first aid 2014 vs organ systems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmd1015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the difference between the regular first aid 2014, and the organ systems first aid?

Members don't see this ad.

The First Aid for USMLE Step 1 is the review book for the exam. The organ systems I think is more of a supplemental resources to accompany class like BRS or High Yield.

I see, but first aid is pretty bare, does it contain the same info as first aid 2014 + more, or is it totally different?

FA Basic Sciences & the FA Organ Systems are review books.
FA 2014 is the review book of those two review books.

Members don't see this ad :)
People who feel that FA is too much of a skeleton can turn to the BS and OS texts for additional explanation/detail.

BS/OS are probably good texts to use during first-year if you can read quickly and want to gain foundation. But for the actual Step1, just read normal FA.

i see, so if i read both i wouldnt have to read FA 2014? does it have the mneomics and all?
NO, you still have to read it since it gets updated every year.
All FA Basic Sciences & the FA Organ Systems do is to make you understand FA 2014 better.

honestly FA is TOO much of a skeleton lol but adding more info would make the books efficiency go down, thanks guys, great help.

FA for USMLE is a skeleton because it's designed to be used concurrently with class or after you've done most of your preclinical curriculum. It's supposed to organize the information you've already learned and jog your memory. It's not designed to be a stand alone book or a primary learning resource.

You do FA as a reminder for the things you forgot or haven't gone through yet. Put notes in it from uworld and pathoma for understanding
It's already a huge book without adding more details