Finishing college an awful GPA (2.0-2.7) as a SCIENCE major and what to do about it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Upwardtrendfornow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reason I put the 2.0 to 2.7 range is because a lot of schools have minimum cut offs of 2.75.

I have known cases of people who graduated with GPAs as low as 2.2 while being business or arts majors but the reason was they partied too hard and the best thing for them? They hardly took any science classes which meant that their science GPA could be easily improved if they decided years down the road to become a doctor.

Now you have the case with someone who say graduated as a physics, chemistry, or bio major and their story is a little different. For people like that, their low GPA is likely flooded with low grades in upper level science classes as well so not only do they have a low overall GPA but likely a low science GPA as well.

Say a couple years later after college, people in this situation, have aspirations of becoming a doctor or dentist (both schools are similarly competitive and strict when it comes to GPA), what is the best path for them to take?

You're not only trying to raise a low GPA but also a low science GPA.

In that case, what is the path for a person like that to get into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

The fastest path to medical school with a low GPA and a lot of science credits is to familiarize yourself with an osteopathic (DO) school plan of attack. You can retake ANY course and the most recent course grade will replace the previous grade. Say I got a C in Chem 1 and then retook it and got an A- the A- will replace the old grade. On the other hand, if I had a C and retook a course and got a D then the D grade counts into the gpa.

Two paths:

Fastest will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework and apply to DO schools.

If you're boning for the MD degree, do either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or better, a SMP, preferably one at an MD school. If you ace these, and MCAT as well, there are MD schools that reward reinvention.

Say a couple years later after college, people in this situation, have aspirations of becoming a doctor or dentist (both schools are similarly competitive and strict when it comes to GPA), what is the best path for them to take?

In that case, what is the path for a person like that to get into med school?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reason I put the 2.0 to 2.7 range is because a lot of schools have minimum cut offs of 2.75.

I have known cases of people who graduated with GPAs as low as 2.2 while being business or arts majors but the reason was they partied too hard and the best thing for them? They hardly took any science classes which meant that their science GPA could be easily improved if they decided years down the road to become a doctor.

Now you have the case with someone who say graduated as a physics, chemistry, or bio major and their story is a little different. For people like that, their low GPA is likely flooded with low grades in upper level science classes as well so not only do they have a low overall GPA but likely a low science GPA as well.

In that case, what is the path for a person like that to get into med school?
Your only realistic path is DO with grade replacement, but if your GPA is honestly as low as 2.2, just accept your fate and move onto another career. If you were working hard and got those grades, you're unlikely to magically turn things around and get a 3.4 and a good MCAT; it'll take you too many years to be actually worth it.

thing is I was not working hard to get those grades
Well, it's up to you. I had a ~2.7ish in social sciences and built my way up. It took me about 3 years (with class availability and doing all other EC) to get in decent shape to apply to med school. As you say, I was in a better shape because I didn't have a science GPA and that ended up being 3.6 or so, whereas my overall was like 3.2. I honestly don't recommend the med school path if you had a 2.2. You're seriously going against a steep hill just for the possibility of maybe making it into school. On hindsight, I took a huge gamble doing this, and I did get lucky to make it. However, spending 1-3 years switching into a more lucrative career that will be paying you is a lot wiser. I still have to wait 7+ years after getting in to be able to start making real money.

If you're still going to do this, just calculate how many years it'll take and what GPA you must get. It's going to be stressful because you can't make a single mistake along the way, and then the MCAT can stop you dead on spot after years of being successful. After you've done all this, think about it again. Then make your choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Upwardtrendfornow!

You clearly want to be a doctor.. now do it! Focus, sacrifice and enjoy every bit of your school work from this point forward. Aim for the moon (MD or DO) because if you miss you will be among the stars (PA, Nurse/NP/CNA, Dentist, Pharmacist). Take the courses, improve the GPA, take the MCAT, apply for med schools.. etc. If you do not get in, make sure to ask for feedback. If MD does not work, try DO schools. If you need to do a Masters postbac go do it! If you need to go into the Caribbean, go! If you need to be a PA, nurse or dentist for a few years prior to coming back to med school then so be it. Its your life. Its your 70-80 years. Dont worry about any negative stereotypes or what others think. In 100 years there will be all new people. Try to do your best and get better each and every day.. and for god sakes man/woman.. ENJOY YOURSELF!

