and ever.

Unfortunately I may also have to suck it up and submit to this procedure when I get re-credentialed at the VA unless I can find a way around working in the VA.

I've been finger-printed and background-checked so many times in the course of my work. It's required by my state (Ca) and most others when you apply for licensure. I've also been required to get tested for HCV and HIV (that's de riguer if you work for the military.

As a registered Libertarian, I don't like this Big-Brotherism, but that's the way it is. :D

Bobblehead said:
Because so far all the paperwork I've submitted for licensing and the various drug numbers has never included fingerprints. I'm not convinced this makes us any "safer" but once again assumes we're all criminals. Of course if you have no criminal record you have nothing to hide so you should just go ahead with this unreasonable search and seizure. And we all can rest confident in the fact that the VA will protect our information with the greatest care for ever and ever.

Unfortunately I may also have to suck it up and submit to this procedure when I get re-credentialed at the VA unless I can find a way around working in the VA.

Ok....I get your point in your perception of the unreasonableness (sp???). It doesn't demonstrate how "safe" you are - it just demonstrates your past ability to be susceptible to criminal intent.

However....the rationale for pharmacists (at least in CA - can't speak for all 50 states!) is we have access to all controlled substances (CI - yes there is a CI - V) & others with abuse potential.

There is also evidence to support the issue that drug diversion is an issue among pharmacists (altho lower than physcians & nurses surprisingly), so we get fingerprinted in a "proactive" fashion. This has been the case in CA for nearly 30 years.

So a rationale question is - what happens if your fingerprints come up with a questionable background? Well....nothing if it relates to something which is not drug related (at least for us). Since you as physicians have access to many drugs, altho not as many as me perhaps, there is still the potential, which might lead to license questioning. For pharmacists - it is a real big issue - you usually have to appear before the state board before you even get to take the exam. What happens if nothing is found in the background check - absolutely nothing at all & no one ever looks at it again.

And - no - your information is not protected at all. It goes into a national data base which is accessed by ALL law enforcement nationwide. But....get used to it! If you decide to be your son's soccer coach or Boy Scout leader or if you volunteer to be a driver for your daughter's Girl Scout group to the zoo - you have to get fingerprinted first (CA - Megan's law). I've done all of them & the sooner your prints are on file with the govt (all fingerprints get sent to the FBI which maintains the data base) - the faster you can be a driver - or you can let somebody else drive your kids.....

All sorts of professions do this & all professions involving children - so why get worked up?

sdn1977 said:
But....get used to it! If you decide to be your son's soccer coach or Boy Scout leader or if you volunteer to be a driver for your daughter's Girl Scout group to the zoo - you have to get fingerprinted first (CA - Megan's law). I've done all of them & the sooner your prints are on file with the govt (all fingerprints get sent to the FBI which maintains the data base) - the faster you can be a driver - or you can let somebody else drive your kids.....

All sorts of professions do this & all professions involving children - so why get worked up?

I have a clear and much easier choice in pursuing or not pursuing the above mentioned activities vs. trying to get out of a requirement of my job. Changing leisure activities is a lot easier than changing jobs. I could go into a long tirade about risk management vs. risk avoidance (ala TSA) but we just won't go there without something ugly happening.

You know what they say about the road to hell. After all, since anyone could potentially be around children why not just fingerprint everyone? It needs to be done sooner or later. And we should probably collect a DNA sample as well just to be safe. And so forth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

Bobblehead said:

and here:

Actually Bobblehead, most states require fingerprinting as well in order to get your medical license. :eek: Just how many weapons have your prints anyway?

Obedeli said:
Actually Bobblehead, most states require fingerprinting as well in order to get your medical license. :eek: Just how many weapons have your prints anyway?

I figured this uninformed comment would appear eventually. Thank you for taking it to the next level. Now we can sling personal insults against each other. After all, only the guilty need to be afraid of new intrusions on your life to make you "safer".

Most does not equal all.