First Aid Cases for the USMLE Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used this book before or have any comments. I did a search and got nothing, but this is a relatively new book. I love the Case Files series so I thought this would be a good book. Also, I detest books with nothing but charts and graphs. right>left brain

I'm going to check amazon real quick to see what people have rated it.:hungover:

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody used this book before or have any comments. I did a search and got nothing, but this is a relatively new book. I love the Case Files series so I thought this would be a good book. Also, I detest books with nothing but charts and graphs. right>left brain

I'm going to check amazon real quick to see what people have rated it.:hungover:

I picked up this book from the bookstore as well. Flipped through it and thought it was a good supplement to FA. I'm planning on using it during my Step II CK prep but that won't be for a few months actually.

I'd love to hear what recent test takers have to say about it.

Well, I could not find any reviews of this book, and I guess people here haven't used it. :(

Funny you mention that book. I took my step II CK a couple weeks ago and happened to be in the bookstore and saw the book after the fact. Flipped through the book and at least in my case on my step II there were very similar cases as the FA book. In hindsight if I was aware of the book I would have picked it up and read through it before taking the exam. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, any new developments or any fresh opinions on this book! Is it worth putting $ into.

A friend of mine said he looked through it and chose not to buy it as he thought it was mediocre. He said it's laid out as solid text without indication of what the key points are in the case and without specific questions that are asked and answered along the way. He was a bit skeptical about purchasing the 1st edition; understandably so.
That said, I'd probably still buy it if I were prepping at this time as I like the FA series in general and think this might compliment FA for CK in a nice way. It might be tough to get a used copy, but you could consider that. If not, you might be able to sell it once you're done with it and recover some of the cost. I see some mildly used copies on Amazon starting at $25; hard to go wrong at that price!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...3923897-7297406?ie=UTF8&qid=1178569357&sr=8-3

I am taking CK in 3 days and now I think I know how I should have studied!

I would not buy any case-based book. I loved Case Files for all rotations, but it is not the right format for CK study. If you are going to do cases, you should be spending your time on computer-based questions so the format becomes very very familiar. All of the question banks including USMLE World, USMLESteps123, etc. have explanations to help you learn the underlying material.

I'll have a more informed opinion when I get done with the little beast.

I've been studying for Step II for a few weeks now. I bought the FA cases book thinking it would be a good review for each subject after I studied them in FA and UW, but I found the book to be pretty much useless. There is hardly ANY extra information that isn't already in regular FA. The question STEMS are almost as long as the answers. the cases are relatively obvious if you have read through regular FA at all. and it isn't as complete as the regular FA, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it instead of the regular FA. the internal medicine case files book on the other hand is great.