First day of dental school in 140 characters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanangel4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across a similar thread in the med school forum and it seemed like an interesting idea. 140 characters, go!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
what have I gotten myself into

Reactions: 12 users
I can’t wait to get to know all of my classmates! I hope I get a 4.0 GPA by the time I graduate. I’m looking forward to the next 4 years!

Members don't see this ad :)
^^This
Or some more explicit variation such as "Am I F&#@ing Crazy?"

Or if you are a more optimistic person you may start off as "This isn't so bad as long as I keep up!", but that will soon change.

"Eight hours of orientation. Same thing tomorrow, and the next day. When does class actually start?

Reactions: 11 users
F**k this

Reactions: 4 users
Orientation is a few days away and I have to pre-watch orientation stuff and now I'm wondering "I never knew being a dentist would be this complicated"

Any wife material in my class? :)

^^^ And this answer is unfortunately a "H-e-l-l NO" :(

Reactions: 10 users
Are all of these orientation sessions mandatory?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ya man unfortunately. Our class has like 4 or 5 of them, and they all are either married or in a serious relationship.
XD I can't wait for your posts on the drama waiting to happen haha (when you do find wife-material ones)

Are all of these orientation sessions mandatory?

I feel ya. Towards the end of the week it started to see like they were all the same ie D2s answering questions and telling us how to get involved.

On topic though: I can't wait to get my instruments!

Ya man unfortunately. Our class has like 4 or 5 of them, and they all are either married or in a serious relationship.
that sucks lol. might as well start looking for my future wife before I start dental school

Guys... Why in the world wouldn't a woman in dental school also be the way to go?!?!

Turns out, we can have kids and be good wives, too. :p

Reactions: 2 users
As a guy from my college and I looked at one another we both thought the same thing...
"How the hell did that idiot get in here?"

Reactions: 3 users
Engaged to 2nd year hygiene student, can confirm. Get to know those ladies!
Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I worked for a dentist last summer who just divorced his hygienist wife. I was filling in until he replaced her. Can I say AWKWARD! Also, he had to sell everything (house, boat , rv, plane, EVERYTHING!) and give her half because she helped him "establish his practice" ( he had to give lump sum for practice $$$) I say PRE NUP!

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I worked for a dentist last summer who just divorced his hygienist wife. I was filling in until he replaced her. Can I say AWKWARD! Also, he had to sell everything (house, boat , rv, plane, EVERYTHING!) and give her half because she helped him "establish his practice" ( he had to give lump sum for practice $$$) I say PRE NUP!
We met in middle school, have been dating for over 5 years and engaged for almost 2 years.

I respect your opinion, but will not be getting a pre-nup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

We met in middle school, have been dating for over 5 years and engaged for almost 2 years.

Prenups are like seat belts for a car. You wear a seat belt when your gf drives right? You just never know sometimes. Everyone trusts everyone until they do something stupid. My SO even brought up the prenup a while back.

Last edited:
Prenups are like seat belts for a car. You wear a seat belt when your gf drives right? You just never know sometimes. Everyone trusts everyone until they do something stupid. My SO even brought up the prenup a while back.

Nothing says "divorce is a clear option" like we need a prenup when you don't already have serious assets.

Plane?

Nothing says "divorce is a clear option" like we need a prenup when you don't already have serious assets.

Pretty sure the divorce rate in the US is currently hovering around 50%.

Nothing says "I'm naive" like thinking that something that one in two married couples go through will never ever ever happen to you.

Nothing says "I'm naive" like thinking that something that one in two married couples go through will never ever ever happen to you.

I would say those are pretty good odds.

If anything, I would think about a prenup against a dental student so that I wouldn't have to take half a $400k loan.

We are all acting like dentists are so super rich, which is far from the case.

I would say those are pretty good odds.

If anything, I would think about a prenup against a dental student so that I wouldn't have to take half a $400k loan.

We are all acting like dentists are so super rich, which is far from the case.

If you think prenups protect only the so super rich... well, that's a nice fantasy world in which you live.

