MD "first author publication" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatefeather

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently read this email from the neurosurgery department in my school regarding the upcoming residency interview. The email contains a little summary of all the interviewees. The summary also lists each interviewee's total number of publication and total number of first author publication. I understand it varies from school to school, but generally when they list publication like this, does the "first author publication" also include abstracts/posters/presentation, or is it strictly paper? As a follow-up question, if it does include presentation, does presentation at a university-level conference count, for example a med student summer research symposium?

Hope someone who has sat on a selection committee can share some thoughts. I understand ultimately you have to look at what their publication really is, but just on paper/application, what can be included in the "first-author publication" section? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently read this email from the neurosurgery department in my school regarding the upcoming residency interview. The email contains a little summary of all the interviewees. The summary also lists each interviewee's total number of publication and total number of first author publication. I understand it varies from school to school, but generally when they list publication like this, does the "first author publication" also include abstracts/posters/presentation, or is it strictly paper? As a follow-up question, if it does include presentation, does presentation at a university-level conference count, for example a med student summer research symposium?

Hope someone who has sat on a selection committee can share some thoughts. I understand ultimately you have to look at what their publication really is, but just on paper/application, what can be included in the "first-author publication" section? Thank you.
Assuming they are just pulling the data from ERAS, it is first author anything. Basic science nature paper, chart review, case report in predatory journal, oral presentation at internationally famous conference, poster presentation at your med school's student research day that literally every submission is accepted, etc are all "one first author publication."

If it's a manually created database, then it is papers in peer reviewed journals only.

Reactions: 2 users