First Aid 2012 Error on Spleen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the immunology section on pg. 223, it says splenic dysfunction = decreased IgM->decreased complement activation->decrease C3b opsonization->increased susceptibility to encapsulated bacteria.

I remember Goljan saying the splenic macrophages bind up IgG and C3b (extravascular hemolysis) while IgM in the blood causes intravascular hemolysis. Don't recall anything IgM-related to the spleen. I assumed this same mechanism accounted for why encapsulated bacteria clearance depends on the spleen. The capsule is tagged by IgG or C3b and then picked up by the splenic macrophages? I also recall in my school classes that the reason asplenic pts are susceptible to encap bacteria is because the capsule is only sensitive to IgG2 (special kind of IgG I guess) which is only made by the spleen. That was the explanation by my immunology teacher.

So, basically, I've heard different explanations on this. Which one is correct?

Members don't see this ad.

According to Kaplan qbank: splenectomized patients can have decreased IgG2 and decreased IgM because the splenic lymphocytes are the major producers of these antibodies. So everyone is right.

Pentameric IgM-Ag is more potent at activating C1 esterase than IgG-Ag.

Furthermore, encapsulated bacteria with high LPS coats activate T-independent B responses which will only produce IgM.

Last edited:
In lymphoid tissue disorders, Goljan states that splenic disfx results in decreased igM because the spleen is a major site for IgM synthesis