First Aid Anterior Spinal Artery Lesions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So First Aid and their errata are really messing with my head.

In the 2012 edition on page 444, it says that an ASA lesion will affect the Lateral Corticospinal Tract, the Medial Leminiscus and the Caudal Medulla (Hypoglossal Nerve). Now the problem is twofolds:

1) In the corresponding entry for the Lateral Corticospinal Tract, it says there is hemiparesis in the contralateral lower limbs. Why would it be only the lower limbs and not the upper limbs as well?

2) For the Medial Leminiscus it says there will be a decrease in proprioception on the contralateral side, which is fine and dandy cause this is after the decussation of the Dorsal Column. However, in their errata it shows the following:
iWF04.png

Now I'm not sure if they're trying to screw with us or what, but first of all, an ASA lesion at the level of the medulla (Medial Medullary Syndrome) would involve the Medial Leminiscus at least according to Wiki and common sense given that the Medial leminiscus moves laterally. Second of all, why would they say to properly align the columns only to tell us to remove the original entry?

To me that just seems like they just added the 2nd entry to the Errata without actually checking the first entry, not to mention that it looks like that 2nd entry is wrong.

Any thoughts/help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

According to Kaplan (and what I recall from neurology), ASA infarcts result in loss of everything bilaterally at the level and below the lesion, except for DC.