First Aid for the Comlex - OMM Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolisticMed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used First Aid for the Comlex - An Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Review?

I have heard alot of people poo pooing it but is that just because people are still stuck in there "savarese ways" and dont want to change or is it just really not a good book for the comlex.

The book is supposedly "written by OMM fellows who aced the OMM portion of the comlex".

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is a great adjunct to Savarese. But I would not rely on it alone. You MUST read Savarese once cover to cover (take that with a grain of salt I take my test on Sat.!) That is what I've heard. There are some great mnemonics in there (kind of like regular first aid) and I don't know about you but that is the only way I remember this insane amt. of material for Step one

BMW-

Has anybody used First Aid for the Comlex - An Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Review?

I have heard alot of people poo pooing it but is that just because people are still stuck in there "savarese ways" and dont want to change or is it just really not a good book for the comlex.

The book is supposedly "written by OMM fellows who aced the OMM portion of the comlex".

Thanks everyone!

BMW19,

Thanks for the reply. My test is coming up fast and I need to know the best way for me to learn OMM for the exam. What is it exactly that the first aid comlex book leaves out? Savarese isnt exactly the smallest book and time is running out. Thanks for the help and good luck. :thumbup::thumbup:

That book is horrid.
It was poorly written by Chicago fellows. Chicago is not necessary known for high omm board scores.

Kaplan is riddled with mistakes and equally as awful.

Savarse might be the best option if you have a crappy omm dept.

Members don't see this ad :)
I flipped through this the other day- it seems fairly succinct and well organized- but I can't comment on the accuracy of the info. A few things I liked were the pictures/illustrations especially of the anatomy and some of the OMT techniques.

The green book is a good review and I think it even might be a bit of overkill. My COMLEX experience had a lot of basic, fundamental concepts and a lot a lot of segmental innervation for sympathetics/parasympathetics. Of course there were 3-4 very screwy questions, and I am personally not a fan of sacral diagnosis so the 2-3 of those were tough for me.

Wow you must have had a REALLY bad experience with it or something. Horrid is a strong word. I doubt the publishers of First Aid would put out something horrid, considering their book is the gold standard for Step I USMLE.

The book is ok. As I said to the OP it is a good ADJUNCT to savarese not a replacement. Once you have solidified the concepts in Savarese, it has some nice mneumonics to help you remember them. Can't comment on the mistakes, it is a new book.

BMW-

That book is horrid.
It was poorly written by Chicago fellows. Chicago is not necessary known for high omm board scores.

Kaplan is riddled with mistakes and equally as awful.

Savarse might be the best option if you have a crappy omm dept.