Finishing undergrad early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexanGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here done that? I'm contemplating it. My university previously had a joint MD program with UTSW which would allow you to complete your BS in Biology in three years and then move on to SW, but the program has been discontinued because it proved too difficult for most students to complete. I was contemplating trying to finish my undergrad in three years.. but I'm trying to piece together how everything would work and it just seems really complicated.

Basically that means I'd take the MCATs... my sophomore year? And then apply during my "junior" year. Anyway, I'll sort it out, but I was just wondering if any of you wonderful people attempted to do this before, or am I just crazy? :laugh: I'd like to be a doctor before I have my first gray hair.

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible at most universities to finish a semester or a year early if you carefully schedule your classes and can handle the work load. Really the best reason to do it is to save money. I wouldn't worry too much about age. The average age for a student entering medical school in the US is 25...so unless you entered college really late, you shouldn't be in any rush.

It's possible at most universities to finish a semester or a year early if you carefully schedule your classes and can handle the work load. Really the best reason to do it is to save money. I wouldn't worry too much about age. The average age for a student entering medical school in the US is 25...so unless you entered college really late, you shouldn't be in any rush.

Very true, almost every one of my friends is graduating with a minimum of a semester's extra worth of credits. I chose not to graduate early because there were some really good classes I wanted to take and hadn't had time for (medical anthropology, global health, and some other public health classes). It's also been a great, no-stress senior year. The other thing to consider is that when applying to medical school, you're going to be missing a lot of class for interviews (especially if you're granted lots of interviews), so you wouldn't want to have that additional stress on top of biochem and an upper bio or something. If money is a big issue though, I'd say go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a very good point about missing classes... I hadn't thought of that. Ay.

It's definately a money issue, but with a primary focus on time. I know rushing things isn't the best way of getting things done, but I have some major personal reasons for my rush. I'd really like to get done as quickly as possible. Even if I took the solid four years of undergrad, I'd be 21 [hopefully] entering medical school... 22-23 being the average ages if I'm not mistaken. Eh. I need to have a major conversation with my advisor!

I graduated in 2 years, it was not worth it. I could have done alot better in my classes had I spent 4 years, and this year reapplying one school stated they had doubts about me because I rushed through college so fast. If you have a choice, I say take 4 years, take it slow and do well.

That's a very good point about missing classes... I hadn't thought of that. Ay.

It's definately a money issue, but with a primary focus on time. I know rushing things isn't the best way of getting things done, but I have some major personal reasons for my rush. I'd really like to get done as quickly as possible. Even if I took the solid four years of undergrad, I'd be 21 [hopefully] entering medical school... 22-23 being the average ages if I'm not mistaken. Eh. I need to have a major conversation with my advisor!

I found a statistic listed by the Princeton Review in 2005 saying the average age for entering medical students was 23-26 depending on the school. So you'd still be at the bottom of the curve if you entered between 21-23. But if you're ready for it, go at your own pace. Just remember a majority of people do 4yrs in college, a good number of those take time off between college and med school, and there's many who go to med school after pursuing other careers and degrees. You're not going to be "behind" if you go to med school at the age of 21.

I am in a 7 yr BS/MD program at Miami offered to college sophomores. I am graduating in a few months. I came into college with a lot of AP/IB credit and took summer school however. If you feel like you are ready and you can do it within reason, then go for it. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

I knew people who graduated early. Do it if you won't be too overloaded with courses. Remember that med school is pretty intense so don't burn yourself out trying to save a year.

I graduated in three years with a BS in Bio and a BA in Chem, it wasn't too bad. I was averaging 20 credit hours except for my last semster where I only had 12. During my last semster I had so much free time I didn't know what to do with myself.

I thought that graduating in three years would help my application, but the more I talk to people it doesn't seem to really wow admission boards. I didn't get in but it was probably because of my mcat, 23, even though my cum GPA was 3.94. I hoping to have better luck this up coming with a 32 mcat. Good luck.

I graduated in three years with a BS in Bio and a BA in Chem, it wasn't too bad. I was averaging 20 credit hours except for my last semster where I only had 12. During my last semster I had so much free time I didn't know what to do with myself.

I thought that graduating in three years would help my application, but the more I talk to people it doesn't seem to really wow admission boards. I didn't get in but it was probably because of my mcat, 23, even though my cum GPA was 3.94. I hoping to have better luck this up coming with a 32 mcat. Good luck.

Wow, props on the 9 point increase. What happenned the first time?

I graduated in 3.5 years. But I'm takinga year and a half before med school. The semester early was a money thing. Don't rush it, you're in no hurry. Med schools like to see maturity.

