"First Date" feel for interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else get that feeling that the interview is pretty much like a first date? I know that my top choice school had their adcoms meet yesterday to decide on the next batch of acceptances, but i haven't heard anything so far.

It's like you go through all the individual parts of the interview that you remember, what went right, what went wrong, what could have been right but might have been interpreted as wrong. Gottta love that sitting and waiting by the phone feeling.

I find myself sometimes hitting refresh 4-5 times every minute hoping for some luck. Gah, just venting the frustration from waiting on a boring friday night...... :oops: Hope everyone is having fun tonight..

Members don't see this ad.

I've got the flu :( .. so i'll be lurking all night.

You're right, the interview is def. like a first date experience. Blah.... its actually more like a "speed dating" experience where theres 40 guys trying to impress one girl or vice versa

We had a meeting for pre-meds at my school and the speaker, who used to be an adcom member, recommended that we look at the interview process like a first date. He said that they are interested in you and obviously you're interested in them, so just be nice, don't say anything stupid and you're good to go. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Zoom-Zoom said:
He said that they are interested in you and obviously you're interested in them, so just be nice, don't say anything stupid and you're good to go. :thumbup:

That's pretty cool. I like that simple, yet effective outlook :D.

Turkeyman said:
That's pretty cool. I like that simple, yet effective outlook :D.

Yeah me too. It makes sense when you think about it too... It's better to hedge your bets and play it conservatively than go out on a limb and try to impress the interviewer with how amazing you are. The difference between a neutral interview impression and a negative one is a lot bigger, IMO, than the difference between a good interview and a neutral one. The way I see it, schools already have a fair idea of who they want to accept. They are probably hoping that the interviews will enforce these ideas. Unless you come across negatively, your pretty much set.

Zoom-Zoom said:
Yeah me too. It makes sense when you think about it too... It's better to hedge your bets and play it conservatively than go out on a limb and try to impress the interviewer with how amazing you are. The difference between a neutral interview impression and a negative one is a lot bigger, IMO, than the difference between a good interview and a neutral one. The way I see it, schools already have a fair idea of who they want to accept. They are probably hoping that the interviews will enforce these ideas. Unless you come across negatively, your pretty much set.

That totally depends on the kind of applicant you are. There are definitely people who are borderline candidates who NEED to get big points in the interview to get in. (There are actual instances I know of where a good interview made the difference between admission and probable reapplication). There are definitely also instances of stellar candidates who were too passive in interviews, and get bypassed by the lower stat individuals who have a better rap, and know how to sell themselves. In my opinion the interview is a learnable and practicable skill, and you can seal your fate by not picking up any points at that juncture. There are even a few schools which treat all candidates as equal at that stage, which gives those with good interview skills a huge advantage over anyone who tries to be neutral and not say anything stupid. (Most people who try to not say anything stupid tend to err on the side of not saying much, or giving very abbreviated answers, which results in a bad interview). And most schools may only accept a fraction of all interviewees (let's say 1/2), so you really want to add some positive points at this juncture if you can.
Same as first dates, really -- there are folks who are too passive and don't get a second date, and folks who have a good rap and know how to bust a move and close the deal. Then again, based on the previous virgin thread, folks on SDN don't do much deal closing, I guess.

jammin06 said:
Does anyone else get that feeling that the interview is pretty much like a first date?

Nah-- I don't really think so. Women always reject me, yet so far I'm one for one on med school interviews.

finch said:
Nah-- I don't really think so. Women always reject me, yet so far I'm one for one on med school interviews.
:laugh: Now you should just apply the strategy you employ for interviews on your dates.

seems more like an arranged marriage to me. Two people forced together, an older wealthy physician that can support the young student. Kind of like fiddler on the roof.

it feels that way when your interviewer at your top choice is damn hot
(which is a BAD THING)

In the car, I just can't wait...
To pick you up on our very first date
Is it cool if I hold your hand?
Is it wrong if I think it's lame to dance?
Do you like my stupid hair?
Would you guess that I didn't know what to wear?
I'm just scared of what you think.
You make me nervous so I really can't eat
:laugh: