Finished one of my summer classes, got a question about the grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xplayer2885

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i finished genetics, this summer with an A in lecture an lab!!!!!:D But iv takin it 3 times befor a school i no longer attend. I got an D, W, an F all with the same proff. If im asked to explain this on an interveiw what am i gonna say??

Members don't see this ad.

hmm. well why did you get those grades the first 3 times????

The proff was an incompetent. Didnt matter how i studied; an many methods were tried, this guy just stunk. Not to mention he was an alcoholic an wouold so up either drunk or hung over....I learned alot..

Members don't see this ad :)
The proff was an incompetent. Didnt matter how i studied; an many methods were tried, this guy just stunk. Not to mention he was an alcoholic an wouold so up either drunk or hung over....I learned alot..

What about the textbook you used? Was the author incompetent too?

I'm sure dental schools want to hear students bitch about their teachers when that student fails a class.

I gotta agree with the post above. I'm sure dental schools "love" hearing prospective students bitch about their previous professors.
Anyway, I think everyone has had a professor that sucks including me. So I really can't think of a good excuse for you because you took the class 3 times and it just does not look too good.

I gotta agree with the post above. I'm sure dental schools "love" hearing prospective students bitch about their previous professors.
Anyway, I think everyone has had a professor that sucks including me. So I really can't think of a good excuse for you because you took the class 3 times and it just does not look too good.

Are you trying to say im not ever gonna get in? Atleast i didnt quit. An the text book, i read the book an did the practice questions in the book an had a tutor. How much more was i exspect to do?

Only you can really answer this question.

Only you can really answer this question.

You know i come here to ask a simple question an i get bashed. You all automaticaly assume im some lazy *****. I also happined to be very sick last year, did you know that? No? You assume im just another jerk off.I think you guys enjoy watching other people struggle. I beat the odds an i DID eventually ace the class.

Good job on passing the class, and they are being honest not sadistic. You've got to expect answers like that if you're going to post on SDN. lmao :laugh:

Just tell the interviewers what happened. Explain that the professor had a drinking problem (but do not make it sound like you are whining) but be prepared to answer questions about why you took it again with the same professor, twice nonetheless, when you knew that he was not very good. Then also tell them that you were sick (are we talking like mono sick or oh I had a flu for one week sick?). Tell them that the class was difficult for you and but that you were determined to overcome the challenge and do well. Explain how you didn't give up even when you got discouraged and finally managed to not only pass, but to get an A! Make it a story about over coming an obstacle or a hardship and I think it will go over a bit better.

Good Luck! :luck::thumbup::)

I think xplayer needs a nap because he sounds cranky. I am not trying to be rude, but your first post sounds whiny. Oh and by the way, you did not mention you were very sick last year. I am sorry, but we did ask you why you did bad in the class? I'm sorry for not remembering you were sick, my crystal ball was out of order when I was reading your post. My sincere apologies.

Good job on passing the class, and they are being honest not sadistic. You've got to expect answers like that if you're going to post on SDN. lmao :laugh:

Just tell the interviewers what happened. Explain that the professor had a drinking problem (but do not make it sound like you are whining) but be prepared to answer questions about why you took it again with the same professor, twice nonetheless, when you knew that he was not very good. Then also tell them that you were sick (are we talking like mono sick or oh I had a flu for one week sick?). Tell them that the class was difficult for you and but that you were determined to overcome the challenge and do well. Explain how you didn't give up even when you got discouraged and finally managed to not only pass, but to get an A! Make it a story about over coming an obstacle or a hardship and I think it will go over a bit better.

Good Luck! :luck::thumbup::)

Oo im talking i got bronchitus 3 times, which turned into walking pnumonia. Had pink eye twice, few ear infections, lots of sinus infections.. Every test under the sun to see what i had was scary. I guess momma kept me too clean as a kid! I dont me to freak out on ppl, its just that i went from a 3.7 to a 1.87. I had transferred schools last year to try an give my self more of a challenge. Needless to say im back at my old school, an im gonna just about kiss the ground the 1st day of class!!!:D

You know i come here to ask a simple question an i get bashed. You all automaticaly assume im some lazy *****. I also happined to be very sick last year, did you know that? No? You assume im just another jerk off.I think you guys enjoy watching other people struggle. I beat the odds an i DID eventually ace the class.

dude stop overreacting. no where in my post did i hint or even slightly suggest that you are a lazy person/jerk off whatever you just called yourself. However, what I said was the truth. No one can answer this question for you about why you had to take a class 3x to get an A. Only you know the answer. You said you were very sick that is a legit reason. Why would anyone want to see another person suffer? We are trying to enter a health profession field of helping others and the community. Clearly you do not come on SDN enough to notice that there are way more helpful people on this site than there are bashers/haters. With that I wish you the best of luck in your application process.

In my opinion, you should definitly NEVER blame the professor..this is very unprofessional, especially in a graduate school interview. Talk about your struggles, how you've overcome them, and how it has made you such a hard worker. Mention that it was a lesson learned and you don't regret it happening.

Good Luck!

What about the textbook you used? Was the author incompetent too?

I'm sure dental schools want to hear students bitch about their teachers when that student fails a class.

Don't worry, i've noticed UCSF2012 never has anything good to say. Must be an angry kid at heart...had a rough childhood or something....either that or hes snobby and just thinks hes better than all of us.

Of course you're going to be bashed because first of all, WE don't know the answer to the question of why you got those grades. And second of all, blaming teachers for awful grades is never a good excuse...we have all had our share of terrible professors but if you study the text, do the work, and pass the exams, even a terrible professor can't avoid giving you the grade you deserve.

Oh, and third of all, you can't assume we all telepathically know that you were sick during much of the class. If that was significant enough to make you miss a lot of it, then there is your reason right there.

Oo im talking i got bronchitus 3 times, which turned into walking pnumonia. Had pink eye twice, few ear infections, lots of sinus infections.. Every test under the sun to see what i had was scary. I guess momma kept me too clean as a kid! I dont me to freak out on ppl, its just that i went from a 3.7 to a 1.87. I had transferred schools last year to try an give my self more of a challenge. Needless to say im back at my old school, an im gonna just about kiss the ground the 1st day of class!!!:D

Whoa, it must have sucked to be sick that often... my only question is whether you were sick all three times you did poorly... just giving you something to think about when trying to explain yourself. Anyhow, good job on the A, hopefully that counts for something.