Finishing in 5 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hyperlite

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I think i might have to go on the 4 1/2 or 5 year plan, do med schools care if you finish in 5 or 4 years?:confused:

Sharkfan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I second that.

Definitely... no.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to concur with what everyone else says, NO

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical schools evaluate the difficulty of your curriculum after the initial screening process. If you have taken fewer units per semester, your GPA will be seen as weaker than someone who took more units each semester and recieved the same GPA. However, if you are taking a normal number of units each semester then you should be fine.

BonBon Doux

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did undergrad in 5 years...they don't care if you finish in 3, 4, or 5 years.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No.

In fact, I hear from a lot of med students that they get pissed off a lot at the younger people in their classes. Immature, too goal-orientated, don't look at the bigger picture.. etc.

Bad Mojo

Cold as Ice
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For 4 1/2 or 5 years, are you talking about extending preclinical?From all the schools I looked out, fourth year has enough wiggle room that it doesn't seem like clinical would ever take over 2 years.

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about undergrad, seeing as this is pre-MD.

MaybeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
^LoL.

I'm glad someone posted a thread about this. I've been contemplating (sp?) doing the same thing. This would give me more time to get a minor or two, and an extra year for some extra curriculars. But the downside is the money, I go to a private school and that $hit costs some major dough. Just puttin in my 2 cents. :D