Finished Intern Year, learned a lot, but still feel dumb!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Relentlessrook18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love my job. It's tough, but I think we all know that going in. Everyday I learn something new. I still know that I make dumb mistakes here and there though. About to start having to do night calls on my own. They are 24 hour shifts. Does anyone else feel terrified/dumb/not ready for it? Any advice from any 3rd year residents or even attendings that have "been there and done that?" My worst fear is that I am going to hurt someone while on call.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I love my job. It's tough, but I think we all know that going in. Everyday I learn something new. I still know that I make dumb mistakes here and there though. About to start having to do night calls on my own. They are 24 hour shifts. Does anyone else feel terrified/dumb/not ready for it? Any advice from any 3rd year residents or even attendings that have "been there and done that?" My worst fear is that I am going to hurt someone while on call.
Thanks!
Don't be afraid to ask for help, it's what your attendings are for.

Beyond that, you know more than you think.

My first overnight as an upper level I ended up admitting 4 patients to various ICUs. They all lived.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm 6 years out of residency and still make mistakes. We all do. Anyone who says otherwise has their pride getting in the way of reality. As long as you're asking for help on things you're not 100% sure on, you'll probably be in good shape.

Reactions: 1 user