A prenup will protect your investments, your PRACTICE (as irishmom pointed out), which by the way your practice is the most important thing to protect in this case probably... and you know, a good prenup will protect both parties.

Sorry that I don't live in lovey-dovey lalaland, but marriage is a business arrangement just as much as it is a love arrangement. In a marriage you don't just say "Oh hey I'm gonna spend my life with this person!" You also merge your assets and those assets need to be protected in case twenty years down the line, hubby decides he wants a young piece of ass instead of a 50 year old woman in his bed every night. Or in case wifey starts fooling around with the pool boy. Cause **** happens and people suck and you have to always be prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.

No pre-nup is like not wearing a helmet or jacket while on a motorcycle driving on the autobahn..or I guess just driving a motorcycle on the autobahn itself.

Nothing says "I'm naive" like thinking you know what divorce rates are when you really don't. Rates are actually more like 40% and have been dropping for decades. And our generation (so far) appears to have lower divorce rates than those before us.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/02/u...2000&bicmet=1419773522000&_r=3&abt=0002&abg=0

Hide money in Cayman's

If you think prenups protect only the so super rich... well, that's a nice fantasy world in which you live.

A prenup will protect your investments, your PRACTICE (as irishmom pointed out), which by the way your practice is the most important thing to protect in this case probably... and you know, a good prenup will protect both parties.

Sorry that I don't live in lovey-dovey lalaland, but marriage is a business arrangement just as much as it is a love arrangement. In a marriage you don't just say "Oh hey I'm gonna spend my life with this person!" You also merge your assets and those assets need to be protected in case twenty years down the line, hubby decides he wants a young piece of ass instead of a 50 year old woman in his bed every night. Or in case wifey starts fooling around with the pool boy. Cause **** happens and people suck and you have to always be prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.
Prenup does not mean that the other side does not get anything. You can write a prenup in any way you want. The good thing yo will always know what ahead, if you decide to separate

You do know if one of the party cheats on the other the prenup is dissolved right?

You do know if one of the party cheats on the other the prenup is dissolved right?
How you write the prenup depends on you and your lawyer. People cheat so often it could not possibly dissolve all of the prenups - just too easy. There could be a clause, stating that a person does not get anything in a case of cheating, but prenup would still determine the faith of children, which you can challenge in court. Save money

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that prenups are to protect assets that the parties had before marriage, however any assets acquired after marriage are considered joint property, irregardless. I'm sure that a lawyer can modify them to suit whatever needs the party has, but isn't that the general idea?

Now I'm glad I haven't made the commitment haha... Or I'm just jealous coz I haven't had a date in years lol.

Why am I being told the same thing over and over? Apparently these classes are going to be like fire hoses that you will not be able to drink entirely out of. Thanks for the optimism upperclassmen and faculty!

They were married for over 30 years. He is in his 60's. Thay had been together for a long time....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that prenups are to protect assets that the parties had before marriage, however any assets acquired after marriage are considered joint property, irregardless. I'm sure that a lawyer can modify them to suit whatever needs the party has, but isn't that the general idea?
You will never know until you consult a lawyer

It transitioned from "first day of dental school" into "why you should get a pre-nup" in 140 characters or less. nice

Reactions: 4 users

I am the luckiest person on Earth to have glimmer as my real life big in dental school.

Those were my thoughts from that scary 1st day :)

Reactions: 5 users
prenups are useless as more often than not they get thrown out in court...men are just powerless in court. i know a guy who was cheated on and the wife still was able to get more time with the kids, get child support which we used to buy herself shoes/clothes, and then took a majority of his belongings. lol
it still blows my mind how many guys AREN'T getting prenups or paternity tests.

prenups are useless as more often than not they get thrown out in court...men are just powerless in court. i know a guy who was cheated on and the wife still was able to get more time with the kids, get child support which we used to buy herself shoes/clothes, and then took a majority of his belongings. lol
it still blows my mind how many guys AREN'T getting prenups or paternity tests.
Because he shouldn't have gotten a cheap prenup

I am the luckiest person on Earth to have glimmer as my real life big in dental school.

Those were my thoughts from that scary 1st day :)

Girl, you know I always got you! :D :D