First Batch/Second Batch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duffgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just submitted my AMCAS primary (7/28) and by the dates posted on the verification thread, it looks like it'll be verified in late August. Does this count as first or second batch? If my numbers are fairly good (MCAT 37, GPA 3.74, went to an Ivy) and I get my secondaries in very quickly, will I be at a big disadvantage? I'm shooting for top 10/top 20 schools, if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, not a chance. You should probably go find a box for rent and plan on living in it the rest of your life b/c if you turn in your app so late w/ only "fairly good" stats like 3.74/37, there's no way you'll get in, not a chance.

(Seriously, though, you'll be in the middle of the pack. Of course, being as only the top students apply at top schools typically, this could put you more toward the end. Then again, top 10 means nothing unless you're going into academic medicine. In all seriousness, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Simply apply to a range of schools in each tier and see who invites you for an interview. The med school you attend doesn't mean much in the real world.)

Last edited:
Simply apply to a range of schools in each tier and see who invites you for an interview. The med school you attend doesn't mean much in the real world.
How do you determine to which tier said schools belong? I have the MSAR and just flipping through it picking out schools seems like a bad tactic, but one that I have adopted...