First Aid Help Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warrior411

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone implemented first aid and studying throughout the first year?

for example, in genetics i do not believe i have to memorize all the diseases on page 118 (X linked recessive disorders has about 10 diseases...should i be studying this?)

also, FA mentions diseases like Friedreich Ataxia but does not go into detail...are we suppose to know anymore about the disease other than it is a trinucleotide repeat disorder?

My school is not focused on step 1...i mean there is a lot of overlap but we skip some biochemistry and genetics for the most part.

just needed some advice as I go. this is the only book I have any recommendations would be great.

a) for first year, focus on your coursework, annotating FA/board review resources as you go.
b) you should know them for the boards.
c) FA is only an outline. I.E. for example, you should know the features associated w/ friedrichs ataxia (ex: cardiomegaly, GAA trinucleotide repeat disorder, autosomal recessive), all of which are not mentioned in FA.

My school is not focused on step 1...i mean there is a lot of overlap but we skip some biochemistry and genetics for the most part.

You will have to be proactive and cover material not covered in school, as they will show up on the boards and are fair game. FA is a good indicator of an outline of what you need to know, but it is not all inclusive by any means. You will have to use other board review resources (or information from your coursework) to get the details where FA is lacking.

for example, in genetics i do not believe i have to memorize all the diseases on page 118 (X linked recessive disorders has about 10 diseases...should i be studying this?)

The further you go in your coursework, the more you will realize how relevant the information in FA is. For the most part, everything in FA is known by good internist (though there are a few esoteric details). I think that reviewing the information in FA is good in the first two years because it gets you familiar with the high points of any topic, but you can probably skip the full-on memorization until your run-up to Step I (unless you're hardcore; then you can start memorizing now). When you sit down a couple months out from the boards, that list of X-linked recessive disorders won't seem so foreign.