Finishing family medicine residency...any advice for a 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm in my 3rd year of family medicine residency. My schedule is finally opening up and I feel like I'm getting my life back! I plan to go into primary care, likely private practice. Any advice from any other residency grads for things to do in my 3rd year to make the most of my last months of residency?

Or even any non-work things that you wish you had done when you were still a resident? I'm very big on work-life balance and am finally getting into hobbies again.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably should just enjoy it?

If you're going to be doing certain procedures/or have set up templates in an EMR, might want to transfer them so you can utilize them in your future practice.

If you already have a job waiting for you after graduation, congrats! If not...

Become familiar with the different payment methods for physicians, and learn about contract negotiation. Start asking around for a good lawyer familiar with physician contracts.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT put your name and contact info out there on physician job websites, you will be inundated with phone calls from recruiters offering you jobs that have nothing to do with the parameters you set. Do the search yourself. Family docs are super hot right now, you can find a job anywhere you want.

Most important of all, enjoy your last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Congrats! To see the finish line is a great feeling.

2. Start brushing up for boards.

3. Job if not already nailed down.

Don't use any recruiters. Look for jobs yourself it will take more time but you'll probably end up in a place you like more.
Decide on your priorities for work-life balance now and go into the job search with a definite idea about how much you want to work. Decide what kind of population you want to work with, and where you want to live. Always, always make decisions that are in the best interest of your life and your family.
I work part time, 30 hours per week. I have a spouse that works part time too. We have enough time for family and a life, for sure. But be careful, 30 hours of patient contact per week can still end up being around 40 hours of work, when you factor in meetings, charting, answering emails and covering my inbox. I do three 10 hour days per week, MWF and I'm quite happy with my decision. We also chose to live in a small town where housing costs are very reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user