I was actually surprised to find this post. I also had a low science GPA. I worked 2 part-time jobs ( sometimes 3) every year of college. My parents didn't have some college fund set up for me and I didn't balance well my priorities. Many people work full time jobs with families and still get high GPA's but I had to admit that I became lost in trying to balance making money to pay for classes/books, sleep, volunteering, social activities and adequate study time. That was over 7yrs ago. Now I am currently applying to masters and post bacc programs because this is my dream and I am a different person. You, We and people like us are NEVER closed out of any options for becoming a doctor so don't believe those stories. ND, DO, MD and more is at your disposal. I currently am close friends for about 6 yrs with 2 M.D.'s (Internist & General Practitioner) who both had our same story. One did a post-bacc and the other was accepted straight in. Unless I met them, I would have never known that all the people, including my college counselor, were wrong about me choosing a different route instead of following my dreams in-spite of my extra detours. I hate that there is a mold for this that doesn't fit everyone. As if 4.0 students are automatically great doctors. The fact is that everyone has a different path and the best doctors are not the ones with 4.0's but the ones who know their calling and chased after it with all their heart and might. How many times have you asked your doctor during a visit for his transcripts? Its great to have a smart doctor and one that keeps abreast with existing and current education in his/her field but Im looking for in addition to "brains", compassion, kindness, attentiveness, critical thinker, quality bedside manner and the ability to follow through on our visits if additional testing/meds are ordered. What this field doesn't need more of are doctors who half read charts, push prescriptions, don't even touch patients and always sends a PA in but never actually sees you after you waited a month for the appt.. Let's guess their GPA's! Ha! You must be the complete package because too many doctors are "brains" and no beauty to how they practice. Whether you got your 4.0 or 2.7 in undergrad, There is a seat for you somewhere in grad school as long as you are willing to do the work, even if that means a masters prgm or a post bacc but you will never know if you don't do all you can do. Remember-all you need is 1 (one) YES. See ya on the other side my friend!

OK guys, team spirit and pats on the back are always a good thing. But lets not pretend that there is no difference between a 4.0 student and a 2.0 student, no correlation between GPA and performance in med school, no correlation between step 1 scores and the quality of the physician, and no such thing as an unredeemable pre-med. I say this as a student who was less than perfect initially, work to be as good as your peers. AdCom members do take a holistic look at your app, true. But they only do this once your stats are acceptable. Do NOT do an SMP unless you have proven yourself academically. A poor performance in an SMP will absolutely kill your chances.

Reactions: 1 users
OK guys, team spirit and pats on the back are always a good thing. But lets not pretend that there is no difference between a 4.0 student and a 2.0 student, no correlation between GPA and performance in med school, no correlation between step 1 scores and the quality of the physician, and no such thing as an unredeemable pre-med. I say this as a student who was less than perfect initially, work to be as good as your peers. AdCom members do take a holistic look at your app, true. But they only do this once your stats are acceptable. Do NOT do an SMP unless you have proven yourself academically. A poor performance in an SMP will absolutely kill your chances.

It is wise to have an accurate view of your self-efficacy. Don't embark on something without looking within yourself to figure out where you are now, where you hope to be, and where you'll most likely be. Once you commit to whatever path you're absolutely certain of, you'll need to devote your everything to accomplishing that task. Check this out and listen to his philosophy! Good luck!

What would you describe as or put as the cutoff for being a "unredeemable pre-med". I love your honesty btw because as encouraging as motivation and the "you can do anything you set your mind to" speeches might be (no offense to anyone giving them), it would quite frankly suck a lot if a guy made close to 4.0s for 2 years and aced the SMP + made above a 30 on the MCAT for him to still not have a shot after all that time.

What would you describe as or put as the cutoff for being a "unredeemable pre-med". I love your honesty btw because as encouraging as motivation and the "you can do anything you set your mind to" speeches might be (no offense to anyone giving them), it would quite frankly suck a lot if a guy made close to 4.0s for 2 years and aced the SMP + made above a 30 on the MCAT for him to still not have a shot after all that time.
That hypothetical you described is not what Im talking about; that individual would probably get in. "Unredeemable" means that the student has yet to prove himself

Unredeemable implies can never be redeemed. Unredeemed would imply has yet to be redeemed. And Redemption is a powerful thing.

The question isnt a 4.0 or 2.0 making a good doctor. Rather one of the necessary parameters is showing proven academic ability to succeed in the rigorous educational environment that is medical school. One thing that applicants focus on is that single overall GPA number. Yet for many nontrads, that does not reflect what they are presently capable of as a much more mature individual . While adcoms are not automatons and can see the nuances of someone's record (as the AMCAS will layout year by year GPAs), it does take some work to show you have the ability and make a compelling case in the competitive applicant pool for acceptance or at least an interview. So having a good year or two of courses, even if they are repeats, and a good MCAT and enough distance and growth from your original work may be enough.
My bad, I read unredeemable as unredeemed for some reason. I agree with everything you said in the second paragraph. To answer OPs question I'll just say that not everyone has the innate "stuff" to excel in premed classes. Similar to the way I don't have the "stuff" to excel in upper division math classes.

That hypothetical you described is not what Im talking about; that individual would probably get in. "Unredeemable" means that the student has yet to prove himself

We're assuming those 2 years of 4.0s are in post bacc though, his undergrad career is already in ruins, he graduated with a poor GPA.

We're assuming those 2 years of 4.0s are in post bacc though, his undergrad career is already in ruins, he graduated with a poor GPA.
Yea I know. As Goro is fond of saying there are schools that believe in redemption.