Finishing Psych Undergrad - Now What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dre281

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm about to start my last undergraduate semester as a Psych major.
I'm looking to ultimately become a licensed clinical psychologist after having obtained a Psy.D

But for now I am planning to take a gap year between graduation and grad school. My problem is that I am really trying to find a 1-year job opportunity (preferably in California) that has a main focus on clinical work/therapy, as opposed to something like a research coordinator/assistant job, and there doesn't seem to be any clear-cut/obvious path for me to take.

I've done two summers of research (separate programs) in New York City, and I know I want to go into clinical work.

Does anyone have any advice as to what job opportunities there are for Psych Majors that haven't enrolled in graduate school and that are more focused on the clinical side of Psychology. And if so, where should I start looking for said opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

Very few jobs would allow to do therapy work, if that's what you're asking about. However, you can be a psych tech, which would allow you to administer psychological assessments and possibly shadow someone doing therapy. You would get a better idea about the clinical responsibilities in psych.

I think it would be negligent to not ask, but since you only want to do therapy, have you considered being a psychiatric nurse or getting a master's in counseling? It's less expensive in time and money. Plus, you still can do therapy. Getting a psyd takes between 5-7 years and can saddle you with 100k in debt. I just wanted to throw the suggestion out there.

You're probably going to be looking at psych tech positions in hospitals or residential treatment settings. You may also look into applied behaivor analysis with children on the autism spectrum--that is typically done by bachelors-level techs. California is a state full of people with graduate degrees who do therapy for free to get hours. I wouldn't think there is any way you'd do anything remotely close to counseling or assessment with only a bachelors degree, and therefore no training.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're probably going to be looking at psych tech positions in hospitals or residential treatment settings. You may also look into applied behaivor analysis with children on the autism spectrum--that is typically done by bachelors-level techs. California is a state full of people with graduate degrees who do therapy for free to get hours. I wouldn't think there is any way you'd do anything remotely close to counseling or assessment with only a bachelors degree, and therefore no training.

I second this. In California, people with master's and doctoral degrees in clinical psychology are working unpaid in hospitals and clinics to get hours for licensure. If you want to live in California, its an uphill struggle to find a job even with a PsyD/PhD and its one of the most expensive parts of the country.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I guess I should've been a little bit clearer. I'm not looking for any clinical therapist level jobs. I understand that there are thousands of people more qualified than I am that are currently occupying most positions (I wouldn't be ready to dedicate another 4-7 years for a doctorate if this weren't the case).
Instead, my expectations were more centered around the Psych tech jobs that you all mentioned. I'm perfectly content doing the menial, low-paying work that probably accompanies this position as long as I'm exposed to some of the inner-workings of the clinical world.

Basically this job isn't so much for pure training as it is for keeping myself involved in the psych world and learning more about it as I prepare my applications for doctoral programs.

Psychstudent, in response to alternatives to a Psy.D program, I can't say I've considered too many other options, but I'm looking to join the Navy as a clinical psychologist, which requires a doctorate, and I'm willing to spend both the financial and temporal resources to do so.

Thanks for the input everyone!!

(Also, my push for California revolves mainly around the fact that I've lived on the East Coast and gone to school here my whole life, and I'm looking for some sunny weather/different atmosphere/fresh start)

California is probably the worst place to get a job in psychology right now.

(Also, my push for California revolves mainly around the fact that I've lived on the East Coast and gone to school here my whole life, and I'm looking for some sunny weather/different atmosphere/fresh start)

Definitely understandable, but with respect to psychology specifically, I'd suggest looking into other states that may offer some of what you're looking for while being less oversupplied with mental health practitioners.

As for entering the Navy, there are many threads on this site related to military service and psychology, so searching through some of those could get you some great information. There are certainly great options for those looking to enter active duty service, many of which would not require the $100k+ in student loans that would go along with most Psy.D. programs.

As for psych tech-type positions, you can always look into state-run developmental centers. It can be very rough and thankless work, but would get you a very good "insider's view" in that area of mental health. Case manager positions for the state's department of family/child services usually also only require a bachelor's, although I'm not sure if that's the case in CA. Beyond that, going the RA route is probably going to be your best bet.