First day of med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hylacinerea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to adjust to the rigors of med school? How long before it isn't totally new and overwhelming anymore, just the usual? Do most people hit the ground running or is there a large adjustment period where you don't really know what to do or study for? I guess I'm basically just wondering how long until you start to feel more confident with what is expected of you.

I've been thinking about the larger picture for so long it's only now that reality is starting to sink in. For the last few years I've just been worrying about applying/gettin in, then making arrangements for financing and moving and all that stuff. Now that everything's in place it suddenly hit me that in about a month I'll be up to my ears in course work. I guess now it's time to start worrying about residency huh?

Cheers,
Hc

Members don't see this ad.

hylacinerea said:
How long does it take to adjust to the rigors of med school? How long before it isn't totally new and overwhelming anymore, just the usual? Do most people hit the ground running or is there a large adjustment period where you don't really know what to do or study for? I guess I'm basically just wondering how long until you start to feel more confident with what is expected of you.

I've been thinking about the larger picture for so long it's only now that reality is starting to sink in. For the last few years I've just been worrying about applying/gettin in, then making arrangements for financing and moving and all that stuff. Now that everything's in place it suddenly hit me that in about a month I'll be up to my ears in course work. I guess now it's time to start worrying about residency huh?

Cheers,
Hc

I know how you feel...I am starting in two weeks, and have some of the same concerns. What I can offer is what has been offered to me. As long as you start out with the knowledge that you are in the same boat as everyone else, confidence-wise you will be fine. As far as getting used to it, I am not planning on going in with any set way of learning or studying, because I'm sure most of my previously used methods do not apply. I plan on taking things as they come, and being open to changing how I do things.
Sorry if this is more of a pep talk than advice, but it's all I've got!
Good luck!

macdoc said:
I know how you feel...I am starting in two weeks, and have some of the same concerns. What I can offer is what has been offered to me. As long as you start out with the knowledge that you are in the same boat as everyone else, confidence-wise you will be fine. As far as getting used to it, I am not planning on going in with any set way of learning or studying, because I'm sure most of my previously used methods do not apply. I plan on taking things as they come, and being open to changing how I do things.
Sorry if this is more of a pep talk than advice, but it's all I've got!
Good luck!

i just think about it like it appears the ave about study time is like 10-30 hrs a week depending on who you talk to. so plan on studying alot. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the most you can do to prepare yourself is to not try too hard to prepare yourself. Have fun-go on a vacation or something. You wont have an opportunity to be as carefree as you are now for many years. :)

In preparation for med school I was going to read anatomy texts a few hours each night, but after readin ~100 posts telling me not to study I said F it and here I sit w/ a fine pilsner getting ready to go to the beach with the most recent issue of Maxim - not anatomy

Buckeye(OH) said:
awesome, I have a geek as a classmate.

Isn't everyone in med school a geek? ;)

but not everyone gets to goto rome to see the ded pope and hook up with some random chick from cali and then forget about her hehe

I didnt forget about her, I accidently deleted her number, which displeases me greatly.

Probably better that way.

oh dood that sucks ... she looks hot too. maybe she has ur number from you calling her? did u ever call her? is it on ur history? sucks man... look at your phone bill.

espbeliever said:
i just think about it like it appears the ave about study time is like 10-30 hrs a week depending on who you talk to. so plan on studying alot. :D
What a range... I hope I end up on the lower end of that spectrum.

espbeliever said:
oh dood that sucks ... she looks hot too. maybe she has ur number from you calling her? did u ever call her? is it on ur history? sucks man... look at your phone bill.

nope, nope, and nope. She was with a friend, who luckily, I was able to find her email addres.

She was hotter in person.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buckeye(OH) said:
nope, nope, and nope. She was with a friend, who luckily, I was able to find her email addres.

She was hotter in person.

damn... i wanna be a player like you heh.. both her and her friend... nice

hylacinerea said:

Cheers,
Hc

Just be prepared that the first semester will suck. I've been warned from my friends currently in school. They stated that you will spend the first semester just figuring out WHAT you should be studying and figuring out HOW to study. Then you finally catch on in time to take finals. ;) The first year you will just be adjusting. Just take it one step at a time and be prepared to put all your effort into studying and trying to balance your life.

I'm sure you'll be fine, most people find a way to pull through. This wasn't meant to scare you just advice I've been told.

mshheaddoc said:
Just be prepared that the first semester will suck. I've been warned from my friends currently in school. They stated that you will spend the first semester just figuring out WHAT you should be studying and figuring out HOW to study. Then you finally catch on in time to take finals. ;) The first year you will just be adjusting. Just take it one step at a time and be prepared to put all your effort into studying and trying to balance your life.

I'm sure you'll be fine, most people find a way to pull through. This wasn't meant to scare you just advice I've been told.

Good advice. I think it's better to be realistic than beat yourself up if things don't come easy right away.

Oh yeah and why I say finals ... I mean in the spring ;) Not in the fall. You'll find that there will ALWAYS be too much information. You'll figure how to weed it out. Eventually you'll get the hang of it but just remember life is a struggle and its never easy. Plus you're not alone!!! :luck:

bbake87 said:
In preparation for med school I was going to read anatomy texts a few hours each night, but after readin ~100 posts telling me not to study I said F it and here I sit w/ a fine pilsner getting ready to go to the beach with the most recent issue of Maxim - not anatomy

You know those people telling you not to read anatomy texts before school begins? I bet they're reading more than anybody else! Its those darn gunners that have shed their pre-med selves and have morphed into anally competitive med students- you know, the ones who kept saying they "barely studied" for their Organic Chem test.

samdwi said:
You know those people telling you not to read anatomy texts before school begins? I bet they're reading more than anybody else! Its those darn gunners that have shed their pre-med selves and have morphed into anally competitive med students- you know, the ones who kept saying they "barely studied" for their Organic Chem test.

