Finishing MS degree while starting Medical School at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thermodynamical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a friend of mine applied to MIT for a MS degree in ChemE last december and was accepted the first week of april this year and now he applied to several medical schools this cycle (he needed to do something for the gap year). Let's say he gets accepted to HMS this cycle. HMS MS I begins on August 19th next year and he will be finished with his MS degree (non thesis) on August 16th and will graduate approx. 12 days later. Is it possible for him to still attend medical school next year while finishing his degree?

Members don't see this ad.

So a friend of mine applied to MIT for a MS degree in ChemE last december and was accepted the first week of april this year and now he applied to several medical schools this cycle (he needed to do something for the gap year). Let's say he gets accepted to HMS this cycle. HMS MS I begins on August 19th next year and he will be finished with his MS degree (non thesis) on August 16th and will graduate approx. 12 days later. Is it possible for him to still attend medical school next year while finishing his degree?

if he finishes before the date of HMS matriculation I surmise he'd be okay.

And getting into HMS is a big IF

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, it is possible. I knew someone who finished his MS thesis a few weeks into his first year of medical school (however both were done at the same school though). As long as the non-thesis is not a super long paper which he/she has to defend in person, he/she should be fine.

if he finishes before the date of HMS matriculation I surmise he'd be okay.

And getting into HMS is a big IF

If he gets into MIT for engineering, its a smaller IF than most of us can imagine.