5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Club for all those who
1. Like the schools
2. Like the weather
3. Like Silicon Valley (i.e has to have a Fry's next door)
4. Whatever other reasons one might like Cali.

Post here: Why do you like California?

MasterMD

it's a smile on the rocks
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
its my home... love the weather.. all of my friends and family are here... want to live here for the rest of my life.... mountains, beach, valley, desert, etc all within a few hours. need i say more? ;)

and yes i have lived in many other places and traveled a lot so im not just being closed-minded!

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
We have an album dedicated to us performed by a vegetable of a particular color.
-Dr. P.

About the Ads

SpenserKuntz

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
UC Davis is a great school. Haven't gone there, but both my sisters did, and they loved it. It's a great small town enviornment, with a lot of really cool stuff around (and I do believe it has a Fry's).

jstuds_66

Free cat to a good home
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
USA
Status
Attending Physician
SpenserKuntz said:
UC Davis is a great school. Haven't gone there, but both my sisters did, and they loved it. It's a great small town enviornment, with a lot of really cool stuff around (and I do believe it has a Fry's).
I totally agree!!! I grew up in N. Cali.. UC Davis is definitely my number 1 choice. I'm in georgia right now, did undergrad in idaho and even spent 2 years in Brazil. Nothing beats California!!! Like someone else said earlier, mountains (snowboarding), beach, desert, hiking, kayaking, etc. Cali has everything!!!

socal78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status
Medical Student
UCLA is my choice, but you really can't go wrong with any UC school.

OP
durfen

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jstuds_66 said:
I totally agree!!! I grew up in N. Cali.. UC Davis is definitely my number 1 choice. I'm in georgia right now, did undergrad in idaho and even spent 2 years in Brazil. Nothing beats California!!! Like someone else said earlier, mountains (snowboarding), beach, desert, hiking, kayaking, etc. Cali has everything!!!
I've heard good things about UCD, especially from my high school chem teacher, who graduated from UCD. Currently it's my third choice, behind Stanford and UCSF.
Really, the weather, the people (personality and diversity), the opportunity, cali's the best state in the US.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
durfen said:
3. Like Silicon Valley (i.e has to have a Fry's next door)
I don't know anyone who lives willingly in the Valley unless there's a six figure job involved...

astrolux

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
CA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
I interviewed at UCD and UCLA and I actually had a much better time at UCD. Not to mention I grew up in So. Cal and LA is just plain stressful. Personally, I would have loved to get an interview at UCSF. The location, cost, and educational opportunities make it my number one. Unfortunately, my numbers didn't "fit." Good luck to you all and I hope you have better luck than I did landing a school in California. There is NO better place to be regardless of which half of the state you are in.

OP
durfen

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
notdeadyet said:
I don't know anyone who lives willingly in the Valley unless there's a six figure job involved...
It's not that expensive over here....just can't buy a house...on campus housing isn't that expensive as well and you get aid.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
durfen said:
It's not that expensive over here....just can't buy a house...on campus housing isn't that expensive as well and you get aid.
Ah, Stanford. Apologies. I forget about Palo Alto with its actual personality surrounded by the suburban blight of the area. PA's nice, though.

OP
durfen

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
notdeadyet said:
Ah, Stanford. Apologies. I forget about Palo Alto with its actual personality surrounded by the suburban blight of the area. PA's nice, though.
SFs only 20 mins away too...

Sophie

Lead Foot
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Sacramento, CA
Status
Attending Physician
I love California. :love:

I've lived all over the state and have yet to find an area I don't like. Plus, my family's in Davis, and my fiancé's family is in San Diego, so that's another big plus. If only it weren't so expensive...

OP
durfen

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Haha, never rode by helicopter, though I always watch them. But its about 20 mins on a good day.

Shake_yabooties

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Siggy said:
In-N-Out for the win
I second this.
And let's add all the great ethnicity foods, including mexican and asian cuisine. (cheap too!)

plainolerichie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Siggy said:
In-N-Out for the win
I'm from TN and had never been to Cali or In-N-Out before. I went when I came in for my interview (it was one thing I was actually excited about). I must say that I wasn't impressed.

browniegirl86

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Portland, OR
Status
Attending Physician
plainolerichie said:
I'm from TN and had never been to Cali or In-N-Out before. I went when I came in for my interview (it was one thing I was actually excited about). I must say that I wasn't impressed.
Ok this is off-topic, but every time I see your username I think it says "plain nicole richie" :oops:

On topic, San Francisco rules. So I'm pretty psyched.

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
plainolerichie said:
It can be an aquired taste, and you have to know what to order. I happen to have an In-n-Out 1 block from my house. Double-double animal style with no tomatoes :thumbup: I'm hungry

About the Ads