finished - july 24th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sakz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so these threads were kinda useful for me, so i figured i'd give back.

QR: 20
RC: 21
Bio: 19
GC: 18
OC: 21
PAT: 28
TS: 19
AA: 20

im overall happy with my scores. been getting higher on my topscore tests, so i'm kinda annoyed that i couldnt get the same scores or the TS to at least a 20, but i'm not going to try to retake since i'm finally free.

Bio : everyone says it: random. pretty sure i got all the stuff i knew correct, but there were some of those q's where i was just clueless and no matter how much harder/longer i studied i wouldve overlooked some stuff. i used cliffs AP - made notes from there, Kaplan BB, and destoryer. i tihnk destroyer helped in a few random concepts here and there.

GC: i HATED these classes when i took em a couple years ago, but going through it all, i realized i was just a lazy student my freshman year. the stuff was really easy in my opinion, but i dunno what i got wrong (kind of annoying). but destroyer helped out a lot. also used kaplan

OC: i thought i got everything correct on this in my opinion, but obviously not. destoryer = great for this. i finished the science with ~20 min left

PAT: :) i actually thought this was a little harder than CDP, but it might just have been that i was nervous about making dumb mistakes. i was getting 22/23 on all my CDP tests. i finished with 25 min left. went through all the angles again and changed up a couple (i assume i changed them to the right answer), re-did all the cube counting to make sure i didnt lose any easy points and just went through the rest of the problems i could before the break.

RC: passages weren't too bad. only practice i did with these were on topscore and kaplan online tests. i figured i know how to read so i'd be fine

QR: i've always been good at math. i had math destroyer but opened it once about a month ago then just let it collect dust. i picked it up 2 days before the test and started to FREAK out. topscore qr was really easy compared to all those problems. finished the whole book that day/the day before my test and all i can say is THANK GOD i did that, saved me on a few q's since they were similar to what i saw.

finally able to enjoy the summer :)

Members don't see this ad.

Nice scores,
I was wondering if you could go into detail on how CDP compared to the real PAT. Did you only study for the QR with Math destroyer?
thanks

Nice job, did you think MATH destroyer was overkill? Would it have been helpful if you did all of the problems?

Congrats! Your scores are very good but odd in a sense that I usually don't see people who score higher in their QR, PAT, and RC. It is usually the other way around...How did you approach RC and QR?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my first/last DAT. Pretty pumped right now!
bio-17
GC-19
OC-18
PAT-23
RC-26
QR-19
TS-18
AA-20
All i did to study was Kaplan, I didn't open a single other book. Kaplan is a pretty solid base for all the sections in my opinion. However, I was testing around a 17-19 on all the practice tests. On test day, I felt like the reading and PAT were a little easier. My reading passages were all pretty interesting and not too lengthy. The math was freaking impossible. I considered myself pretty good at math and was thrown off by the difficulty of many of the QR questions. I guess Kaplan was slacking in that dept. The bio section also threw me off because there were a good amount of question that I had no clue about. I recommend using several sources for Bio. I have never been good at GC and OC, but the section didn't seem terrible.

Nice scores,
I was wondering if you could go into detail on how CDP compared to the real PAT. Did you only study for the QR with Math destroyer?
thanks

format is almost exactly the same. the keyholes took the longest since there weren't as many irregularities between the holes as CDP. TFE was pretty easy. angles were about the same, but some of em were nice and it was easy to differentiate sizes (this was the main part i was worried about).

as soon as i finish angles, it was easy since i like the hole punching, cube counting, and pattern folding. only thing that threw me off was that the cubes for cube counting were huge. i had to scoot back to see the whole thing so i wouldnt lose my place.

i guess i kind of lied when i said it was a little harder than CDP now that i think about it. maybe a little easier actually.

Nice job, did you think MATH destroyer was overkill? Would it have been helpful if you did all of the problems?

math destroyer saved me basically. topscore and kaplan i was scoring 20-24ish so i figured i was fine. main thing that scared me was seeing people's scores from last week. seen some low scores so i was wondering whats the deal. i picked up the math destroyer and started looking through and realized i dunno how to do more complex problems.

i literally went through all 10 tests. i skipped a bunch of simple problems (find x kind of ones), but went through each and every word problem. even if i saw a similar one, i would still do it just to get practice. also the formulas in the front page helped. if i didnt look at the law of sines before i slept/googled some examples i wouldve got one wrong right there lol.

speed wasn't really a problem for me. finished all but 3/4 with about 5 min left. those last ones just threw me for a loop. i'd say overall too much practice could never hurt since itll help with speed also.

