First author publication - how much does it really help for residency apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nets445

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that my summer research after M1 year is getting published in an IF=4 journal and that I am first author. However, my career aspirations have gone a complete 180 and I am very dead set on a field that is completely unrelated to the field my paper is in. My question is how much of a help would my first author publication be when I apply to my desired field?

Edit: I should also note that my research is in basic science (not clinical) and that it took a little over a year to finally get the paper out

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are sources out there that rank importance of certain aspects of your file for each specialty. Will it look good, sure. But if your clinical grades, step scores, or LOR's suck then it means nothing. It also depends on the individual program. It is hard to say how much it will truly affect you but overall it will be a positive

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

As has been echoed hundreds of times

Buying program a new wing for chosen specialty > Research in the field > Research in another field > No research

Reactions: 1 users