First acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a notice of acceptance from SLU today, so no matter what happens at least I got in somewhere!

Anybody else heard from them yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I got waitlisted. Little bit dissapointed.

Congratulations!! Yeah! Although it's no surprise, it's still nice to know about your 1st of many acceptances to come. Enjoy! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor,

I have a feeling this is going to be the first of many...congratulations!!
:)

That's great baylor21! Congratulations!

I wondered where you'd gotten to lately. Guess you've been studying or something?

Those of us in TX won't be hearing anything for a while (unless Baylor adcoms change their mind and call me).

Good luck and I hope there are more to come for you!

It's about time! (just kidding) That's wonderful, I bet you are relived.

Congrats Baylor! Doesn't it feel great? I got the same thing from UIC. Even though it's probably not the top choice it still takes a real load off. I think it'll make these upcoming interviews a little lower stress.

Later,

Adam

Thanks for the nice comments everybody. I've been to 3 schools in the last 2 weeks, so now I'm playing catchup with school work, also trying to decide if I should decline some of my other MD interviews.

Has Baylor started accepting people yet? I'm expecting a reject notice from them any day now, since I havent heard anything from them. Good luck spacecadet.

congrats to baylor! When did you interview? I interviewed there last week, and am anxiously awaiting a decision.

Baylor21: Did you interview at SLU on September 18?

Originally posted by DocJ:
•Baylor21: Did you interview at SLU on September 18?•

Yeah I think thats right. I was there with Scooby and Jalbrekt.

congrats! to the person who got waitlisted, don't worry; I was waitlisted too after an April interview and got pulled off the waitlist in mid-July. Ended up not going to SLU but thought it was a great school with friendly people! good luck!

Baylor21: I met you there, too. Do you remember? I'm the one whose wife is from Oklahoma City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Way to go, Baylor21! I have been reading your posts for a while so I am really excited that you got the ins at SLU!!! I'm sure they're the first of several to come a'knockin' :D

Yes, Baylor is accepting, a friend of mine got in and is going. (4.0, 36..freak of nature!)

•Baylor21: I met you there, too. Do you remember? I'm the one whose wife is from Oklahoma City.•

Yeah, definitely. Your wife is the daughter of a certain powerful person in Oklahoma if I remember correctly?

What other schools are you looking at?

It's interesting because me and Scoob were the only people we know who interviewed that night (out of maybe 7 people) who were waitlisted. The person who interviewed us was pretty sick, so that might have had something to do with it.
As to Baylor, I doubt most of us will hear from them until Mrach or so. But you should get a call from them sometime soon if I remember your stats Baylor21. (soon means within a month or 3. A little bit of a guess on my part)

Hey congrats baylor21! I got an acceptance to SLU too. Wow, this is kind of a cool reunion of interviewees thing -- I was at your interview too - on Sept. 18th! DocJ, I think I was sitting next to you for a while in the waiting room - to your right - (I'm the guy from Northwestern).

On Baylor - I didn't apply there but I have a friend who interviewed a while ago (I think he interviewed early b/c he was in the summer research "SMART" program there) - and he got accepted on 10/15.

To scoobs and jalbrekt - sorry to hear the waitlist, but you guys prob don't need to worry bout it - there are other schools...plus like Katie said, even if it came down to SLU -- considering you were interviewed so early you might have a decent chance on the waitlist...anyway hopefully it won't even come down to that.

Good Luck to all!

Hey ya'll... I also interviewed on September 18 and got my acceptance letter last Sat. Congrats to everyone!

I remember you, catcher. Congrats on the acceptance!

Baylor: I'm on the alternate list at U Chicago and Vanderbilt. I'm hoping to get in to Texas Southwestern and Baylor. I interviewed at Baylor last week and Southwestern the week before.. I applied OU MD/PhD, also. I don't really know too much about the OUHSC, though. Is the med school any good? My father-in-law of course wants me to go there. Then there's the U of Utah, of course. It is extremely competitive to get in there, though. Utah doesn't even consider GPA or MCAT once you're chosen for an interview, and only 1 in 6 interviewees gets accepted.

Maybe we'll all end up at SLU, though. To be honest, SLU isn't at the top of my list (although I'm VERY glad for the acceptance.)

One of my friends from BYU was accepted to SLU and isn't even going to hold his place in the class because he was also accepted at UVA and OSU.

Scoob and Jalbrekt: You'll get in off the wait list. :) I agree it sucks to be wait-listed, though.

all y'all that got slu accepts: how are your stats and extracurriculars? I am waiting on a decision from there (interviewed last week), and would appreciate some landmarks. It's also cool if you don't want to post your stats. I'll understand. Thanks

I got an acceptance from SLU last Saturday. I am stoked now, but I heard the news while in the hospital from a car wreck, so it didn't really hit me(no pun intended) until about a day ago.

For those of you who read the "Strange Day" post, my friend will be having a discectomy and fusion of his 5th and 6th vertebrae on Saturday. He'll be fine though (thank God!).

Oh, one more thing...Kiaser sucks. My friend's been transferred twice since Saturday. Now he's in a Kaiser over an hour and a half from home. Worse of all, he could have been home on Tuesday if they did the surgery when they were suppossed to. Today's his birthday. Still feels lucky to be alive though (as do I).

•Baylor: I'm on the alternate list at U Chicago and Vanderbilt. I applied OU MD/PhD, also. I don't really know too much about the OUHSC, though. Is the med school any good? My father-in-law of course wants me to go there. Maybe we'll all end up at SLU, though. To be honest, SLU isn't at the top of my list (although I'm VERY glad for the acceptance.)

When did you hear from Vanderbilt and when was your interview? I was there on 9/25 but havent heard anything from them yet.

I thought about applying OU MD/PhD but they dont have the kinds of research that I'm looking to pursue. When I was at Yale, the MD/PhD director said he was down there awhile back, assisting them in their quest to get MSTP status or something related to funding. He didnt say anything about the quality of their program though.

I am applying OU for regular MD though, mainly as a backup. If I get into any MD/PhD, then obviously I'm going to take that but if I get rejected from all of them then I just might go to OU. The reason I say that is really because its been tough living far away from home and it would be nice to be close to my family for med school.

Have you heard anything from OU yet? I got the letter from them asking for money and letters of rec and sent those in but havent heard anything else yet. I think the letter said they would start interviewing in November, but I'm not sure about that. They were a little odd because they require one letter in ADDITION to a premed committee letter, so I used one of my research letters designed primarily for MD/PhD schools. I hope it doesnt make me look too much like a research geek, especially since I'm only applying normal MD to OU.

got the acceptance letter from Emory today. still in shock. cant wait to drink some margaritas tonight in celebration. and oh yeah, scoob is visiting me tonight ;).

My stats (I'm the SLU class of 2001 waitlist acceptance but now attend Tufts) were 3.6 undergrad GPA from Maryland, 4.0 grad, 29 MCAT. I had extensive community service experience, some hospital volunteer work/doctor shadowing, was a hospice volunteer, did immunology research for a department chair at Maryland med (which never took me off the waitlist)for 2 summers. Also was an undergrad cell Bio TA and had great letters of recommendation across the board (my interviewer at Penn State told me my letters were good). I was a reapplicant and applied early. Am 24 years old and a white female from Maryland. Hope this helps. I think my case goes to show that med schools appreciate persistence and do look at things other than MCAT and GPA. good luck!

Allow me to confer my belated congratulations, baylor :D

You are in a truly enviable position, nice work!