1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

First DAT; Tell me what you think?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by grantsross89UM, Aug 15, 2011.

1. grantsross89UM

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well, Im new to actually posting on sdn, but ive been reading it every now and then for about a year and a half; so let me give you some background.

Im 22, started out at a University, didn't have my priorities straight, and have been back home for the past two years. I have worked full time during this time while going to school at the local community college for the past year and a half. Obviously, my grades were not good at the university, but Ive been making up some ground at CC (3.92 GPA for 67 hours throughout 3 semesters and a summer (4.0 science)). I plan to go to another university (starting next week) for the next three semesters to graduate. I just want to get some feedback my stats and DAT.

Stats:
    Overall GPA: ~3.05
    sGPA: ~3.5

These values are based on my own calculations of ALL colleges attended, including my bad grades at the first university.

I know I have to continue with good grades at the University I am about to start and that will help with admissions (or you could say to prove myself at the University level).

Now for the DAT; which I took today:

PAT: 25
    RC: 21
    QR: 19
    BIO: 17
    CHEM: 18
    ORGO: 19
    TS: 18
    AA: 19

I feel good about everything (except for maybe bio, but I have only had freshman bio 1 and 2 at CC, which was very watered down so most of this has been independent study)

I have two questions:

1. Should I retake the DAT again to up the sciences?

2. What are my chances at admisssion with this score?
    I live in MS and will be applying to UMC and other Dent Schools in the south, but I would be completely happy with UMC.. AA average for UMC is 17.4 and PAT is 16.9.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TwentyTwelve

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Its tough to say what your admissions process will be like...first the positives:

1) Nice upward trend in your GPA, especially science.
    2) UMC is your state school.
    3) You seem to have your act together now and that is key to succeeding in this crazy application process.
    4) Your DAT is average for getting into UMC.

However...there are some negatives:

1) Low overall GPA even with an upward trend. With all straight A's you might get that up to a 3.2/3.3 which is still low for UMC. According to my ADEA book from last year their average GPA is 3.7 and sGPA of 3.63.
    2)Your upward trend is from CC classes which are typically looked at as easier. I hate to say it but your situation keeps the stigma alive as you did not do well at a university, went to CC and aced all your classes. Its tough to convince the admissions committee that this was your attitude changing versus simply easier classes. Can it be done? Sure, but it requires high grades at a university and rocking the DAT which leads me to #3...
    3) Your DAT, while slightly above the national overall average does not match well with your CC GPA...people can get away with some CC classes with high DAT scores that shows the curriculum was challenging.
    4) Some schools don't accept CC's, and most only accept around 30-60 credits. UMC accepts 65 credits according to ADEA so I am not sure how your credits line up with this cutoff.

So...what does all this mean? You have a well below average GPA, upward trend via CC classes, and average DAT. This may surprise some people but I think you have a 10-15% shot of getting in at UMC. I would not be too surprised if you got rejected from most out of state schools but if you get an interview at UMC you might be able to wow them while emphasizing your upward trend. However, if you don't get in, retake aiming for a 21/22, keep your upward trend rolling at a university, and reapply with confidence. I would also really get heavily involved with EC's to prove your passion to dentistry. Pour everything you have into this next year leaving no stone unturned and you won't be able to look back and say...shoulda done this! Good luck!

4. grantsross89UM

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    bump.... yes, i just bumped my own thread

can i get some more feedback? im thinking about retaking!

5. Philippines03j

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Honestly with a sub-par GPA I would retake your DAT. Your scores are actually not bad but having an average DAT with a below average GPA is not going to give you the best chance at getting in (although #s are not everything when it comes to dental school application).

I think your chances will be good if you can pull As at your university in order to raise your overall gpa to 3.3/3.2 and get at least 20TS/AA on your DAT. As you stand right now i would give you about a 20-30% chance if you applied to a well thought out 20 schools.

Really all you need to do is raise biology to a 20 and your chems up a point or two each. Your other scores look great.

Word of Caution: Only retake the test when you KNOW you can do better in all of the section. Good luck:thumbup:

6. bing12

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    i think your fine, esp applying in the south. If anything, focus on getting your gpa up, a 19/18/25 is enough i believe. a 21 in RC is pretty good as well.

7. 93geo

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    :thumbup:

#6 93geo, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  8. DrRoyal Pains

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your DAT will get you in somewhere, like the previous posters stated. Also, how many pre-reqs did you take at this community college? Because most schools do not accept pre-reqs from a community college. I am sure there are a few schools out there that do, but with this said, it will put you at a great disadvantage when competing with students who have all their credits completed at a University (even with a 4.0 Sgpa). With this said, it is in your interest to retake this courses at the University you are about to attend. Good luck!