First Aid for the (NBDE vs. USMLE)?

Discussion in 'NBDE Exams & Licensure Exams' started by TX Hopeful, Jun 1, 2008.

1. TX Hopeful

TX Hopeful Senior Member

Does anybody have any feedback on which is a better resource for the NBDE Part 1 (First Aid for the NBDE or the one for the USMLE)? I've heard that the First Aid for the USMLE is more thorough, and it has also been around longer so there aren't as many mistakes, etc.

If anybody has looked at or used both in their preparation, can you please provide some insight? I'm trying to figure out which one to use.

Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. docden

Dentist
    can u pls tell me whr can i get first aid for NBDE....

4. Vejaeju

Dentist
    I studied from both. USMLE has cool mnemonics, but the content of the book is not the same of the NBDE test. You can take some advantage of the Biochemistry and Embriology sections, but gross Anatomy/Physiology is combined and divided by systems, which is not my favorite way of studying it (Circulatory system, Respiratory system, etc.), plus it doens't have Dental Anatomy and Occlusion. I liked the First Aid for the NBDE because the topics were presented in a more organized way (at least to me) and it had the content necessary for the NBDE. After my test I went back to it (I had the book in the car with me) and I found the answer for a lot of the questions! I guess I took advantage of both books. If I had to pick only one, I would pick First Aid for the NBDE.

5. Vejaeju

Dentist
    I got the NBDE one from Amazon and the USMLE one from Ebay.

6. chinnu96

chinnu96 Junior Member

Dental Student
    hi ive it if u want..pl pm me..

7. Typo

I took a glance at First Aid for the NBDE last year. It looked like the dental decks redux: a bunch of information listed off for your memorization pleasure. Maybe it's useful, though. First Aid for the USMLE was a huge help because it places a huge focus on mnemonics that you probably won't find elsewhere. Yeah, it has a lot of extra info you don't need, but if you don't study at least the microbiology section out of the USMLE book you'll be missing out.