First Aid (Organ systems and General Principles)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preintel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is FA Organ systems and General Principles two good books to buy to supplement FA? Reading reviews there seem to be some users of it complaining of errors on the 2nd edition but there does not seem to be any newer editions.

Or is there another 'comprehensive' type book I can use to work with FA... in the back of FA it recommends USMLE secrets but have not heard of many people using that. I have heard of people using Step Up to Medicine and Cracking the USMLE (Kaplan). Any other books you can suggest please let me know even if it is not comprehensive.

Thanks,
preintel

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only using General Principles right now to supplement and it definitely fills some gaps in for me, particularly in biochem and immuno. I "enjoy" that it is an easier read than most textbooks. Bottom line, it helped me with concepts and that's what I use on exams.

I'm only using General Principles right now to supplement and it definitely fills some gaps in for me, particularly in biochem and immuno. I "enjoy" that it is an easier read than most textbooks. Bottom line, it helped me with concepts and that's what I use on exams.

How do you have a faculty badge if you're a medical student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people in my class use FA Organ Systems. I few use Crush Step 1 and we're given a "free" copy of USMLE secrets so a decent number use that.

How do you have a faculty badge if you're a medical student?

Would like to keep thread on topic but I'm faculty (PhD faculty) for a military training organization.

Edit: clarification

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like to keep thread on topic but I'm faculty for a military training organization.

Gotcha, sorry for derailing.

The only book I've used listed in the original post is Step Up to Medicine, but I used it (and am still using it) for my medicine rotation. I don't think it's worth reading for step 1. It's probably worth reading during 3rd year, but it's very detailed.

Gotcha, sorry for derailing.

The only book I've used listed in the original post is Step Up to Medicine, but I used it (and am still using it) for my medicine rotation. I don't think it's worth reading for step 1. It's probably worth reading during 3rd year, but it's very detailed.

No problem! I am a newer member (only been around here for a year) so I didn't want to be a reason the thread got locked up. Did the teaching thing for the military prior to medical school and I continue to teach during breaks/weekends/etc. when the schedule permits.

Reactions: 1 user
Bought FA Organ Systems because one of our professors was not the best at teaching GI physiology. Loved that chapter, but some chapters are written better than others.