Last edited:
I'll be graduating a year early with a semester extra of classes. Of my 4 semesters so far, my workload has been: 12, 17, 15, 18 (15 regular semester and 3 interim). Next semester I'm looking at 13, and I'll need to finish one class for my major and one class for my minor next spring in order to graduate.

If accepted next year, I'll be 20 when I matriculate.

Do it if you want to, just don't pile on so many classes that you're stressed out all the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be graduating a year early with a semester extra of classes. Of my 4 semesters so far, my workload has been: 12, 17, 15, 18 (15 regular semester and 3 interim). Next semester I'm looking at 13, and I'll need to finish one class for my major and one class for my minor next spring in order to graduate.

Do it if you want to, just don't pile on so many classes that you're stressed out all the time.

How many credit hours do you have to have to graduate at your school?? It seems like you wouldn't have enough hours to graduate..

Wow, props on the 9 point increase. What happenned the first time?

I just took the test blind pretty much, didn't study. I figured it can't be that hard based on my high gpa and even if I didn't do great my gpa would make up for it and all. My premed advisor was not very useful and didn't even tell me when to sign up and such. I guess I was not very informed about the whole application process or MCAT.

Thank you all so much for all the input. I highly regard all of your opinions :)

I don't see why graduating early would/can negatively impact an application. I know for a fact that it takes a lot of dedication and sacrifice to do so... and if you have an AWESOME GPA then it shouldn't matter at all... right? I know college is great... but I'm not exactly going to the best undergraduate school right now. My hopes were set on Columbia, but my parents encouraged me to stay close for cheaper tuition.... that's why I would love to leave ASAP. The science programs here are amazing... but it's just a really huge commuter school that seems more like high school than college. That's why I want to go to a (hopefully) top medical school... because I definately feel like I've been jipped out of a normal college experience.

I'll finish early (crosses fingers) not because I am cramming classes in to each term or quarter, but because I don't take summers off. I hope to take it up a notch at least one-two terms. I say take it easy on work load if possible, what a huge mistake it would be for me to take more the 14 credits at a time! I'd die, while working anyway.

Awesome, aspiration MD! :luck: Best of luck with everything!!

Has anyone here done that? I'm contemplating it. My university previously had a joint MD program with UTSW which would allow you to complete your BS in Biology in three years and then move on to SW, but the program has been discontinued because it proved too difficult for most students to complete. I was contemplating trying to finish my undergrad in three years.. but I'm trying to piece together how everything would work and it just seems really complicated.

Basically that means I'd take the MCATs... my sophomore year? And then apply during my "junior" year. Anyway, I'll sort it out, but I was just wondering if any of you wonderful people attempted to do this before, or am I just crazy? :laugh: I'd like to be a doctor before I have my first gray hair.

Not crazy i finished undergrad in 3 years at UCLA... though i did it with more units and summer school not through any established program

I took about 19-24 units every quarter plus about 16-20 units over summer... graduated with 256 units and two majors

I will be matriculating in august at the age of 20, after a year off

I wasn't trying to graduating early, i just get bored if i have nothing to do and prefer to have more classess... Don't do it just to get ahead and stress yourself out, but if you can easily save urself a year without going too much out of the way, why not?

Wow, that's extreme. What two majors dare you graduating with?

Dont do it. You gets points off for being younger than most everyone else, and you get to go to college once in your lifetime. You might as well take full advantage of that while you can unless you have no friends and hate it or something.

I've never had anyone take points off for being younger (19 at all my interviews) in fact when i mentioned it all my interviewers said it was no big deal, and one said, that it was great that i was able to save a year here and there and that it showed how dedicated i was to go to medical school..

I will be graduating UCSD in 3 years this summer. I came in with a few AP credits and took one summer's worth of courses. Not once did graduating early or my age come up at the interviews I went to. Although I think I would have done a couple of points better on the MCAT, I am happy with my decision to graduate early.

I'd like to be a doctor before I have my first gray hair.

I think that a semester's worth of neurosciences will whiten a hair or two regardless of age.

:luck:

Anjl, give me a nice shot of your midsection. I'll make you my next avatar. ;)

Haha Critical Mass... I guess that statement is impossible to achieve, huh?

I graduated in 3 with a bio degree and pretty much did it becuase it wouldnt make my schdule much harder and figured why not. i will be matriculating at 20, but it was kind of a bitch when i look back at it. last semester was killer with secondaries, classes, and just hanging out. Overall, defintly doable and you're not going to get rejected just because you graduated in 3 like alot of poeple say. so if there is a money issue and you wouldn't mind a change of scenery go for it. Goodluck