Finished pre-med coursework, take additional courses via Harvard Extension?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atphydrolysis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is this? It's kind of a "do it yourself SMP." Although, not really an SMP because the courses are not medical school/ish courses.

However, I was thinking about boosting my application with some of the biology courses that are not pre med, such as the courses in immunology, neurobiology, physiology, etc.

Any experiences/opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a degree candidate at the Extension School for my ALB in Sciences. You've got to put this into perspective, these are tough courses and any of these would be worthwhile but make sure that they are good grades you come out with. Have fun and good luck!

If you have a low GPA (3.3 and under) I would prob do an SMP. This is because I spent this past year doing a post bacc at Harvard taking 24 upper level sciences and saw that my GPA after the year (and getting a ~3.8) was still not good enough for med schools. Should've done the SMP from the get-go. But if your GPA isn't that bad and you just need a little enhancer, the HES classes are pretty inexpensive and a good option.