First Aid success stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madb0x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

I recently started school and bought the first aid book before starting. I was wondering if anyone could share some tips or experience on how they used the books during years 1 and 2 prior to actual step 1 study time.

It's only been like one week lol but so far I read over what topics we've covered in that week in the book. I've also added some post its with additional information since I've heard the first aid is just condensed? Id love some tips on how to approach this dang book lol

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Bought it prior to 1st year, tried incorporating it into studying along with lecture, realized it was a waste of time, put it on a shelf and let it collect dust, ordered the most recent edition January of the year I took Step 1.

Reactions: 4 users
If your school has a traditional 2 year curriculum, I really would not worry about first aid until 2nd year.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If your school has a traditional 2 year curriculum, I really would not worry about first aid until 2nd year.
It is a 2 year curriculum! Thanks for the input! Did you use any review book during year 1 like the BRS books?

Dont learn from review books. Learn from class and other things then review the review book and reinforce the important parts of your new knowledge.

FA is a book of end points with no explanation.

Reactions: 2 users
It is a 2 year curriculum! Thanks for the input! Did you use any review book during year 1 like the BRS books?

Nope, no review books 1st year. Just focus on learning the material and getting a good understanding of what's going on since 2nd year builds upon that. Pace yourself 1st year as most of the stuff is honestly not that relevant/high yield/can easy be reviewed for step. Once 2nd year hits, review first aid, pathoma, and UW along with your classes if you can and you'll be golden.

Reactions: 1 user
I use FA for the mnemonics, but it's not a primary learning source.

Reactions: 1 users
Dont learn from review books. Learn from class and other things then review the review book and reinforce the important parts of your new knowledge.
I kind of disagree, but I think it depends on the topic and how it's taught at different schools. Outside of cardiac and resp the phys lectures at my school were awful. I eventually quit watching them or even going over the notes and just used Skinny Linda and occasionally Fat Linda if I needed a more detailed explanation and had no problems on exams, plus I learned how to calculate stuff like GFR, RPF, renal clearance, etc. - all of which is fair game on Step and none of which were ever taught in lecture at my school for some bizarre reason. Similar issue with embryology as well.

Last edited:
I kind of disagree, but I think it depends on the topic and how it's taught at different schools. Outside of cardiac and resp the phys lectures at my school were awful. I eventually quit watching them or even going over the notes and just used Skinny Linda and occasionally Fat Linda if I needed a more detailed explanation and had no problems on exams, plus I learned how to calculate stuff like GFR, RPF, renal clearance, etc. - all of which is fair game on Step and none of which was ever taught in lecture at my school for some bizarre reason. Similar issue with embryology as well.

I would count something like Costanza as a textbook that is good to learn from. It's not a hardcore physiology book but not a distilled review like BRS or FA.

When lecture wasn't clear I supplemented my physio with Costanza, path with Robbins, and pharm with Katzung.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
In first year I did not touch FA until my first end-of-semester NBME. It is a review source, not a learning source.

In second year, as I did Kaplan and UWORLD Qbanks I would review my weakest sections by using FA. I also outlined UW questions I missed into it.

One thing worth noting is that I never sat down and read FA whole. This would have fried my brain. I took it one section at a time (each section separated by dividers in a binder) and ended up reading all sections 3+ times.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've only been in med school for a month, but every upperclassman recommended getting First Aid right away. We have the shortened curriculum.

So far it's only been helpful to quickly look up equations rather than sifting through textbook pages and some really quick review when I have 30mins between things

Reactions: 1 users
Studied for class - started reading FA during designated study time and did 3 passes (with one exception - I studied FA for my Psych block). Did very well. FA is more for reviewing what you have already learned in class. That being said, I bet there are people who started looking at it much earlier and did well too. Honestly I found Pathoma to be a little better for using it during the school year to supplement Pathology.