Congrats! Your scores are very good but odd in a sense that I usually don't see people who score higher in their QR, PAT, and RC. It is usually the other way around...How did you approach RC and QR?

lol yea it is kind of goofy. for RC i really didn't do much to be honest. i never went through the ones in the kaplan BB. on the kaplan tests i even skipped through it cuz i didnt feel like doing it a couple times. my strategy was skim through the passage really fast and just write down all the words that will probably come up in some questions later on. worked well for me. finished with about 8 min left.

so these threads were kinda useful for me, so i figured i'd give back.

QR: 20
RC: 21
Bio: 19
GC: 18
OC: 21
PAT: 28
TS: 19
AA: 20

im overall happy with my scores. been getting higher on my topscore tests, so i'm kinda annoyed that i couldnt get the same scores or the TS to at least a 20, but i'm not going to try to retake since i'm finally free.

Bio : everyone says it: random. pretty sure i got all the stuff i knew correct, but there were some of those q's where i was just clueless and no matter how much harder/longer i studied i wouldve overlooked some stuff. i used cliffs AP - made notes from there, Kaplan BB, and destoryer. i tihnk destroyer helped in a few random concepts here and there.

GC: i HATED these classes when i took em a couple years ago, but going through it all, i realized i was just a lazy student my freshman year. the stuff was really easy in my opinion, but i dunno what i got wrong (kind of annoying). but destroyer helped out a lot. also used kaplan

OC: i thought i got everything correct on this in my opinion, but obviously not. destoryer = great for this. i finished the science with ~20 min left

PAT: :) i actually thought this was a little harder than CDP, but it might just have been that i was nervous about making dumb mistakes. i was getting 22/23 on all my CDP tests. i finished with 25 min left. went through all the angles again and changed up a couple (i assume i changed them to the right answer), re-did all the cube counting to make sure i didnt lose any easy points and just went through the rest of the problems i could before the break.

RC: passages weren't too bad. only practice i did with these were on topscore and kaplan online tests. i figured i know how to read so i'd be fine

QR: i've always been good at math. i had math destroyer but opened it once about a month ago then just let it collect dust. i picked it up 2 days before the test and started to FREAK out. topscore qr was really easy compared to all those problems. finished the whole book that day/the day before my test and all i can say is THANK GOD i did that, saved me on a few q's since they were similar to what i saw.

finally able to enjoy the summer :)

hey saks your PAT is the highest i have ever seen and you said you finished really quickly.

Can u please tell me what stradegy you are using for the ANGLES? they vary so much for me.

the hil method, laptop ? Does the 1-3-4-2 & 3-1-2-4 type of choices come up alot.

P,S sorry i messaged you also I realized i had like 10 unread messages so i doubt any1 checks those!

hey saks your PAT is the highest i have ever seen and you said you finished really quickly.

Can u please tell me what stradegy you are using for the ANGLES? they vary so much for me.

the hil method, laptop ? Does the 1-3-4-2 & 3-1-2-4 type of choices come up alot.

P,S sorry i messaged you also I realized i had like 10 unread messages so i doubt any1 checks those!

check your pm

bunch of ppl pming me about the pat section, so here goes

for keyholes, just look at all the holes that can't fit and eliminate them, thats easier than finding the correct one first. when u have a couple that could be the answer, look for noticeable differences between them (i.e. distances b/w things, the length of things, etc.) and see if those keys have it on the actual block.

top front end, i dont really have a strategy. i just try the line counting. some of em were mind boggling on the test, so i just tried to see where the dashed lines/solid lines should be. the answer choices are pretty easy for this in my opinion.

angles i would quickly scan em and try to figure out the order. if that order was one of the answers, i would usually go with it. when there were a couple angles that were really similar, AND the same orientation i would try the laptop/hill method. for ones that had DIFFERENT orientations, i would try to see which one could possibily fit inside the other. i didnt try to use the laptop/hill for angles that are sideways since i'd have to tilt my head and if i wasn't lined up with one of the lines perfectly, it would bias one of the angles. if i was really struggling on some i would just mark it and go back to it afterwards. chances were that my eyes were tired of looking at those angles and i didnt know what to look for. once i came back to them, it was like starting fresh and i could be able to see the difference for some reason.

the people at the center let me hold stuff up to the screen so when the legs were really small, its hard to tell which one was bigger/smaller so i'd extend the legs and get an idea of how big the angle is that way.

cube counting, just make sure you get everything right since this is just easy points. i just tallied them up and double checked when i finished. if you think you lost your place while counting, START OVER. don't try to guess where you last were, cuz that could mess you up. the lady walking around accidentally clipped the cubicle when she was turning the corner so that got my attention and i had to start over.

pattern folding is hard to explain. i know theres that wicked sick pat tutorial around here somewhere so i'd suggest go to that for some instruction. basically i just looked at each answer one by one and checked if you can make that object (everything is in the right orientation and all the sides with designs match up properly.