Damn, more gunners? I’m going to go sit in my closet and whimper for a while…… some one call me when school starts.

samdwi said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't "gunners" those people who have bad intentions such as not sharing notes or giving you jacked up notes. Gunners are those who will not put any effort in helping you understand the material cuz they are scared that you will ruin the curve? BTW "those people telling you not to read anatomy texts before school begins? I bet they're reading more than anybody else! " Are just f*#&* nerds. I know for damn sure I can't "read anatomy" or study anything for that matter if it's not required or if I'm not given a deadline.

Those who say they "barely studied" when in reality really studied their butt of are not gunners. They are humble people hoping that you will not panic. Afterall how arrogant will it sound to say "i'm here to smoke the exam cuz I studied years for it". Plus it's comforting to others when you say "you barerly studied" so they feel better about themselves. I do it all the time :laugh:

pmpndaflip said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't "gunners" those people who have bad intentions such as not sharing notes or giving you jacked up notes. Gunners are those who will not put any effort in helping you understand the material cuz they are scared that you will ruin the curve? BTW "those people telling you not to read anatomy texts before school begins? I bet they're reading more than anybody else! " Are just f*#&* nerds. I know for damn sure I can't "read anatomy" or study anything for that matter if it's not required or if I'm not given a deadline.

Those who say they "barely studied" when in reality really studied their butt of are not gunners. They are humble people hoping that you will not panic. Afterall how arrogant will it sound to say "i'm here to smoke the exam cuz I studied years for it". Plus it's comforting to others when you say "you barerly studied" so they feel better about themselves. I do it all the time :laugh:

I know what you mean... I "barely study" too! :laugh:

hylacinerea said:

Cheers,
Hc

It takes about 4 years to get used to the course work - by which time you are done with school and have become a resident. The amount of work will never cease to amaze you, and you actually will be surprised when it is over because you won't know what to do with yourself.

pmpndaflip said:

I don't know about all of them doing it to be nice. I guess there are some people that do that but from what I've seen the "I don't study that much" attitude is usually comboed with them being completely enraged when someone is studying when they are not.

True true, I talked to an someone about what to do summer after first year. The person said "Oh I just had fun." Later said person lets it slip that he outlined all of big robins over the summer.

samdwi said:

I'm to drunk to be a gunner

bbake87 said:

ive heard of some ppl studying better drunk. consequently they need to be drunk to remember what they studied come test time.

:rolleyes:

bbake87 said:
Same here - maybe my beer avatar gave that way already -... but the gunner type of " I didn't study that much" is when they get the results, they start saying ' YES ' and showing people how well they did... and the ones who say before a test " it will be so easy, you won't need to study that much" - trying to psycologically fck with the weak minded. I HATE THESE LOSERS.

These are clearly different from our good intentions of saying "I didn't study 'THAT' much" to avoid any potential panic - and then taking our score and quietly going home with it - be it a good or a bad score. :thumbup:

pmpndaflip said:

"Gunners", according to the internationally acclaimed Samdwi dictionary means "...any medical student who gets better grades than myself..." :D

In all seriousness, I spend about a few hours a week (about 2-3 tops) sitting in the libarary just reading basic science medical texts - more to gain familiarity with terminology, not really to gain an edge on classmates or anything. Of course, I spend even more time laughing out loud whenver I read about the various sphincter muscles...

samdwi said:
"Gunners", according to the internationally acclaimed Samdwi dictionary means "...any medical student who gets better grades than myself..." :D

haha funny ish!!...Well "Gunners" according to my dictionary are the dudes/hoes who have their finger on the trigger in a drive-by.

BTW for anyone who can study all this anatomy stuff, etc, etc. over the summer before school actually starts....props to you!! You deserve to get a higher score. If for whatever reason you do not get a higher score please don't be bitter at your classmates :laugh:

hylacinerea said:

Cheers,
Hc

Med school isn't that bad at all. It's kind of like summer camp (at first). But there a lot of intricacies that need to be addressed so things go smoothly and you don't end up overworked.

*Edited by DrMom: advertising*

Good luck,
Anesthesiaman
:)

anesthesiaman said:
Med school isn't that bad at all. It's kind of like summer camp (at first). But there a lot of intricacies that need to be addressed so things go smoothly and you don't end up overworked. Go to:

www.gmedicine.com
Use MSOTS Referral Number: 8czgjj

Good luck,
Anesthesiaman
:)
great link! Thanks!

I think that I finally got my bearings sometime during 2nd semester, first year. Just keep your head down and keep studying. Try to take 30 - 60 minutes for yourself or with your significant other everyday... it helps!

I'm an MS-IV, and definitely not a gunner. Trust me, you will never pick up what they want you to know or what they are going to test you on by reading the text. Medical school is very different from anything else you've ever done. The best way that I've heard it explained is that it's like trying to sip water from a fire hydrant. Eventually, you will figure out how to study. Everyone does.

Good luck!