firecracker fact check: immuno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickfeet

Smooth Operator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Patients with IgA deficiency commonly present with:
1. Infections, especially those involving mucosal surfaces — e.g., URIs (upper respiratory tract infections)
2. Anaphylactic reactions to transfused blood containing IgA (because their immune system perceives IgA in the transfused blood as “foreign” → produce anti-IgA antibodies (IgG) which attack the transfused IgA) ∴ patients with IgA deficiency should receive blood transfusions with blood that lacks IgA (e.g., blood from patients who are also IgA deficient)
3. Diarrhea
4. Milk allergies"

^^ My question is, how could it be an "Anaphylactic reaction" if its IgG mediated? This seems more like Type II hypersensitivity or am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems wrong to me. Who cares what thread it is posted in? Much easier to find in searches if separate threads for one, and for two, its much more organized to have individual test topic discussions under a separate thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
in igA defiency i believe your IgE production gets upregulated bc it cant make igA. So because of the high numbers of igE, with the large numbers of foreign ag you get the anaphylaxis. Could be wrong though, havent read immuno in a while

Seems wrong to me. Who cares what thread it is posted in? Much easier to find in searches if separate threads for one, and for two, its much more organized to have individual test topic discussions under a separate thread.
It's annoying as ****. BTW, weren't you the one bashing FC a few weeks ago?